attention wrestlers and bjj practitioners - question about cauliflower ear.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » attention wrestlers and bjj practitioners - question about cauliflower ear.
ufc88
5/5/08 11:50:54PM
someone please fill me in i had my 9th bjj class today and ive been doing thai boxing for a couple years but i was grapling with a purple belt who was owning me obviously and i actually think i might have gotten mild cauliflower ear it looks a bit weird whats the longest i can wait to get them drained?
hotrodttt
5/6/08 12:06:09AM
Well for now just ice them and see how they do, if they still ache after 2 days then get them drained. I hate getting colliflower over and over again and having to put stupid tape on them but suprisingly, the gorls think it looks sexy.
wolfman
5/6/08 12:43:47AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Well for now just ice them and see how they do, if they still ache after 2 days then get them drained. I hate getting colliflower over and over again and having to put stupid tape on them but suprisingly, the gorls think it looks sexy.

Yeah, I second this. Funny, I used tape too and most girls thought it was sexy, some didn't.
fullerene
5/6/08 8:46:14AM
If you're concerned about getting cauliflower ear it's a good idea to start wearing wrestling headgear. My experience is that most guys who drain eventually get lazy and just let the ear harden.
Kracker_Jap
5/9/08 11:04:31AM
The thing with getting you ears drained is the recovery time, at least it was 10 years ago when I had to deal with it....

i've seen guys get it drained cuz they want to stay pretty but also seen the same guys deal with it for the rest of there life beacause of an important match or tourney
Rush
5/9/08 11:50:38AM

Posted by fullerene

If you're concerned about getting cauliflower ear it's a good idea to start wearing wrestling headgear. My experience is that most guys who drain eventually get lazy and just let the ear harden.

I've never used headgear and was fortunate to not get cauliflower ears, but I've always wondered why more guys do not wear head gear. Does it get in the way with fighting or impede your hearing/judgement? I know why hockey players do not like wearing visors and am wondering if it is for a similar reason.
fullerene
5/9/08 12:25:27PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by fullerene

I've never used headgear and was fortunate to not get cauliflower ears, but I've always wondered why more guys do not wear head gear. Does it get in the way with fighting or impede your hearing/judgement? I know why hockey players do not like wearing visors and am wondering if it is for a similar reason.

I was pretty lucky, too, wrestling/grappling for several years with barely noticeable cauliflower. I then started dating a girl who was absolutely horrified by the ears she saw on some of my friends and made me swear to wear headgear from then on. IGiven that I have a job that requires me to spend some time in front of other white collar workers I conceded and have worn it since. I know that makes me sound like a wuss or a sell-out, but I point it out b/c although most guys you roll with will respect ear deformity it may not be something you want to take with you to a sales presentation or a first date.

Wearing it does have a few downsides. It makes your hearing a little distorted and it actuallly irritates your ears a bit (like wearing really tight headphones would), but not in a damaging way. But by far the biggest reason people don't wear them is the appearance. It just doesn't look cool.
Salty
5/9/08 1:51:03PM
I don't know, the main reason I really hate wearing headgear is mainly because I hate having anything over my ears, headphones, bike helmets, you name it i hate it. they always make my ears itchy and stuff.
Jackelope
5/9/08 2:46:40PM
No cauliflower ear here. Never had a problem with it because I always wore headgear. On my team it was required by the coach. There were times when my cartilage would get sore, but here I am 8 years after high school and no cauliflower ear. Looks a little ridiculous when you've got Randy Couture baseball mitt ears
Pitbull09
5/13/08 12:05:08AM
If your ears harden cant you get a surgery after to get it fixed? I think Matt Hughes did that awhile ago. Jw though, I dont have that problem and prob will get them drained if i do.