Assessing Strikeforce's Chances to Make a Go of Promoting Fedor Emelianenko

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Assessing Strikeforce's Chances to Make a Go of Promoting Fedor Emelianenko
emfleek
8/4/09 2:40:29PM
Dave Meltzer breaks it down. After pointing out that Fedor will be marketed as the No. 1 heavyweight and the legitimate champion in the world as long as he doesn't lose, Meltzer concedes that none of the three likely opponents for Fedor on the Strikeforce roster will create the kind of hype needed to draw general public interest, much less sell a PPV. But he goes on to make the long-term case:

But there are several more factors in the long-term. Strikeforce’s television contract includes options with CBS, which is in the same Viacom corporate umbrella as Showtime. If Emelianenko’s second fight is on CBS in a prime-time slot, he will get a measure of exposure in this country the likes of which he’s never come close to receiving. There is value in being considered by most as the best heavyweight, and of a second MMA organization having someone of his stature on its major events.

STORY
hippysmacker
8/4/09 3:24:25PM
Makes sense to me. As long as Fedor keeps winning, and they put him on CBS to get more exposure, he has even more leverage. As long as it just benefits him, and NOT M-1 it's ok with me.
EliasG
8/4/09 6:02:30PM
the thing is, if he has partnership stake in M-1 it DOES benefit him.

I have a friend that works in a bar. He owns a very large stake in the bar. He gets paid about 70,000 a year to manage/operate the bar. However, he has 75% stake in that bar and a 50% stake in another bar. When his bars clear profit over 1 million dollars per year, he takes home MUCH more than he would for "working" there. But, he WORKS there to ensure it's profitability. Right now times are more lean but he still makes more off of the partnerships than he does off of a salary. That's the beauty of partnerships/ownership as opposed to just being "an employee."

The Fertiti's make more than Lesnar....and they always will.
loffspring
8/4/09 6:11:58PM
Good points. Fedor in the UFC would have been great but it looks good on Dana. He's gotta learn some humility and stop acting like a 14 year old girl when things don't go his way.
motorboatensob
8/4/09 8:07:28PM

Posted by loffspring

Good points. Fedor in the UFC would have been great but it looks good on Dana. He's gotta learn some humility and stop acting like a 14 year old girl when things don't go his way.

Learn some humility,stop acting like a girl. The UFC and Dana gave Fedor everything he wanted the money letting him go fight in Sambo everything but a co promotion. After doing all that a still not getting him I say let them act how ever they want I now could care less about Fedor let him fight in every second rate organization let him fight every second rate fighter he wants I could care less if he comes to the UFC. There is no way i would work my tale of to build a company and then let some other company who is just getting started come in and take half the credit.
loffspring
8/4/09 8:25:56PM
one of the points of the article is that by throwing a hissy fit and insulting Fedor a year ago, may have prevented this current deal.
king_katool
8/4/09 9:05:16PM

Posted by loffspring

one of the points of the article is that by throwing a hissy fit and insulting Fedor a year ago, may have prevented this current deal.

and thats not true, the only thing that prevented this deal is the fact that fedor is under contract with M-1 and M-1 wants co-promotion
loffspring
8/4/09 9:17:16PM
None of us really know anything.. It's all speculation but it sounds reasonable to me. I'm hoping it gives Dana alittle pause before he bashes the next guy that doesn't do what he wants.
StriderXero
8/4/09 9:55:52PM
It's funny cuz some people are making it seem like M-1 would own half of the UFC. When I think they would get half of the profits in the UFC events that Fedor headlines. I still think that is asking for too much for just one fighter. They should get maybe 1/5th of the profits. Maybe lesss
tomp6581
8/5/09 5:29:48AM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by loffspring

and thats not true, the only thing that prevented this deal is the fact that fedor is under contract with M-1 and M-1 wants co-promotion

Exactly!!

The amount of people who have been calling Fedor a free-agent is amazing, most notably yahoosports. He simply isnt.

Fedor as 3 fights left on a M-1 contract. He is allowed to fight in other oganisations if they agree to co-promote with m-1.

UFC wanted an exclusive contact. So the deal didnt happen.