Babalu

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Babalu
« Previous Page
gimmper
3/5/07 11:23:06PM
You talk but don't comprehend....I am not speaking figuretively...His father owns a shoe shop and his focus has changed.. that's all i'm saying...don't look to deep into this...you might sprain your brain...SHOE SHOP...yes thats what I said SHOE SHOP...why get paid lousy to get your head beat in when you can take over your fathers shoe shop.
Svartorm
3/6/07 12:05:55AM
Do you have a source on this shoe shop, or are you just ruining a perfectly legitimate conversation?

They will probably give Babalu to the loser of Machida/Griffin or possibly to Sam Hogar or another TUFer they want to put over. Babalu has plenty of skill, but rushes his game way too much. He needs to learn to impliment a game plan and keep himself in check. Hopefully they give him some time before his next fight to train hard and work on that.
Playground_Samurai
3/6/07 11:36:42AM
IMO Babalu has gone into his last two fights with the wrong gameplan. In no way is he finished or washed up or whatever. Add to that the fact that Lambert is no slouch and imo is probably somewhere near the top 10 in the LHW division. Babalu has gone in his last two fights and tried to stand and strike. That is obviously not his strong point. His record shows 14 submission victories compared to his 2 ko's, with his 5 latest victories coming via submission. Compare this to Liddells 13 ko's with his last 10 wins coming via ko, and Lamberts 12 ko's with 4 of his last 5 wins coming via ko. Just doesn't seem like the smartest idea Sobral has had.

Sobral has fought the best fighters in the world(Fedor, Chuck, Shogun, etc.) and has defeated some of them. I have endless amounts of respect for him and anybody that knows anything about mma should also. Besides the fact that I believe this is just a minor slump and Babalu has some good fights left in his tank, his resume and accomplishments alone should keep him in the UFC for a little while longer atleast.
greeneyebandit
3/6/07 5:22:52PM
Babalu needs to regroup...my only concern is his jaw...you can't train or condition yourself for "glassjaw" either you have one or don't...He is still a threat to anyone that he faces...in the future I will have to consider a wager carefully if he's going against a big puncher. As for the shoeshop...where do get that Gimp?????
Svartorm
3/7/07 12:58:34AM
I wouldn't say Babalu has a glass jaw at all. He took no less than six uppercuts from Lambert after Lambert regained his feet, and took plenty of hard shots before the hook that put him down. Chuck dropped him with a shinkick to the face in the first fight, and a flurry of punches in the second, so he does have a chin. Not a great one granted, but a chin just the same.
BalledBull
3/7/07 1:00:15PM
Ok, I havent heard about a shoeshop for Babalu, but I will say that there are definately things outside of MMA. I believe if he left fighting he would continue training fighters. He would have a foot in the door for that So I for one get the point gimmper. Babalu should have been a bit more cautious in this fight, Lambert's got mad strength. If Babalu would have contained Jason like he did the first round he woulda had a damn good fight. But then this thread woulda read, Whats next for Lambert. Speaking of that, What is next for Lambert? And is this a question of Babalu being weak? Or Lambert being strong? I say Lambert gets a title shot for that performance!
waylon_o
3/7/07 1:03:35PM

Posted by BalledBull

Ok, I havent heard about a shoeshop for Babalu, but I will say that there are definately things outside of MMA. I believe if he left fighting he would continue training fighters. He would have a foot in the door for that So I for one get the point gimmper. Babalu should have been a bit more cautious in this fight, Lambert's got mad strength. If Babalu would have contained Jason like he did the first round he woulda had a damn good fight. But then this thread woulda read, Whats next for Lambert. Speaking of that, What is next for Lambert? And is this a question of Babalu being weak? Or Lambert being strong? I say Lambert gets a title shot for that performance!

That fight alone wasn't good enough for a title shot...look at all the lhw that are in line?
fedorwins1
3/7/07 1:24:09PM
I think Babalu is gonna go down the same route as Ninja
waylon_o
3/7/07 1:25:14PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Come on, he's only lost 2 in a row. If he was 35 or 40 it would be different, but he's not. He's still won 10 of his last 12. Give him a chance.
fedorwins1
3/7/07 1:26:58PM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by fedorwins1

Come on, he's only lost 2 in a row. If he was 35 or 40 it would be different, but he's not. He's still won 10 of his last 12. Give him a chance.

He's a great fighter I'm not saying he is just going to fall off the map, I think in a year or so he will be fighting less known fighters, that's all.
wkm311
3/7/07 1:30:32PM
I dont know about Babalu anymore. He was never that great and now he's lost two in a row, one of which was to a C level fighter. Maybe he's on a bad run, it happens, but I just think that he is overrated...
Hogzilla
3/7/07 1:32:18PM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by BalledBull

That fight alone wasn't good enough for a title shot...look at all the lhw that are in line?

I agree, that one alone wasnt good enough, he's gotta keep the wins coming for a grip! It was a darn good start though.
waylon_o
3/7/07 1:35:00PM

Posted by wkm311

I dont know about Babalu anymore. He was never that great and now he's lost two in a row, one of which was to a C level fighter. Maybe he's on a bad run, it happens, but I just think that he is overrated...

Jason Lambert is not a C-level fighter. He's like 23-6. That's not a c-level fighter's record. He's beat Travis Wiuff, Terry Martin, Rob Macdonald...All of those guys may be C level, but he's also beat Babalu now. If you can consistently beat C-level fighters one after the other and then go up and destroy a contender like Babalu, you're not a C-level fighter.
wkm311
3/7/07 5:39:02PM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by wkm311

Jason Lambert is not a C-level fighter. He's like 23-6. That's not a c-level fighter's record. He's beat Travis Wiuff, Terry Martin, Rob Macdonald...All of those guys may be C level, but he's also beat Babalu now. If you can consistently beat C-level fighters one after the other and then go up and destroy a contender like Babalu, you're not a C-level fighter.

