Assuming the UFC plans a card on April 17th...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Assuming the UFC plans a card on April 17th...
POLL: Viable main event for this card?
Sotiropolous vs. Maynard for #1 contender? 24% (4)
Marquardt vs. Bisping (and have Miller fight somebody else)? 18% (3)
Diego vs. Serra back at WW? 12% (2)
Pull fighters from future cards to make Main event? 0% (0)
Nix the card? 18% (3)
Other... 29% (5)
DosBox
3/13/10 7:14:47PM
Seeing how Couture v. Franklin looks to be for UFC 115, it gives me an even tougher grasp of how this April 17th card will shape up if it does appear to happen.

If this card does happen, I definitely expect the UFC brand to carry more weight than actual "big names" in this instance.

But what will make a viable main event for this card?
The two names I thought - Rich Franklin and Randy Couture- which were the guys I thought the UFC would push for the main event (although I believe Franklin's injury hindered the chance for him to main event on this card). Now this doesnt appear to be the case, so I was wondering what people on the playground thinks about this hypothetical card.

Luckily, the UFC would most likely give other fighters (even some free agents) more chances to fight, as a completely new card could come to fruition giving well... more fighters a chance to fight.

For the main event? The last time the UFC put out a card to try and counter-program was the Silva/Irvin card (I believe).

The only names that are able to carry this out IMO would be Diego Sanchez, Marquardt possibly, Bisping. Serra was in talks to headline, he could possibly do it.

I dont think there needs to be a super main event with an ultra stacked card or anything, considering they have about 1 month to make this card.. but I was wondering what the UFC is going to do. I heard from multiple people that Toney was going to wait and debut in the summer so that makes him unavailable.

Just wanted to get peoples perspective on this before I go in any further detail, I have a few options but I would like to get some feedback/discussion going before I continue.
karn501
3/13/10 8:32:12PM
I say nothing there is no need for counter programming because there isn't a main event that they would give us for free that would make me watch it over sf
jae_1833
3/13/10 9:12:35PM

Posted by karn501

I say nothing there is no need for counter programming because there isn't a main event that they would give us for free that would make me watch it over sf

S/F is putting on the best card they ever have and unless they recreate UFC 100 then I am watching SF and DVRing the UFC. Nothing could make me miss Melendez vs Aoki, King Mo vs Gegard, and Shields vs Hendo all on one event......NOTHING!!!!
hate4thestate
3/13/10 10:56:19PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by karn501

S/F is putting on the best card they ever have and unless they recreate UFC 100 then I am watching SF and DVRing the UFC. Nothing could make me miss Melendez vs Aoki, King Mo vs Gegard, and Shields vs Hendo all on one event......NOTHING!!!!

yea nothing is making me miss this card. i dont care if my own mom dies im not missing it.
DosBox
3/13/10 11:32:18PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by karn501

While I believe both of you are correct, I would certainly argue that the UFC brand itself entices more to the ever important casual audience. Certainly on paper UFC would not be able to match what Strikeforce is putting out.

Having said that, UFC can put on 1/2 the quality or shall I say relevant card against Strikeforce and would still more than likely profit greater than Strikeforce...

CBS should be able to get more viewership... but they absolutely have to especially if both cards take place in the same state because the gate numbers could go in the favor of the UFC.

Last few UFC Fight/Night type cards at least attendance wise go as follows:

UFN 20: 8,078 in Virgina with a gate of $753,692 = $93/ticket
TUF 10 Finale: 1,791 in Nevada with a gate of $503,600 = $281/ticket
UFN 19: 9,490 in Oklahoma with a gate of $577,977 = $61/ticket
The Silva/Irvin that was put up on about 1 months notice (which would be similar to this case) went 2,071 in Nevada with $623,000 gate = $300/ticket

Considering that the UFC and Strikeforce are competing in the state of Tennessee.... The last Fight Night the UFC did in Tennessee was Kampmann vs. Condit and they pulled in 10,000+ in attendance with a gate of $626,00+

I certainly think the UFC will make a dent in both ratings and attendance/gate considering their brand power. Even though I dont think UFC beats Strikeforce in ratings or attendance (not confident saying that), they will definitely steal a bit of Strikeforce's thunder even with a Kampmann/COndit esque headliner.

Having said all of that....

it doesnt get any better than Melendez/Aoki for me.
prozacnation1978
3/14/10 12:13:45AM
won't happen not enough time
if it were it would have been last week
DosBox
3/14/10 12:51:19AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

won't happen not enough time
if it were it would have been last week

Possibly, but the Irvin/Silva UFC Fight Night 14 card to counter Affliction at least logistically was set up/nearing finalization roughly around June 16-19 2008 with the actual UFC Fight Night 14 event took place on July 19th 2008. This would be within the same time frame now (With a possible March 14-19th time frame with the scheduled event on April 17th).

It is plausible to at least logistically set up a card on 1 months notice and still be successful/effective especially with UFC as the brand and its effectiveness in their previous attempt with this tactic.

Only big problem is that they were countering an Affliction PPV, not a free cable TV event, thus is most likely the reason why they are pursuing to counter the event in the same (for the most part) geographical location in Tennessee to effect Strikeforces gate revenue.

I would imagine the UFC sets up either a possible Serra headliner, a Marquardt fight, or maybe Sotiropoulous/Maynard for # 1 contender status and load the card with local Tennesee talent so family/friends in the area could more likely attend.

I think we will get a clearer answer within the next week, but I am definitely leaning towards UFC making a show happen in Tennessee.

KYGUY07
3/15/10 2:29:38AM
The UFC isnt gonna put anything together in this short of time thats gonna make me miss the SF event. Hendo vs Shields is a huge fight that ive been looking forward to since dan left the ufc. If the ufc does counter id like maynard vs sotiropolous to main event. I also would like to see a Bader vs Thiago Silva fight.