Awesome Welterweight Fight That Should Happen

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Awesome Welterweight Fight That Should Happen
Street_Fighter
2/6/07 9:58:36AM
I new St. Pierre would beat Hughes, but now we need a good fight for St. Pierre. I hate when title fights suck ass, and I think Carlos Newton vs Georges St. Pierre would be a great Title Match.
pv3Hpv3p
2/6/07 1:17:58PM
Taking nothing away from Newton, but GSP is just too physical and well rounded a fighter for him, I don't think Newton would want to stand with Georges and IMO the only way it goes to the ground is if St.Pierre takes it there...

I always liked Carlos but GSP is just too much... Right now, even as stacked as the WW div is, the only challenge in GSP's way would be if he moved to MW, and I don't see that happening, so he will own that division (as long as he stays healthy), IMO
Stickan
2/6/07 1:23:21PM
I think GSP would kill Newton.

Matches I like to see in that division are:

Diego vs GSP
Fitch vs GSP
Fitch vs Karo
Kos vs Hughes
Alves vs Burkmann
Fickett vs De Souza
Fitch vs Diego
Diego vs Hughes
Alves vs Karo

the list just goes on and on... so many good fights to be made there :D
pv3Hpv3p
2/6/07 6:16:31PM

Posted by Stickan

Diego vs GSP
Fitch vs GSP
Fitch vs Karo
Kos vs Hughes
Alves vs Burkmann
Fickett vs De Souza
Fitch vs Diego
Diego vs Hughes
Alves vs Karo

I definitley agree that Hughes / Kos would actually be a good fight, unlike most of Josh's fights (sorry just not a LnP fan), or maybe I'm just secretly hoping that Matt would hillbilly-stomp him???

Karo would slaughter Alves, though...
JoeMimic
2/6/07 6:19:44PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Stickan

Diego vs GSP
Fitch vs GSP
Fitch vs Karo
Kos vs Hughes
Alves vs Burkmann
Fickett vs De Souza
Fitch vs Diego
Diego vs Hughes
Alves vs Karo

I definitley agree that Hughes / Kos would actually be a good fight, unlike most of Josh's fights (sorry just not a LnP fan), or maybe I'm just secretly hoping that Matt would hillbilly-stomp him???

Karo would slaughter Alves, though...

Kos' boxing has come a long way; I think it'd be a good fight.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/6/07 6:52:34PM

Posted by Stickan

Diego vs GSP
Fitch vs GSP
Fitch vs Karo
Kos vs Hughes
Alves vs Burkmann
Fickett vs De Souza
Fitch vs Diego
Diego vs Hughes
Alves vs Karo

Mmmmm...i'll take a #3...a #4......and a #7 please ....no onions!
hippysmacker
2/6/07 8:45:10PM
Newton is not a full time fighter anymore, and fight's at 185 now. He has always had all the ability, was even a champion once, but I don't see him being a top 10 welterweight unless he fully dedicated himself to fighting, and joined a good team to help with his training.
JunCTion
2/6/07 8:51:13PM
i agree but think that diego wouldn't be easy. i think gsp and chuck are going to rule their divisions for a long time
allevil86
2/7/07 4:34:36PM
This is how i see it playing out
Huges gets a tune up
kos/diego
huges/GSP rematch
winner of Kos/diego gets tyitle shot
unless matt beats GSP then the cycle restarts again with GSP getting a tune up and then a title shot

It's a vicious cycle
OchoCinco
2/8/07 8:55:31PM
Don't know if Newton could hang with GSP, but I would love to see Newton back in the UFC.
JunCTion
2/9/07 12:45:26AM

Posted by allevil86

This is how i see it playing out
Huges gets a tune up
kos/diego
huges/GSP rematch
winner of Kos/diego gets tyitle shot
unless matt beats GSP then the cycle restarts again with GSP getting a tune up and then a title shot

It's a vicious cycle

totally agree except for the "unless matt beats gsp" gsps lossto matt made him sick and he had to wait so long for the rematch and had all that time to prepare his strategy for matt (his strategy, not how to defend matt) i can see matt going throuigh everybody in his way, but he won't beat gsp again(its going to be like tito and babalu against chuck)
SteedTheDeed
2/9/07 6:01:10PM
diego v matt
karo v burkman
ufcisbeast101
2/9/07 6:03:54PM
gsp would kill newton
gsp should fight the winner of deigo vs kos
BrAeDeN91
2/9/07 11:37:45PM
i dont think newton would stand a chance to gsp.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/17/07 3:48:38PM
GSP vs Karo
OB_Juan
2/17/07 5:22:51PM
Newton would get killed... maybe even literally.
EEKS
2/18/07 7:38:45AM
I think GSP would beat Newton, but any GSP fight would be awesome, cant wait til Diego gets a chance at the chance at the champ, i personally think that will be one of the greatest fights eva.
madmarck
2/18/07 3:31:24PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Newton is not a full time fighter anymore, and fight's at 185 now. He has always had all the ability, was even a champion once, but I don't see him being a top 10 welterweight unless he fully dedicated himself to fighting, and joined a good team to help with his training.

Agreed. He has been fighting at 185 for some time now so i can't see him wanting to go to 170. He really is a big guy. His first fight was at HW and he weighed in at 207. Watch his fights with Hughes. Carlos Newton is the bigger of the Two. I would say he has to cut weight to make 185.
Not to mention he now has the first Canadian IFL team. So i am pretty sure he is gonna be focused on that for a little while. I don't think Carlos will fight in a big Org ever again. Like i said i like the guy but i think he is nearing retirement from fighting. Most likely he will only fight in the IFL or Smaller Orgs for a Big Paycheck. I can't see him wanting to be the top right now.
madmarck
2/18/07 3:32:53PM

Posted by OB_Juan

Newton would get killed... maybe even literally.

How Ironic would that be. The Nicest guy in the sport actually kills someone in the Cage. I dont think anyone below a HW or maybe LHW actually has aneough force behind their blows to kill someone.