Can The Axe Murder Come Back From His Loss And Be a Champ Again?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Can The Axe Murder Come Back From His Loss And Be a Champ Again?
Fumar-Fortiuse
3/22/07 10:49:35AM
If you saw the Hendo, Wandy fight then I'm sure all of you were surprised to see a more timid Wandy. He just didn't look like himself out there and now everyone is saying that it is over for him, he's too old now and he doesn't have that killer instict anymore. Well I have to say this is B.S. It was one fight and as we all know unless you're Feador every fighter has off nights even if you are champion, like I said unless you are Feador. But I wouldn't be so quick to write Wand off. I know most pride fans and even my teammate would like to see Shogun get a shot at the Pride Middleweight Title. Here's my feeling if Shogun does in fact get his shot then I would love and I'm sure all you would like to see it to, for Wandy to go to the UFC. I have had many debates on who would win between Lidell and Silva. As a fan that thinks Dana White protects his money maker by putting Lidell in fights he knows the ice man can get a knock out in, this is one fight Lidell would get to see the knock out but from a different point of view. I'm telling you if someone gets in Lidells face and shows that they aren't intimidated and they press the action on him he will fold. Now not just any fighter can do this I mean Lidell is good at 205lbs but there isn't a doubt in my mind that Chute Boxe could own both belts at 205lbs.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/22/07 1:50:59PM
Your gonna get flamed for this one

hippysmacker
3/22/07 2:01:42PM
No reason to flame anyone, it's just his opinion. I personally don't think Wandy is done, I just think he needs to regroup and maybe rethink his style a little. As fighter's get more technically skilled, simple overwhelming them isn't going to work as much. As for Wandy/Chuck I disagree, I think Chuck fears no one, and would love this fight to happen. Consequently I think Wandy wants it too, so let's FINALLY see it.I have always thougth Chuck's style is a perfect counterpoint to Wandy's. If Wandy adjusted his style some he would have a better shot IMO. Still we will never know unless they actually fight. I also agree he should go to the UFC. It m ight be a change of scenery would do him some good. Shogun could go after the Pride belt ,while he went after the UFC's. He's only 30 , he's got plenty of time to turn it around and be a champ again. I think the person who would least like to see him in the UFC is Rampage. He hasn't been the same since Wandy KOed him twice to me. Wandy was/is/and will always be a legend IMO.
Svartorm
3/23/07 2:25:36AM

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

I'm telling you if someone gets in Lidells face and shows that they aren't intimidated and they press the action on him he will fold.

I seem to recall someone named Sobral tried that and was in sleepyland in just under a minute.
ac_gi
3/23/07 2:31:26AM

Posted by Svartorm

I seem to recall someone named Sobral tried that and was in sleepyland in just under a minute.

I think Big John would disagree with you!
FedorIsTheBest
3/23/07 2:35:16AM
Please don't flame for this:

I think he is because he's done too much of roids and HGH and test. He's head has doubled in size since he started fighting which is a side effect of HGH. When he came in smiling and nervous I think that was Post Test. In some of his fights his muscles looked really big (roids).

I think he did too much of that shit and his days are over. That's just my 2 cents.
hippysmacker
3/23/07 3:11:17AM
He actually has admitted to roids in an interview before. However, I don't remember him ever saying he took HGH.
Fumar-Fortiuse
3/23/07 12:49:20PM
You guys are right Sobral did press the action, but he is a submission fighter with some skills not much but some skills in stand up. Now I ask do you think he could with stand Wandy pressing the action on him. IMO if it's the Wandy we all know and love then there is no way Lidell could with stand the flury.
cant_hit_bombz
3/23/07 1:10:43PM
yeah but Wandy has never seen anyone like Chuck who throws really hard stuff from really odd angles.
madmarck
3/23/07 1:20:34PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

I'm telling you if someone gets in Lidells face and shows that they aren't intimidated and they press the action on him he will fold.

So did someon named Couture.

Trying to defend agaisnt him doesnt work either. Ask horn.
hippysmacker
3/23/07 1:37:51PM

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

You guys are right Sobral did press the action, but he is a submission fighter with some skills not much but some skills in stand up. Now I ask do you think he could with stand Wandy pressing the action on him. IMO if it's the Wandy we all know and love then there is no way Lidell could with stand the flury.

