MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Avatar
kopower
12/24/09 3:11:10AM
Just saw this a little while ago and it was very good. Saw the 3d version and it was very impressive. It took about 15-20 minutes for my eyes to get adjusted to where I didn't notice I was wearing the shades. Special effects were outstanding. If you like the sci fi or action movies you need to see this in the theater with the 3d glasses.
Drudinh
12/24/09 5:24:21AM
I have a buddy who won't shut up about this movie. I guess I'll have to check it out.
grappler0000
12/24/09 10:25:05AM
I'm a sucker for today's 3D movies, but everyone else I've talked to said the movie was sh*t. Aside from the effects, is it worth seeing?
warglory
12/24/09 10:33:15AM
This movie was astounding. Carry on.
kopower
12/24/09 11:10:09AM
I would definitely see it grappler. The writing isn't going to win any awards, but the special effects are just amazing.
marcoDGK
12/24/09 1:15:13PM
This is the 3-4 time I have heard someone say "it's worth seeing." I think i'm going to have to check it out now.
emfleek
12/24/09 6:16:18PM
I've heard the effects are amazing. The story line = not so good, unless you're a 3rd grader.

I have no desire to see it but my girlfriend wants to so you can bet your ass I'll end up checking it out.
FrankTheTank1181
12/24/09 8:42:39PM
It's definitely worth seeing, in my opinion. It's 2 and a half hours long, but it didn't seem like it, which to me is a sign of a good movie.
warglory
12/25/09 10:45:40PM
I have no idea why everyone thinks this story is simple. Has this basic premise been told before? Absolutely, but so hasn't 95% of the movies out there. What makes this film different is the manner in which it is told. I can't remember a movie of this manner being told with such a high level of detail since the original Star Wars. This is a very intricate storyline with a director/writer who has essentially created a whole world from scratch with a vast ecosystem and a social system including a whole language. Avatar may basically be the same premise as Fern Gully as some have compared it to on the Net, but come on now...
__LAL__
12/26/09 8:07:17PM
Wow, just seen this movie. Probably the best thing Ive seen all year.
hate4thestate
12/27/09 4:11:25PM
i personally thought the movie was complete trash. aside from the visual effects which were pretty rad everything else blew horribly. imagine dances with wolves and fern gully with horrible writing and acting, if you like movies where the storyline is crap and they try to use special effects to cover it up go see this.
CwB
12/28/09 3:52:54PM

Posted by hate4thestate

i personally thought the movie was complete trash. aside from the visual effects which were pretty rad everything else blew horribly. imagine dances with wolves and fern gully with horrible writing and acting, if you like movies where the storyline is crap and they try to use special effects to cover it up go see this.

HAHAHAHA

Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully, and Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee all Have the exact same story, basically... HAHAHA

Go see it in theaters now cause once it hits DVD=has no 3d, it will not be worth seeing...

But its not like the story/writing is complete crap (it is recycled) it works well enough and the directing is great then add the special effects / 3d and you have a movie that will entertain you.
warglory
12/28/09 9:02:24PM

Posted by hate4thestate

Westerns all have the exact same damn storyline too when you boil it down, but some are written better than others. Fern Gully is a 75 minute kids movie starring a bat with a funny voice, you can't compare it to Avatar.
CwB
12/29/09 7:39:34PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by hate4thestate

Westerns all have the exact same damn storyline too when you boil it down, but some are written better than others. Fern Gully is a 75 minute kids movie starring a bat with a funny voice, you can't compare it to Avatar.

Maybe not the entire movie but the story you can...
hippysmacker
12/29/09 10:13:41PM

Posted by emfleek

I've heard the effects are amazing. The story line = not so good, unless you're a 3rd grader.

I have no desire to see it but my girlfriend wants to so you can bet your ass I'll end up checking it out.

The effects are amazing, and the story isn't bad. It's just nothing new, and the preview gives away most of the story. There will be few surprises is what I am basically saying. I enjoyed it a lot, but I have to admit I am tired of previews giving away the entire plot of a movie.
d1rtyyyynacho
1/2/10 2:21:18AM
It's an overall good movie, but it's just too long.
DCRage
1/6/10 7:38:34AM
I'll be seeing it Friday night, opted for 2D over 3D (3D at this theater is $3.50 more and I would be home very late-this theater's an hour away, only going to this one because I have an appointment just down the street).
FlashyG
1/6/10 9:39:00AM

Posted by DCRage

I'll be seeing it Friday night, opted for 2D over 3D (3D at this theater is $3.50 more and I would be home very late-this theater's an hour away, only going to this one because I have an appointment just down the street).

I'd pay an extra 20$ to see it in 3D.

Having seen it both ways I can tell you honestly you're missing out seeing it in 2D.

Yes the storyline isn't exactly new but the visuals in this movie are unbelievable.

If for no other reason go watch it to see a jump forward in movie making technology. Its almost like the first film in colour or the first film that wasn't silent.
SmileR
1/6/10 2:04:16PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by DCRage

I'd pay an extra 20$ to see it in 3D.

Having seen it both ways I can tell you honestly you're missing out seeing it in 2D.

Yes the storyline isn't exactly new but the visuals in this movie are unbelievable.

If for no other reason go watch it to see a jump forward in movie making technology. Its almost like the first film in colour or the first film that wasn't silent.

theirs not much point going to see it in 2D if you've seen Dances with wolves its basically the same story but with aliens. I would defiantly recommend going to see it in 3d though, there was a scene with falling ash that would be worth the extra $3:50 alone.
kopower
1/6/10 11:26:37PM
Have to see it in 3D.
Ordep
1/8/10 2:34:43PM
I liked the effects.

The story line, meh...

3 cups of Fern Gully
1/2 a pack of Pocahontas
3 pounds of Dance with the wolves

stir and serve
emfleek
1/8/10 2:38:00PM

Posted by Ordep

I liked the effects.

The story line, meh...

3 cups of Fern Gully
1/2 a pack of Pocahontas
3 pounds of Dance with the wolves

stir and serve

So you're saying I should add booze?
Ordep
1/8/10 2:44:26PM

Of course, 3 hours in a theater can turn to be really boring specially if it is your girlfriend making you watch it. Sneak a flask inside to add to your drink.
emfleek
1/8/10 2:48:56PM
Noted.

Thanks, man.
DCRage
1/8/10 11:46:45PM
Saw it earlier tonight in 2D. Not impressed. Only reason I didn't walk out is I met up with a couple people to see it and didn't want to be rude to them. If it were a video game it woudl've been great graphics and sound but seriously lacking in gameplay and other key areas. Also 20+ minutes too long.

4/10. Big disappointment.