Athletic Commision to Guida

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Athletic Commision to Guida
Next Page »
nickcuc547
9/18/08 7:45:27PM
The guy may have been correct not letting guida fight, but he was a pompous jerk. It must have took all the strength in the world for guida not to strangle that guy. I kind of wish he did.
sparky
9/18/08 7:57:20PM
It wasnt even that guys call the doctor told him Guida couldnt cut any more weight safely and that if he didnt weight in on the weight right then he couldnt fight. Its a case of dont shoot the messenger!
hotrodttt
9/18/08 8:18:37PM

Posted by sparky

It wasnt even that guys call the doctor told him Guida couldnt cut any more weight safely and that if he didnt weight in on the weight right then he couldnt fight. Its a case of dont shoot the messenger!

1 Pound could have gotten cut easily and safely, he could have just worn his Plastics and sit around and there's a Pound
Pookie
9/18/08 8:21:16PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by sparky

1 Pound could have gotten cut easily and safely, he could have just worn his Plastics and sit around and there's a Pound

very true. do it in a sauna and youre good in about 15 minutes to a half hour
StevenSeagal
9/18/08 8:23:43PM
yeah the one pound thing was kinda ghey. something tells me if the camera's werent there they would have let it slide. They prob wanted to make it a point that weight is weight... the doc guy was kind of prick'ish... I said that to myself when I saw it.
juanez13
9/18/08 8:30:51PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by sparky

very true. do it in a sauna and youre good in about 15 minutes to a half hour

The thing is that Guida was asking the COMMISSIONER to let him do that, and with the doctor having said that if he wasnt on weight, he couldnt cut anymore safely. Although it seems stupid at times, the Commissioner has to follow with what the doctor says, something happens to Guida while he is cutting it, and they are responsible. Again, being as unlikely as it was, they cant take chances.

It was his fault for not coming in prepared. And I dont get how you could say the commissioner was being an ass, Guida bitchin at the commissioner was useless, with the commissioner not being the one to make that decision, he was just ignoring Guida.
Aether
9/18/08 8:36:33PM
Jason was arguing with the wrong guy. Keith can't overrule the doctor's decision, if a licensed MD says no more weight cutting, what the hell is he supposed to do about it? He told him flat out "I'm not a doc". Not his call, he should've talked to the doctor, he might have actually been able to bargain with him since it was only a pound.

When it comes down to it though, you know well in advance that you're going to be on the show, you know you're fighting in prelims, and you know what weight you are fighting at. There's just no excuse for someone with like 30 professional fights to show up unprepared for an opportunity of this magnitude. It blows me away that guys just show up and half ass it. Opportunity of a lifetime down the drain because you're too lazy to get into shape beforehand.
Wolfenstein
9/18/08 8:38:17PM
I didn't really understand why the doctor had a say so. I mean if you were coming into the weigh in's for say UFC 87 and you were over by a pound and had to cut the weight in an hour, you wouldn't have a doctor checking to make sure you would be alright to cut the pound. I mean maybe I'm wrong on this or something. I understand it's a different situation here on the show but it seems strange to me. If he took some exlax he probably could have crapped the pound out.
Solidus
9/18/08 10:10:12PM
How much time do these guys have between tryouts for TUF and the show? They make it seem like they only found out a day before they were going to be on the show fighting at 205
nellyhiphophead
9/18/08 10:41:39PM
he should of just make 205 in the first place. like you should ome into the show knowing you need to fight soon so get in good shape and come in to it in good shape. its not like they get a call two days before that they are going on the show. i don't feel sorry for no one that gets kicks off for not making whight.
nickcuc547
9/18/08 11:13:25PM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

he should of just make 205 in the first place. like you should ome into the show knowing you need to fight soon so get in good shape and come in to it in good shape. its not like they get a call two days before that they are going on the show. i don't feel sorry for no one that gets kicks off for not making whight.

