Got some awesome news today. (awesome for me anyway)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Got some awesome news today. (awesome for me anyway)
papercut
10/26/11 9:09:17PM
Talked to the head coach of my city's semi-pro football team this afternoon and he offered me a position on next years team. this made my week as I'm only 19 and this could open up some fantastic opportunities for college ball. It really helps that they are a very talented team and haven't missed playoffs in the last 5 years. they are also revamping the team with fresh coaches to help put us over to the next level as well as a new marketing team in hopes of sponsorship(specifically Nike) so I'm excited just thought I'd share the news.
Budgellism
10/26/11 9:29:06PM
Congrats dude! You're right, this could open up some pretty big doors for you

What position do you play?
papercut
10/26/11 9:52:30PM
thanks! I play middle and outside linebacker. usually middle but I can easily play outside if the situation calls for it.
Chael_Sonnen
10/26/11 10:56:22PM

Posted by papercut

thanks! I play middle and outside linebacker. usually middle but I can easily play outside if the situation calls for it.

Starting DE-FENSE!!!!

- Lattimer from 'The Program'
DeadHead988
10/26/11 11:40:50PM
Very impressive!
KungFuMaster
10/27/11 12:39:33AM
That is awesome. Congratulations. Train hard and maybe we'll see you in the NFL one day.
Rabi
10/27/11 2:17:43AM
That's awesome mate, congrats!
Poor_Franklin
10/27/11 5:51:18AM
gartface
10/27/11 9:10:55AM
Congrats dude!
papercut
10/27/11 12:59:32PM
Thanks everyone.

Posted by KungFuMaster

That is awesome. Congratulations. Train hard and maybe we'll see you in the NFL one day.

I would love to one day play in the NFL but right now I just want to use this opportunity to get into a good college. aiming for a D1 school but I'm not sure how realistic that is. maybe the badgers could find a use for me. but I've been training and getting ready for tryouts for the last few months even though tryouts aren't until mid spring. I want to blow the coaches away and take the starting spot as a rookie.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/27/11 2:21:55PM

Posted by papercut

Thanks everyone.

Posted by KungFuMaster

I would love to one day play in the NFL but right now I just want to use this opportunity to get into a good college. aiming for a D1 school but I'm not sure how realistic that is. maybe the badgers could find a use for me. but I've been training and getting ready for tryouts for the last few months even though tryouts aren't until mid spring. I want to blow the coaches away and take the starting spot as a rookie.

PLEASE READ

Dude, before you say yes to this opportunity, I would seriously go to/call a major university and talk to a compliance officer.

This could make you ineligible to ever play football at college. You need to do your homework and make sure that this will not kill your dream. Talk to a compliance officer and, after that, call a second compliance officer at a different university and get a second opinion.

The NCAA is really fickle about shit like this and I would hate to see you lose out on a dream because of an offer that turned out to be too much of a good thing.

Please do. You don't want to find out that accepting this opportunity makes you ineligible to play football in college. Like don't accept a DAMN thing from this semi-pro team until you talk to a compliance officer or someone from the NCAA.

You don't want to shatter your dream before you even get there.
papercut
10/27/11 7:59:22PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by papercut

Thanks everyone.

Posted by KungFuMaster

PLEASE READ

Dude, before you say yes to this opportunity, I would seriously go to/call a major university and talk to a compliance officer.

This could make you ineligible to ever play football at college. You need to do your homework and make sure that this will not kill your dream. Talk to a compliance officer and, after that, call a second compliance officer at a different university and get a second opinion.

The NCAA is really fickle about shit like this and I would hate to see you lose out on a dream because of an offer that turned out to be too much of a good thing.

Please do. You don't want to find out that accepting this opportunity makes you ineligible to play football in college. Like don't accept a DAMN thing from this semi-pro team until you talk to a compliance officer or someone from the NCAA.

Glad you told me that. as far as I was aware I'm still eligible to play in college as long as I don't accept any type of payment for playing. but now I'll definitely be doing some research on what I can do to remain eligible for college ball. They've sent previous players to school on scholarships to play football before but I'll definitely make sure to comply with what the NCAA requires.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/27/11 8:06:13PM

Posted by papercut

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by papercut

Thanks everyone.

Posted by KungFuMaster

PLEASE READ

Glad you told me that. as far as I was aware I'm still eligible to play in college as long as I don't accept any type of payment for playing. but now I'll definitely be doing some research on what I can do to remain eligible for college ball. They've sent previous players to school on scholarships to play football before but I'll definitely make sure to comply with what the NCAA requires.

Beyond that, don't listen to the team. Contact a compliance officer and the NCAA. Even allowing the team to pay for your travel can be a violation of amateur status. Please, don't take this lightly....find out before accepting.