Aussie's are kinda mad.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Aussie's are kinda mad.
big_timmy
9/30/08 6:17:35AM
Now most of the people on this site are from America, and we all know NFL players get hit hard, but thats with pads on. Watch these videos, and you'll be coughing up blood for a week.

This is how we do it in Australia boys. Enjoy.

AFL Hits

Greatest Rugby League Hits

Jimbo
9/30/08 7:24:27AM
yeh i dont think afl is known well enough around the world, for me its tied first with MMA, maybe even complete first for favourite and most exciting sports. I made a thread about it a while ago and posted that same video in the video section lol i also posted the 2007 highlights if anyone wants to check em out
Mungooch
9/30/08 7:44:14AM
**** that AFL is for girls
Nrl hits
When is there ever a fight or big hit in afl theses days pfft soft
Nrl fights
Jimbo
9/30/08 8:08:21AM

Posted by Mungooch

**** that AFL is for girls
Nrl hits
When is there ever a fight or big hit in afl theses days pfft soft
Nrl fights

AFL isnt as hard as it used to be and i think its a real shame, but a good sport isnt just about big hits, there is alot of skill involved in AFL that doesnt get appreciated by people that hate AFL just because its AFL. In Australia its usually you either follow AFL or NRL and the other sport is just totally shit. I think its very comparable to the hate that BJJ gets, its seen as "boring" to people that dont understand it and therefore dont appreciate the skill involved. AFL may not be as brutal as it used to but it definetely still has its moments:

AFL hits of 2008
mikevolz
9/30/08 9:04:32AM

Posted by big_timmy

Now most of the people on this site are from America, and we all know NFL players get hit hard, but thats with pads on. Watch these videos, and you'll be coughing up blood for a week.

This is how we do it in Australia boys. Enjoy.

AFL Hits

Greatest Rugby League Hits

you had me until league .
voodoo-jitsu
9/30/08 1:32:03PM
they used to show AFL games here in the states on espn i loved watching it i wish the would bring it back i miss it
NeaRMisS
9/30/08 3:40:30PM
I have all the respect in the world for these players but one thing I noticed is that they run straight up and down, which allows for HUGE hits to happen. I am supprised on how few of these players get hurt.

All in all, amazing hits, hopefully none of these players got seriously hurt. I am all for great hits, but I never wish to see someone get badly injuried / hurt.
MMAcca
9/30/08 3:44:21PM
Naturaldisaster
9/30/08 4:19:49PM
Rugby should be renamed to Muay Thai with a ball! I dont think i've seen people take some many knees before in my life!!!
dannyfrank
9/30/08 4:25:15PM
those muthaf*ckers got WRECKED!!!!!
Bowen50
9/30/08 4:47:22PM
NFL Hits from 2006-2008

Props to thoseAFL and Rugby guys but nothing beats this for me
zephead
9/30/08 10:21:52PM
And how many AFL players are 6'3" weigh 245 lbs. and can run the 40 yard dash in 4.4 seconds? There's a reason why they wear padding. without it, players would be busted up bad. I would love for a NFL team to play a AFL team in your game of football. I'd love to see a AFL player try to stop Santana Moss in the open field. Or take a hit from Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Brian Dawkins, the deceased Sean Taylor etc. etc.

Naturaldisaster
9/30/08 10:28:52PM

Posted by zephead

And how many AFL players are 6'3" weigh 245 lbs. and can run the 40 yard dash in 4.4 seconds? There's a reason why they wear padding. without it, players would be busted up bad. I would love for a NFL team to play a AFL team in your game of football. I'd love to see a AFL player try to stop Santana Moss in the open field. Or take a hit from Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Brian Dawkins, the deceased Sean Taylor etc. etc.

Imagin Dwight Freeneys big ass tackling one of them
mikevolz
9/30/08 11:40:06PM

Posted by zephead

hahahahahahahahahha

jonah lomu

6'5 270

100 meter dash in 10'8. (that was 1 second off world record pace at the time)

bryan habana?
rupeni caucau
sivivatu
paul oconnell
brian odrisscoll
richie mccaw
ibanez (the ironman of rugby)

i could go all freaking day.

and your mixing up afl with rugby. please please please do your research before you start getting into this argument.

there are basically 3 games being discussed here.

afl (aussie rules football). its similar to gaelic football, or SOCCER. these guys are amazing athletes who run 10-15 miles a game. but its a different sport. and it isn't based around hitting

rugby LEAGUE. emphasis on league, its a different code of rugby, its very VERY similar to american football. there are downs, no wraps on tackles, no rucking, and no contested scrums (which takes it from me). these guys who play this game are maniacs. point blank. its not the most fun game to play, as to me its just a giant pissing contest of who can run headlong into the other (and its not as exciting as i make it sound).

rugby UNION (ahhhhh). rucking, mauls, contested scrums, amazing runs. everything. all the players i mentioned above play THIS game. none of the others. (not saying there aren't good athletes, but lets face it, union is the worlds contact sport, american football is the u.s's and league is half of australia's and part of englands.) you instantly went and trashed the rugby players athleticism and said they couldn't do what american football players do. you are doing the same stuff the boxing promoters are doing.