I absolutely don't feel bad for him, i just think the guy from the commision was a jackass. he was so pompous and arrogant, i would have wanted to punch him even if i did make weight, i can imagine how i would feel if he was being a prick and i didn't make weight.
Mchubb316
9/18/08 11:46:38PM
It was the doctors telling, I believe it was Mark Keiser of the NSAC, that if Guida did not make weight they would not allow him to cut any more. Once he missed weight, even just a pound, it was out of the commisions hands. It was Guida's fault for not coming prepared. Nobody else had troubles it seemed.
haggiswashere
9/19/08 3:30:03AM
whether it was bs or not guida had a while to get in shape to come on the show. its his own fault for not making it and besides whining only works for little kids. the doc said he couldn't do it heathily so he should have talked to the DOCTOR not the commisioner. throwing a little fit does not further the stereotype dana wants in the ufc so that didn't help at all. Guida was WAY more in the wrong. Commisioner was just doing his job.
slapshot
9/19/08 4:26:12AM
Sorry but you dont come into this unknowing and not understand what you need to cut and how to cut it if your Guida. The guy obviously is not committed and should have came in shape and ready to fight and nobody would be talking about one lame pound right now but he didn't so NEXT.

It was Guida's opportunity and he got it because of who his brother is so to just blow it like that is lame and I have no pity for him.
stock
9/19/08 9:32:29AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I didn't really understand why the doctor had a say so. I mean if you were coming into the weigh in's for say UFC 87 and you were over by a pound and had to cut the weight in an hour, you wouldn't have a doctor checking to make sure you would be alright to cut the pound. I mean maybe I'm wrong on this or something. I understand it's a different situation here on the show but it seems strange to me. If he took some exlax he probably could have crapped the pound out.

Well, the doctor was called in since Guida was dry heaving, puking, and cramping so badly that he could not even stand up. His calfs, ribs, biceps, forearms, abs, and hamstrings were cashed.
He was on the grounds of a UFC sponsored site, so they had to call in a doctor. And if a doctor tells the commission that a fighter cannot safely cut another pound, how can you expect him to overrule the doctor.

Terms would have been different if he was cutting weight at home or in his own facility, but the UFC is liable (to some point) when guys are killing themselves to make weight at their place.

The way I see it, there are no excuses. These guys knew they were going to be fighting, and they knew the weight class. It's not like it was a bombshell that they were going to have to weigh in as soon as they had to. They know this stuff ahead of time.
emfleek
9/19/08 10:11:03AM

Posted by stock

The way I see it, there are no excuses. These guys knew they were going to be fighting, and they knew the weight class. It's not like it was a bombshell that they were going to have to weigh in as soon as they had to. They know this stuff ahead of time.

Bingo.

This is NOT the fault of the NSAC. This is NOT the fault of the doctor. This is Jason Guida's fault. There's no other way to look at it.
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/19/08 12:55:17PM
I know this is mma and anything can happen but in my opinion it doesn't matter. He was to fight Krzysztof and I believe that Guida would have been destroyed.
scoozna
9/19/08 1:15:07PM

Posted by stock

Well, the doctor was called in since Guida was dry heaving, puking, and cramping so badly that he could not even stand up. His calfs, ribs, biceps, forearms, abs, and hamstrings were cashed.
He was on the grounds of a UFC sponsored site, so they had to call in a doctor. And if a doctor tells the commission that a fighter cannot safely cut another pound, how can you expect him to overrule the doctor.

Terms would have been different if he was cutting weight at home or in his own facility, but the UFC is liable (to some point) when guys are killing themselves to make weight at their place.

Exactly...you can't judge Keith Kizer based on the 15 seconds the TUF editors allowed on the show. Guida, by most accounts was NOT doing well at all. You can argue that a different doctor could have made a different determination, but I don't think you can argue that this doctor made a *bad* call when telling Kizer that Guida is done cutting weight.
gsquat
9/19/08 2:34:04PM
Ha. I love the "You'll never be forgiven for this" threat.
kaskd
9/19/08 6:30:51PM
It's not as simple as a pound over. He had already cut 10/11 pounds (don't remember) and that last pound is the impossible one to lose. He coulda sit in that sauna for another couple hours and just fainted in there. He might have lost that pound, but he would have lost consciousness with that pound. The man couldn't even sit in plastics before the weigh ins. We all saw him icing himself down when he knew he was still over weight. There's no way he could have lost that last pound. I would have been down to giving Guida more time to prove he can make weight, but i'm not down for someone coming in way over and trying to get a free pass to fight anyway. (ala Matt Hughes last fight i was really annoyed by that)