Who has he beaten besides Sobral, who like I think is overrated anyway?...In my opinion in order to be considered a above average fighter you have to beat above average competition. And besides if you go in for a flying knee with both hands by your side, anyone who knows how to throw a punch is going to knock you out. Nothing against Jason Lambert, he is a decent fighter, but not above average...
zephead
3/7/07 5:48:40PM

Posted by wkm311

When you submit Trevor Prangle, Jeremy Horn and Shogun in one night, you have to be pretty good
wkm311
3/7/07 6:03:02PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by wkm311

When you submit Trevor Prangle, Jeremy Horn and Shogun in one night, you have to be pretty good

Point well said. Maybe its just a slump or lack of confidence. All I know is he looked terrible in his last two fights...
BloodandTears
3/8/07 11:48:38AM

Posted by zephead

Posted by wkm311

LOL... Absolutely correct! Good post
Berti
3/8/07 4:57:33PM
he should go to wec and fight their, that is if hes still under contract to ufc.
Ultimate_fighter
3/11/07 12:46:30PM
I like babalu a lot. I think he should fight tito ortiz.. But i also think they should trade him the pride and ufc get a fighter somewhat in chuck's league.
poll77
3/11/07 3:27:42PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

I like babalu a lot. I think he should fight tito ortiz.. But i also think they should trade him the pride and ufc get a fighter somewhat in chuck's league.

trade???? haha
mrsumo
3/12/07 6:56:46AM
Babalu has had some great fights, but he seems to be running a little sluggish. I see that it's only two losses but it's like he blew a couple plugs but is still trying to get to work. If he does come and fight again he is going to need a tune up first. It's kind of like he felt so sure he could win the last few fights that he isn't even training.
Spiderman
3/12/07 6:27:58PM
Babalu has never beaten a High level fighter , and probably never will . Like a bunch of other ufc fighters he got over hyped when he fougth for the ufc title .

Beating Shogun [ back then Shogun was a lower level fighter than Prangley ] and Prangley and Horn is not that great for a LHW ! Prangley and Horn are not top 10 MDW and they are certainly not top level at 205 . Crediting Babalu for a win over Shogun back then is the same as Crediting Eastman with his win over Rampage , or Horns win over Liddel . Shogun has Improved with experiance [ like Rampage and Liddel ] but he also has developed / matured physicaly since then [ unlike Rampage and Liddel ]
gimmper
3/12/07 10:06:22PM
Like I said 2 pages ago...Babalu has a bright future ahead of him IMO...and the opinion of his countryman...Thank you...long live the gluttons
loller90278
3/12/07 10:40:29PM

Posted by gimmper

Like I said 2 pages ago...Babalu has a bright future ahead of him IMO...and the opinion of his countryman...Thank you...long live the gluttons

the future is dim.
BloodandTears
3/13/07 5:35:42PM

Posted by Spiderman

Babalu has never beaten a High level fighter , and probably never will . Like a bunch of other ufc fighters he got over hyped when he fougth for the ufc title .

Beating Shogun [ back then Shogun was a lower level fighter than Prangley ] and Prangley and Horn is not that great for a LHW ! Prangley and Horn are not top 10 MDW and they are certainly not top level at 205 . Crediting Babalu for a win over Shogun back then is the same as Crediting Eastman with his win over Rampage , or Horns win over Liddel . Shogun has Improved with experiance [ like Rampage and Liddel ] but he also has developed / matured physicaly since then [ unlike Rampage and Liddel ]

Man thats taking alot away from Babalu! But what your not mentioning is that when he beat the "No Name" Shogun, Prangley and Horn (All in one night) Horn WAS a high level fighter, coming off of 15 straight wins. When he beat Travis Wiuff, Wiuff was coming off of 19 strait wins. I see what your doing here but your missing a few facts. You say Horn and prangley aren't top 10 contenders, but Horn was in '03! Babalu in fact handed Prangley his first loss, along with Shogun. You also threw out "Like a bunch of other ufc fighters" Babalu has 35 fights (I think) and only a handfull of UFC fights. Shogun would probabaly win Babalu now, I wont disagree with that, but I dont see how you can take away his past accomplishments.
pv3Hpv3p
3/13/07 6:05:56PM

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by Spiderman

Man thats taking alot away from Babalu! But what your not mentioning is that when he beat the "No Name" Shogun, Prangley and Horn (All in one night) Horn WAS a high level fighter, coming off of 15 straight wins. When he beat Travis Wiuff, Wiuff was coming off of 19 strait wins. I see what your doing here but your missing a few facts. You say Horn and prangley aren't top 10 contenders, but Horn was in '03! Babalu in fact handed Prangley his first loss, along with Shogun. You also threw out "Like a bunch of other ufc fighters" Babalu has 35 fights (I think) and only a handfull of UFC fights. Shogun would probabaly win Babalu now, I wont disagree with that, but I dont see how you can take away his past accomplishments.

Good point B&Ts... Babalu has always been good and this guy's just sitting here playing monday morning quarterback...

This logic makes no sense to me... People consider Royce great and look at a list of some of the folks he's beaten in tournaments: Art Jimmerson, Remco Pardoel, and Ron Van Kleif...

And Jeremey Horn not a top contender in '03? I've considered him a top contender since I saw him lose that fight to Frank Shamrock at UFC17(?)

Not trying to flame, but c'mon man, give Sobral a little credit...
Pages: 1 [2]