Ask the Doc: Dr. Benjamin on foot stomps and good chins vs. bad chins

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ask the Doc: Dr. Benjamin on foot stomps and good chins vs. bad chins
SmileR
9/24/08 2:41:37PM
Q. I have a serious question that I would like to ask you, and I hope that you find the time to respond. First off, I love your column and enjoy reading it. I only wish you posted more than you do. My question is: How do you feel about foot stomps? In my opinion, I think this is really a brutal technique that could cause severe mobility injuries, especially to lightweights who are, of course, smaller framed and highly rely on their mobility as part of their offensive and defensive game plans. It amazes me that I haven't personally heard of any severe injuries coming from this, but I can't help but feel when I see it being implemented against the cage that intense pain is right around the corner for one of the two combatants. (from reader "Purplejitz08")

A. "I think this is a brutal technique." I think you're being far too kind to refer to a foot stomp as a "technique." I refer to it as a desperate measure employed by a desperate fighter. If your go-to move is to stomp on an athlete's foot while in a clinch, I have some advice for you: practice more. Dirty boxing, Muay Thai, judo throws and sweeps are "techniques." Stomping on a foot is a muffled cry for help. Please, please someone recognize my deficiencies and teach me honorable legitimate techniques.

A foot and ankle surgeon once told me that people never think about their feet until they don't work correctly. Let someone stomp your foot and break it, and watch how miserable your next few months (if not more) become. Every step hurts. The foot is an architectural masterpiece. Destroy its integrity and get ready for a potential lifetime of pain.

Ask people with simple foot disorders such as flat feet or plantar fasciits (not to mention a tarsal or metatarsal bone fracture) how happy they are. Ask them how many miles can they run for their cardio or how training is going. And if you were the troll who stomped their foot and caused an injury, I pray that he or she (politically correct) pokes you in the eye and knees you in the groin.

I consider a foot stomp nothing more than a nuisance foul -- like fish hooking, but with potentially far greater consequences. Foot stomps have no place in MMA.

Link
matt_black
9/24/08 2:59:16PM
I agree with his opinion quite alot, If they cut out covering the mouth, i dont see how a footstomp is any more of a technique.
disorderlyvision
9/24/08 3:29:36PM

Posted by matt_black

I agree with his opinion quite alot, If they cut out covering the mouth, i dont see how a footstomp is any more of a technique.

it is a bit more effective and does more damage than covering the mouth.
KINGJAMES
9/24/08 4:46:45PM
If the foot stomp is so bad, then why hasn't any fights been stopped due to an injury caused by one?
disorderlyvision
9/24/08 4:54:54PM
also, i dont agree with his assessment that it is a sissy move for people who don't know how to fight. it is used to set up take downs. and it is an effect strike when your arms are tied up in the clinch.
jocka
9/24/08 5:14:58PM
Foot Stomps are a technic... next thing you ll hear is that punches to the nose are only used by fighters who can't strike
Solidus
9/24/08 5:24:38PM
Ive always wondered about the physical implications of footstomps. You never hear of any injury which is surprising I think considering how fragile the little bones in your feet are. Im not a fighter, but just watching it seems like they add very little to the game. The person doing the stomping never seems to gain much advantage from it.
Zekeil
9/24/08 9:05:35PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

also, i dont agree with his assessment that it is a sissy move for people who don't know how to fight. it is used to set up take downs. and it is an effect strike when your arms are tied up in the clinch.

It is a sissy move for people who don't know how to fight.
Come up with another way to take them down other than stomping on their foot.
It's used by weak opponents who don't want to give up any space because they are afraid to get hit.
Grow a set of balls, No one is ever tied up too much in the clinch they can't go down for a double leg or dirty box and make an opening for the takedown.
No if you watch most of the guys foot stomping duck their head on the back side of their opponent so they are safe from knees or strikes of any kind.

It's a WEAK move for weak fighters in my book.
Ben_Hutch
9/24/08 9:22:01PM

Posted by Zekeil

It's used by weak opponents who don't want to give up any space because they are afraid to get hit.
Grow a set of balls, No one is ever tied up too much in the clinch they can't go down for a double leg or dirty box and make an opening for the takedown.
No if you watch most of the guys foot stomping duck their head on the back side of their opponent so they are safe from knees or strikes of any kind.

That's just not true at all.

As a fighter why wouldn't you want to do whatever you could if it meant winning?

End of.
disorderlyvision
9/25/08 12:16:28AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Zekeil

That's just not true at all.

As a fighter why wouldn't you want to do whatever you could if it meant winning?

End of.

agreed that is a pretty stupid assessment of foot stomps. that like saying head movement is stupid cause you are trying to dodge the punches because you dont have balls enough to get hit in the face.
KINGJAMES
9/25/08 1:10:26AM

Posted by Zekeil

I've seen A.Silva do it before and he aint weak. And what's wrong with not wanting to get hit in the face.? A foot stomp is just like a jab in that it doesn't stop a fight but can be used to set something up that may.
tmas
9/25/08 9:52:55AM
Most fighters will tell you they dont even feel the footstomps during the stomp.

They can be used well and help, people who say its a weak for weak bla bla bla are just outright unintellegient when it comes to MMA.
jocka
9/25/08 12:10:23PM

Posted by Zekeil

wow you have to be kidding me i ll lock you up in a muay thai clinch and you won't be able to take me down so imagine a muay thai professional fighter or a greco roman wrestler ...