Ask the Doc: Why is Dr. Benjamin against five-minute rounds in women's MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ask the Doc: Why is Dr. Benjamin against five-minute rounds in women's MMA?
MMAcca
6/23/09 1:28:57AM
In his latest "Ask the Doc," feature, MMAjunkie.com medical columnist Dr. Johnny Benjamin answers a question about his fanaticism (or lack thereof) for women's MMA. He also explains why organizations must carefully consider the ramifications of moving from three-minute rounds to five-minute frames for anything but the top-level female fighters.

LINK
AchillesHeel
6/23/09 9:18:34AM
He's asserting that women tire more quickly than men. I'm not aware of any study that's found that to be true, and all of the anecdotal evidence suggests that it isn't true. I'm pretty sure women play 90 minutes of soccer, and wrestle a 3-minute round and 2 2-minute rounds, just like men.

If he said he wanted amateur MMA matches to use 3-minute rounds, that would be one thing, but this is just sexism.

decken
6/23/09 11:48:00AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

He's asserting that women tire more quickly than men. I'm not aware of any study that's found that to be true, and all of the anecdotal evidence suggests that it isn't true. I'm pretty sure women play 90 minutes of soccer, and wrestle a 3-minute round and 2 2-minute rounds, just like men.

If he said he wanted amateur MMA matches to use 3-minute rounds, that would be one thing, but this is just sexism.

That is not what i got from it. He does not like the idea of five minute round because for wmma because he does not enjoy watching it and since the talent level is lacking in wmma shorter rounds are safer for the fighters.
MMA_Alex
6/23/09 11:50:47AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I believe he was actually basing his opinion off the women's MMA that he's seen, not women in general. And there have been some pretty poor performances in women's mma (gassing, turning completely away from opponents after being hit, etc). It's not sexist. Women's MMA is just not that developed yet.
Giant_Ochai
6/23/09 12:40:22PM
Five minute rounds will results in more finishes and will separate the world class females from the rest.
AchillesHeel
6/23/09 1:33:29PM

Posted by decken

That is not what i got from it. He does not like the idea of five minute round because for wmma because he does not enjoy watching it [...]

I think he satisfactorily separated his disinterest in women's MMA from his opinion on the length of the rounds.

Posted by decken

and since the talent level is lacking in wmma shorter rounds are safer for the fighters.

He writes, "I am not a fan of five-minute rounds for WMMA because studies have suggested that the likelihood for injury significantly increases as athletes (male or female) tire, especially with contact and combat athletes"

He specifically states that the studies he's citing apply both to men and women, but he isn't suggesting that any male MMA fighters be restricted to 3-minute rounds. He's suggesting that accommodations for exhausted fighters be made only if the fighters in question are women.

Posted by MMA_Alex

I believe he was actually basing his opinion off the women's MMA that he's seen, not women in general. And there have been some pretty poor performances in women's mma (gassing, turning completely away from opponents after being hit, etc). It's not sexist. Women's MMA is just not that developed yet.

He's suggesting that women's MMA, writ large, confine itself to 3-minute rounds. So, yes, he might be basing his opinion on fights that he's seen, but he's extrapolating from that to all women in MMA. If that's the case, he's being unprofessional in addition to sexist.
MMA_Alex
6/24/09 12:35:54PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by MMA_Alex

He's suggesting that women's MMA, writ large, confine itself to 3-minute rounds. So, yes, he might be basing his opinion on fights that he's seen, but he's extrapolating from that to all women in MMA. If that's the case, he's being unprofessional in addition to sexist.

He actually said in the article that the elite of women's MMA would be suited for 5 min rounds. What he's suggesting (and what I partially agree with, based on what I've seen) is that the majority of women's MMA is still not developed enough to be considered in that "elite" class (ie, most are on the amateur level still).

The reason he doesn't apply his examples & cited studies to men is because men's MMA has a much, much larger pool of "elite" fighters, who don't tire easily or put themselves in dangerous positions frequently (like turning completely away as someone is hitting you). You can tell they aren't amateurs. The same can't be said for all of the women's MMA fights I've seen.

Either way, he said he'd be more open to 5 rounds when enough female fighters display the ability to consistently fight in a professional (as opposed to amateur) manner.