attention muay thai practitioners: Are These Shin Guards too big on me? --> Pic included

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » attention muay thai practitioners: Are These Shin Guards too big on me? --> Pic included
ufc88
2/26/08 12:27:39AM
anybody who trains in muay thai please help me out
these are my first pair and i cannot decide if they are too big and go too high up. I'm around 5'10 and these are XL shin guards
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
cmill21
2/26/08 12:54:00AM
Those pics aren't the best but from the look of it they are a little big. Shoulda got L. Are they at the middle of your knee cap?
ufc88
2/26/08 1:38:43AM
they just touch the bottom of my knee cap i can bend my knee fully but i feel the top of the shin guard against the bottom of my knee cap

hopefully this pic is clearer
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ufc88
2/26/08 2:04:03AM
on the fairtex site it says you have to be between 6'1 and 6'4 for XL shin guards and im barely 5'10 but when i look at pics on the internet it shows shinguards going up to the same place as where mine do --> pic
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Mastodon2
2/26/08 2:43:15AM
I use the same shin guards, Fairtex ones, and I'm 6 foot on the dot. Mine are a large, and go to the same place as yours. The height is fine. It doesnt matter if they don't cover the front of your knee, no one else I train with, no matter what brand their gaurds are, has covered knees, they are only supposed to go to the top of the shin.

The real issue here, and the main area where the various sizes differ, at least for Fairtex, is width. My larges are a snug fit, and I'm a quite muscular 158lbs, so I'm not exactly a tank, but larges fit me fine. As long as they dont flop around or rotate too much during sparring then they are good.

The only issue I had with my Fairtexs, and I'd assume its the same for anyone trying out shin guards for the first time, at least ones with foot protectors, is that they seems to have a very stiff ankle that made it difficult to be light on my feet and kick properly. After a couple of sessions in, I couldnt even tell I was wearing them anymore.

Fairtex is awesome gear btw, lasts forever, good buy!
cmill21
2/26/08 8:31:43AM
No those are fine as mastadon said.
Omega
2/28/08 1:31:00PM
No, I'm going to disagree with you guys. You need to go down in a size. Shin guards need to fit snug and not move around. In my experiance you'll end up adjusting those more often if you don't get a snug fit.
fedorwins1
2/28/08 5:47:43PM

Posted by Omega

No, I'm going to disagree with you guys. You need to go down in a size. Shin guards need to fit snug and not move around. In my experiance you'll end up adjusting those more often if you don't get a snug fit.

Yea if it's not snug and it moves around it can be uncomfortable plus you have to stop in the middle of sparring and readjust them.
drunkel
2/29/08 8:46:12AM
Automatic timeout to fix shinguard. (and take breather)
I like my shinguards to be a little tighter to stop any movement or slidage. I stand aboot 6'1 and weigh a cool 195 and I try to grab up the mediums when I spar at the gym.