It's the risk you take when you try to come in big. You get that strength, but you also risk a lot. Guida was either lazy before showing up, or didn't plan it right. Either way he messed up.
jiujitsufreak74
9/19/08 6:34:37PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by sparky

in all honesty, he could have just cut his hair...and no i'm not joking
Biggz
9/19/08 8:20:50PM
its just like everyone on the show said, its the biggest opening in you life, how do you not take advantage. i mean my hell, show up at 200 if you have to.
dannyfrank
9/19/08 8:21:25PM
i dont see how anyone can be mad at the commisioner. guida should have come on weight. yeah, it was only a pound and it sucks for him, but rules are rules, and he was 100% right to not let guida fight
JimiMak
9/20/08 1:37:09PM
Ppl seem to be ignoring the fact that he'd been killing himself for a long time to try to make weight and he missed by two pds. He missed the one pound allowance by an additional pd. The reason they said he couldn't do it safely is because they had watched him drastically cutting and couldn't make it. He was in the same position as Travis Lutter, Lutter said he knew he couldn't cut anymore when he couldn't sweat in the sauna.

Plus you can't blame the commissions and doctors for being more cautious at a tryout for a tv show that they are at events. There's a lot more risk.
MMA
9/20/08 9:37:40PM
His fault for not being better prepared. The fighters were informed that they would need to fight so why would he come in all overweight and not be able to make the cut? He probably would have ended up gassing anyways seeing how hard it was for him to cut the weight.
Ben_Hutch
9/20/08 9:58:19PM
Guida didn't come prepared, he has no right to have a go at anyone.
Naturaldisaster
9/20/08 10:02:12PM
It was kinda 50/50 for me. I was mad that they wouldnt allow him to fight, but I was also mad at guida for not comin onto the show in shape. But I was sayin its BS that he was so close and couldnt fight, and that he should be able. but then My mom told me i was being a hypocrit pretty much because I HATED gabe rudiger for not makin weight but here i was mad because guida couldnt fight (and he did the same thing as rudiger).
I Dont see why he couldnt cut anymore weight though, cuz Before the 1st fight against Stout, Spencer fisher cut like almost 25 pounds on somethin like 2 days notice
Believe-in-judo81
9/22/08 10:58:10AM
Kieth Kizer is an absolute asshole and a total moron to boot but he did the right thing by sticking by what the doctor said. If the guy wanted to fight, he shouldn't have came in that fat. It's not like he didn't know he was selected for the show weeks before it started, and I'm sure he knew he wanted to try out months ago. He was lazy and made no real attempt to properly and safely cut his weight.
RhythmAndStyle
9/22/08 12:25:11PM
Guida doesn't even have a good record..although he's fight soon i think in exlite...
MattHughesFan
9/22/08 3:39:53PM
A lot of u guys are saying how easy it would have been to cut one more pound. Do u guys realize almost all fighters cut weight the day of the weigh in and they do this losing Water weight. If it was possible for that one pound to have come off safely it probably would have already come off when he had to weigh in. The reason he couldn't make weight was because he literally couldn't sweat out that last pond, he had already lost as much water weight as he body could handle. that's why u have to come in at a decent weight and be prepared. When i see people saying oh just go in a sauna for another 15 minutes and your good to go i know these people don't realize how dangerous that could have been. He literally had no more water to lose and his entire body could have shut down, I mean do u realize he had to go to the hospital after the weigh in, that's not something to be taken lightly. If u can remember Lutter/Sliva when Lutter couldn't make weight, his exact words were "i couldn't sweat anymore and i couldn't shed the last few pounds." cutting weight is a very dangerous thing to do and can be very harmful for those who can't do it right, the Athletic commission was completely right in not giving Guida the extra hour to lose the pound because he could have been extremely hurt, and probably wouldn't be in any shape to fight anyway.
Pages: [1] 2