If this ever happens ,I will bet whatever amount we both can match in our bankrolls with you. Let me know if you are open to the wager. Thanks
Fumar-Fortiuse
3/23/07 2:19:32PM
Lets not forget that Wandy had a 15-0 streak at one time in Pride and most of his losses have came from top ten heavyweights. I reallize that he is getting a little older but Lidell is too so I still have to go with the most intense fighter in Pride history even though most fans feel he has lost that intensity. Plus he still has the most devastating knees in the world and Chuck hasn't dealt with something like that before. He just might go down like Rich Franklin in that Maui Tai clench.
Gladiator
3/23/07 2:41:14PM

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

Lets not forget that Wandy had a 15-0 streak at one time in Pride and most of his losses have came from top ten heavyweights. I reallize that he is getting a little older but Lidell is too so I still have to go with the most intense fighter in Pride history even though most fans feel he has lost that intensity. Plus he still has the most devastating knees in the world and Chuck hasn't dealt with something like that before. He just might go down like Rich Franklin in that Maui Tai clench.

he might... or we could flip that around and say that wandy has never dealt with power like chucks fists and he just might go down like did against dan henderson.
loller90278
3/23/07 3:02:31PM
i have an idea.

why press the action when chuck liddels a counter-pouncher?
if i was in the ring with him, i'd stay far back as possible, with as little action as possible.

the fans will start booing and chuck will get frusterated.
and BAM
i pull out my bat and whack him over the head.

hathcock32
3/23/07 3:43:43PM
Randy also pressed the action all 3 fights agianst Chuck. Granted Randy doesent have the stand up skills that Wandy does. But none the less he got in his face. I can guarantee you one thing Chuck is not scared of Wandy, thats for sure.
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 4:26:55PM

Posted by loller90278

i have an idea.

why press the action when chuck liddels a counter-pouncher?
if i was in the ring with him, i'd stay far back as possible, with as little action as possible.

the fans will start booing and chuck will get frusterated.
and BAM
i pull out my bat and whack him over the head.

That's a pretty solid strategy... I think MMAPG might have the next UFC LHW champ in our midsts...
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/23/07 6:28:31PM
I have a suggestion for Wandy NEVER fight in the USA again!
Wanderlei will be back and will take his title back as long as they fight in Japan.If you watched the fight Wandy would have won if it was under PRIDE rules with the 10 minute rounds Wandy had him finished but the rules really hurt his game.
hcazlekker
3/23/07 8:11:16PM
Though I don't think Wandy is done, I do believe he is coming off his peak. There's no shame in his losses, five years on top is incredibly impressive.

As far as his recent losses, I think two (clean) KOs in a row has definately hurt his spirit. Not to mention he was out-classed in both matches.

I agree with Hippysmacker, he needs to take a little time to rethink his strategies, and maybe make a transition to the UFC. New scenery stuff, ya know. I would still like to see Wandy/Vovchanchyn.

Mauricio is taking the PrideFC 205lb belt anyway, it would be a crime deny a man of his skill and heart the belt because of academy politics.
Chec22
3/23/07 9:05:26PM
All the footage of Wandi I have seen shows him as throwing wild punches and leading with his face. Sounds like it would be the perfect setup for Chuck. And I think someone mentioned it, in the US no soccer kicks or stomping, thats 2 big weapons taken from Wandi.
Svartorm
3/24/07 12:16:34AM
I'd have to saw this would bet the hardest match for Wandy I can think of. Chuck is too good on the counter-punch and has a better chin. If they started trading, I could easily see Wandy having his 3rd KO loss. Wandy would have to reinvent himself as a fighter to pull this off.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/24/07 12:24:43AM
Wandy hasnt improved at all really IMO. I think Chuck would win for sure. Watch Wandy's stance against Hendo, his feet were like parralell to each other so he couldnt even really step into his hooks, or shuffle out properly. I think Wandy needs a new striking coach because his stance was horrible. Having his feet under his shoulders instead of having a lead foot sticking out is really hard to defend the takedown too because you have no balance. Anyone else noticed how bad his stance was. He looked like a rock-em-sockem robot.!
Rush
3/24/07 8:14:14PM
I think Wanderlei needs to take a couple lower profile fights to get back into the game. I don't care who you are, if you take more than two losses in a row you are really playing with fire (mentally), even if those losses are to great opponents
theBLADE
3/25/07 11:37:11AM
he just needs take some time of and come back healthy....sure....i think he can
We_Todd_Did
3/25/07 5:52:49PM
I feel it's a moot issue for the time being.Personally, I think Shogun has played second fiddle for long enough.It's his time to shine.
ButterBalls
3/25/07 7:25:04PM
Wand will be back, no doubt about it. Unfortunatly I think its Shogun's time now and Wand might take a back seat and let him do it this time.
KEENAN9
3/26/07 6:15:00PM
I think Wand just needs some tune up matches, you know, just put some human punching bag in front of him and get his confidence back. If Wand and Chuck fought in Pride, Wandy would kill Chuck, but in the UFC it would be close, but I still give it to Wand.
ManBeast
3/27/07 7:12:46AM
I don't think wanderlei is done, but more of the old wanderlei ( super aggressive and throwing wild hooks) the sport and fighters have evolved and obviously people have figured out his weakness. Wandy just needs to take some time off get his confidence back and change up his gameplan to prevent himself from more knockouts, because his wild stance being his strength can also be his weakness if you abuse it.