Its a different game. rugby union has 2 40 minute halves, and general play carries on much longer without a break. you don't have a defense or offense, so you play both sides. so lets give the average american football 30 minutes of game play during a game (thats being generous). they have tremendous amounts of break to catch their breath whatnot. rugby you do not. you transition from offense to defense like basketball or hockey, you play 40 minutes. and typically players will run 3-5 miles a game depending on the position. and yes, there are people 260-280 lbs who run 3 miles a game, hit 10-20 rucks, touch the ball 5-10 times, make 5-10 tackles, and scrum down countless times (and dont forget the lineouts).

they also have people who can run like the wind (type in caucau to google. or habana, or sivivatu, or joe rockococo, or ngwenya, or pretty much any other world class wing.)

and the big hits in football. with all that padding you don't need form, thats why form tackling is a lost art in football. you can run into people, and a lot of times its effective, the added protection allows that, in rugby you simply can't because you'll blowout your neck, shoulder, or back (speaking from experience). your mixing up cause an effect.

Apples and oranges.

different type of athlete different type of sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGROu3LiXVM
mikevolz
9/30/08 11:52:26PM

Posted by zephead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYyOvoolACo&feature=related
big_timmy
10/1/08 6:12:02AM
I watch some NFL, but how often do you see punters chasing down the kick and getting a tackle?

Its cause Sav Rocca is from AFL, awhere its not your job to just takcle, or just run, or just kick, you do all these, and more, and you gotta be bloody good at all of them.

Rugby League is a bit softer than Union, but i watch it cause its a national league, where as Union is only really seen at an International level.

Mad props to anyone who pulls on the uniforms of these 3 codes, and NFL aswell. I was jsut making the point that Aussies can mix it up with the best of NFL players.

big_timmy
10/1/08 6:19:06AM
By the way...

Have any of you heard of Barry Hall? This is a quick introduction.

Barry Hall
Mungooch
10/1/08 6:26:48AM

Posted by big_timmy

I watch some NFL, but how often do you see punters chasing down the kick and getting a tackle?

Its cause Sav Rocca is from AFL, awhere its not your job to just takcle, or just run, or just kick, you do all these, and more, and you gotta be bloody good at all of them.

Rugby League is a bit softer than Union, but i watch it cause its a national league, where as Union is only really seen at an International level.

Mad props to anyone who pulls on the uniforms of these 3 codes, and NFL aswell. I was jsut making the point that Aussies can mix it up with the best of NFL players.

Softer are you kidding. You can't even shoulder charge in rugby union. This really fires me up.
big_timmy
10/1/08 6:37:41AM
Im not saying its SOFT!!! Saying its softer than Union. Where is the rucking to the face in League? Where is the real scrums? Union is just a street fight with a ball. League is a little more refined, so you dont see as much brawling as in Union.

Dont get me wrong, i love both, and AFL, but Union is the toughest one there is. Bigger boys, more physical, its allowed to go for longer than a play in League.

Hail Aussie sports! Except Soccer.
mikevolz
10/1/08 9:01:20AM
id say the roughest game of the year, any sport, are the international rules games....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEWVajd7hUI&feature=related

NeaRMisS
10/1/08 4:05:50PM
Any serious injuries from all of this? Ive never been one to watch or know any of the rules but yea, after watching the few clips I am suprised we haven't seen or heard of more medical issues / problems with some of these people.

One tough ass sport thats for damn sure.
mikevolz
10/1/08 8:04:10PM

Posted by NeaRMisS

Any serious injuries from all of this? Ive never been one to watch or know any of the rules but yea, after watching the few clips I am suprised we haven't seen or heard of more medical issues / problems with some of these people.

One tough ass sport thats for damn sure.

a lot of bum shoulders, a few head injuries but not nearly as many as you think. one of these hits happens once in a while, and once in a blue moon to you. nothing like these mma cats.
big_timmy
10/2/08 6:50:21AM

Posted by mikevolz

id say the roughest game of the year, any sport, are the international rules games....

hell yeah. they've banned the internatinoal rules games cause there was too many fights. haha. now thats a sport i love.

And the best thing about all this is players come straight back from these huge hits, just take a look at some of these marks and hits, completely disregarding their own safety.

Jonno Brown

Nick Reiwoldts

Marks of the years