ATDHE, Sports Streaming Website, Seized By Homeland Security

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » ATDHE, Sports Streaming Website, Seized By Homeland Security
telnights
2/1/11 9:59:15PM
The sports streaming website ATDHE.net has had its domain seized by ICE Homeland Security Investigations.

A spokesperson from ICE confirmed that it was a legitimate seizure and that there is an ongoing investigation into the matter.

According to a description on Mahalo, ATDHE "specializes particularly in live sports, but also features general programming from networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. The website, although popular, has come under fire as to any copyright restrictions it may be violating in operating the service."

LINK

Not going to go down the political view on this. Will just say Its very sad that this is what Homeland Security is doing with its time and even sadder that due process has just been tossed out the window.
ncordless
2/1/11 11:30:30PM
I agree, I don't see the need for a seizure of a website before giving the owner a hearing. No immediate risk or danger, no compelling interest beyond protecting copyright (which imo is not enough to justify violating due process), no chance of getting away.

What' funny is the website keeps popping up under new names faster than they can get a warrant to seize.

Not sure why Homeland Security is involved. . . maybe they have the authority to do some things on the internet that the IPR do not, which is not a good reason because if they do have that authority it wasn't given to them to protect the IP interests of sports broadcasting.
ncordless
2/1/11 11:37:00PM

Posted by ncordless

I agree, I don't see the need for a seizure of a website before giving the owner a hearing. No immediate risk or danger, no compelling interest beyond protecting copyright (which imo is not enough to justify violating due process), no chance of getting away.

What' funny is the website keeps popping up under new names faster than they can get a warrant to seize.

Not sure why Homeland Security is involved. . . maybe they have the authority to do some things on the internet that the IPR do not, which is not a good reason because if they do have that authority it wasn't given to them to protect the IP interests of sports broadcasting.

Nevermind about the Homeland Security, they put the NIPR under the ICE, and the ICE was folded into Homeland Security when the big intel bureaucracy shakedown happened a few years ago. Nice to know that the same department that is defending us from terrorists is the one that is enforcing intellectual property rights.
Kpro
2/1/11 11:59:44PM
Wearing a shoe bomb onto a plane and streaming a Red Sox game on the computer really aren't that different when you think about it.
ncordless
2/2/11 12:09:16AM

Posted by Kpro

Wearing a shoe bomb onto a plane and streaming a Red Sox game on the computer really aren't that different when you think about it.

True.
1. Both a shoe bomb and a red sock are something worn on the foot.
2. Planes and computers are both 20th century technological breakthroughs.
3. "Streaming" and "flying" both sound like fun things to do on a warm summer day.

Coincidence? Or evidence of the illuminati?
grappler0000
2/2/11 12:50:26AM
Maybe someone in Homeland Security lost money on the Big Tim fight they streamed.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/2/11 3:40:33AM
I heard about this earlier today, got sad, and then found new websites to stream my programming. For a period of about 2 minutes, though, I was completely inconsolable.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/2/11 4:58:43AM
Actually, for those of you interested, like Ncordless, here's a nice article by a sports site that I read quite frequently and encourage others to check out, if you've not already

The Big Fat Lie Behind Pirated Sports Video Sites
Shawn91111
2/2/11 9:01:07AM
atdhe is backup under a diff name now
FlashyG
2/2/11 11:43:34AM
Both ATDHE and Channelsurfing are back up now.

ChannelSurfing

ATDHE

I hope Zuffa didn't spend too much getting their domain taken away. That didn't even last a day.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/2/11 4:03:07PM

Posted by FlashyG

Both ATDHE and Channelsurfing are back up now.

ChannelSurfing

ATDHE

I hope Zuffa didn't spend too much getting their domain taken away. That didn't even last a day.

They were both back up almost immediately. Channelsurfing switched to a .eu address to avoid DHS. Haha, this stuff cracks me up.
mrsmiley
2/3/11 7:35:58AM
You can't stop the internet baby!

They way I see it (i'm trying not to get political), I know HLS has to be doing something good but as right now they're setting up video screens in Wal-marts telling us to watch suspecious activity and then taking down websites with video streams????? I'm sure bin Laden is in a cave somewhere planning his hardest on how we can all watch Silva vs Belfort for free and how to get the county rednecks to go postal in Wal-marts.

If taking down channel surfing and ATDHE was a slap in the face to what HLS is doing with their precious time to the american people,then it's an even bigger slap in the face to HLS that the websites where back up that quick.