UFC axes typical tryout format for 'The Ultimate Fighter 16'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC axes typical tryout format for 'The Ultimate Fighter 16'
prophecy033
6/20/12 11:22:29PM
A flurry of calls from UFC officials to MMA managers this week has brought a bevy of welterweights to Las Vegas to try out for the 16th installment of "The Ultimate Fighter."

For the next season officials have scrapped open auditions and opted instead to interview potential contestants directly.

"I've never seen them skip the tryout process and fly guys straight in," one manager told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Link
DrivenDavies15
6/20/12 11:53:39PM
hmm... Could this be hinting at another comeback season?
prophecy033
6/20/12 11:56:00PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I sure as hell hope so. I would be more inclined to watch if that were the case
george112
6/21/12 12:35:31AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I sure as hell hope so. I would be more inclined to watch if that were the case

Agreed

However last season had some pretty sweet subs and KOs
lll-lll
6/21/12 1:45:39AM
Sounds like theymay be raising the bar in talent.
Bubbles
6/21/12 7:41:41AM
I like the elimination round. There are a lot of great fights on it as everyone is fighting for something. But if this is being scrapped for a comeback season, I am all for it
airkerma
6/21/12 9:51:11AM

Posted by Bubbles

I like the elimination round. There are a lot of great fights on it as everyone is fighting for something. But if this is being scrapped for a comeback season, I am all for it

I agree with everything you've stated. I also like the elimination, but if it's a comeback then you don't necessarily need to eliminate anyone before the season really starts.
Card
6/21/12 10:45:38AM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

tease!
machodog76
6/21/12 1:12:49PM
"FX wants to try it again on Friday nights," White said. "But if it's not up to the standards I'm expecting, I'm pretty sure they'll give me what I want. But this season was a smash hit home run for them." interesting way to spin one of the worst seasons (ratings wise).

machodog76
6/21/12 1:20:35PM

Posted by Bubbles

I got the impression they were scrapping the tryout process, which comes before the elimination round. I think it's more like an NFL combine.

"Previous open tryouts have been held around the U.S. and U.K. in hotels, oftentimes in the days following major UFC events in the host city. Fighters would demonstrate their striking and grappling abilities to UFC president Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva. Those who made it beyond the initial stage were interviewed by the show's producers, and the advancing fighters then were flown to Las Vegas for medical screenings."

Shawn91111
6/21/12 4:04:36PM
thought they should have done a comeback season a long time ago.....or stop putting on so many damn ultimate fighters that people dont care about it anymore.
sbulldavid
6/22/12 12:08:34AM
The first couple seasons it was like watching your brothers or friends grow up and then it became a reality show and I rarely watch anymore.