Asian & Japanese Fighters (How They Faired In The UFC)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Asian & Japanese Fighters (How They Faired In The UFC)
EON
4/21/08 8:21:18PM
Wheather it's fighting for the first time in another country or just getting beat by better competition, it seems the UFC has seen many good Japanese/Asian fighters come and go. There are some obvious exceptions over the years but for the most part they end up going back to Japan/Asia or fighting in smaller organizations.

I think a lot of the Japanese/Asian organizations should open to other fighters than just Japanese/Asian fighters (possible that many fighters dont want to go out to the far east i realize this) such as Shooto and Deep where its mostly Japansese/Asian fighters.

This is in no way disrespect to them I just think fighting people with different backgrounds in fighting and different styles of fighters make you more well rounded in case you get to the big show. Here's a list of more established Asian or Japanese fighters and how they faired in the UFC...

Yoji Anjo (0-5-1) (0-3 UFC) Losses to Tank, Bustamante And Lindland
Tsuyoshi Kosaka (24-18-1) (3-3 UFC) Losses To Bas, Ricco And Rizzo
Daiju Takase (7-11) (0-3 UFC) Losses To Horn, K. Yamamoto And Iha
Koji Oishi (16-7-4) (0-2 UFC) Losses To LaVerne Clark And Nick Diaz
Yuki Kondo (48-20-6) (1-2 UFC) Losses To Tito And Matyushenko
Caol Uno (24-10-4) (3-3-1 UFC) (3-4 Penn won at 41) Losses To Pulver, Penn And Franca
Hayato Sakurai (32-7-1) (0-1 UFC) Lost To Hughes (dont know why he left)
Yuki Sasaki (21-13-1) (0-1 UFC) Loss To Lister
Kuniyoshi Hironaka (11-5) (1-3 UFC) Losses To Fitch, Alves And Goulet
Dokonjonosuke Mishima (17-6-2) (0-2 UFC)Losses To Stevenson And Florian
Keita Nakamura (14-3-2) (0-3 UFC) Losses To Larson, Fickett And Emerson
Naoyuki Kotani (17-7-6) (0-2 UFC) Losses To Tavares And Siver
Michihiro Omigawa (4-6) (0-2 UFC) Losses To Tavares And Wiman
Kazuhiro Nakamura (11-7) (0-1 UFC) Lost To Machida
Ryo Chonan (14-8) (0-1 UFC) Lost To Karo

warglory
4/21/08 9:24:21PM

Posted by EON

Wheather it's fighting for the first time in another country or just getting beat by better competition, it seems the UFC has seen many good Japanese/Asian fighters come and go. There are some obvious exceptions over the years but for the most part they end up going back to Japan/Asia or fighting in smaller organizations.

I think a lot of the Japanese/Asian organizations should open to other fighters than just Japanese/Asian fighters (possible that many fighters dont want to go out to the far east i realize this) such as Shooto and Deep where its mostly Japansese/Asian fighters.

This is in no way disrespect to them I just think fighting people with different backgrounds in fighting and different styles of fighters make you more well rounded in case you get to the big show. Here's a list of more established Asian or Japanese fighters and how they faired in the UFC...

Yoji Anjo (0-5-1) (0-3 UFC) Losses to Tank, Bustamante And Lindland
Tsuyoshi Kosaka (24-18-1) (3-3 UFC) Losses To Bas, Ricco And Rizzo
Daiju Takase (7-11) (0-3 UFC) Losses To Horn, K. Yamamoto And Iha
Koji Oishi (16-7-4) (0-2) Losses To LaVerne Clark And Nick Diaz
Yuki Kondo (48-20-6) (1-2) Losses To Tito And Matyushenko
Caol Uno (24-10-4) (3-3-1) (3-4 Penn won at 41) Losses To Pulver, Penn And Franca
Hayato Sakurai (32-7-1) (0-1 UFC) Lost To Hughes (dont know why he left)
Yuki Sasaki (21-13-1) (0-1 UFC) Loss To Lister
Kuniyoshi Hironaka (11-5) (1-3 UFC) Losses To Fitch, Alves And Goulet
Dokonjonosuke Mishima (17-6-2) (0-2 UFC)Losses To Stevenson And Florian
Keita Nakamura (14-3-2) (0-3 UFC) Losses To Larson, Fickett And Emerson
Naoyuki Kotani (17-7-6) (0-2 UFC) Losses To Tavares And Siver
Michihiro Omigawa (4-6) (0-2 UFC) Losses To Tavares And Wiman
Kazuhiro Nakamura (11-7) (0-1 UFC) Lost To Machida
Ryo Chonan (14-8) (0-1 UFC) Lost To Karo

Granted, Asian fights have not faired well in the UFC, but your post kinda gives off a biased vibe (even if that wasn't your intention). You failed to add Sakuraba, Okami and Gono who have all had success in the UFC with Okami likely getting the next shot at the title. Also for those who were fans of the UFC during the dark ages, you'll remember that TK Kohsaka was actually quite popular because of his friendship with Maurice Smith despite not winning many matches.
EON
4/21/08 9:39:43PM

Posted by warglory

Granted, Asian fights have not faired well in the UFC, but your post kinda gives off a biased vibe (even if that wasn't your intention). You failed to add Sakuraba, Okami and Gono who have all had success in the UFC with Okami likely getting the next shot at the title. Also for those who were fans of the UFC during the dark ages, you'll remember that TK Kohsaka was actually quite popular because of his friendship with Maurice Smith despite not winning many matches.

i said there were some obvious ones who did / do well, should i have named them? i even said this was not disrespectful and gaves some reasons why they might not have done well, being a very distant relative to a Japanese Great Great Grandfather i meant no such bias
DLPark91TH
4/21/08 10:06:03PM
RACIST jk

But if you look at the fighters most of those Asian fighters have fought, they by no means are easy fights.

And yes, I'm Asian lol.

WAR ASIANS IN THE UFC...even though they have like 3...

How many do they actually have?
Gono
Okami
Chonan
Dong Hyun Kim
and uhh is Dokonjonosuke still in the UFC?
rofl...so little Asians in the UFC
cowcatcher
4/21/08 10:25:26PM
here are a few reasons asians dont do well in the ufc:
1. american/north american fighters very often have a strong wrestling base and therefore have cut weight most of their lives, therefore they are bigger and also stronger than their asian counterparts.
2. many asian organizations over the years booled fighters but did not finalize the cards until much closer to the day of the event than the ufc does. therefore american/NA fighters have more time to implement a game plan for each specific opponent rather than going in there relying on ability and experience only.
3. the cage: its doesnt seem like it would be a big deal but there is a lot more square footage in there than in a ring, and most american pros have a cage to train in, im not sure most asians have this luxury.

there are some great fighters on both sides of the pacific, and id venture to guess that on japanese soil a lot of the western fighters wouldnt look like the same guys over there that they did here.
jiujitsufreak74
4/21/08 10:32:34PM

Posted by cowcatcher

1. american/north american fighters very often have a strong wrestling base and therefore have cut weight most of their lives, therefore they are bigger and also stronger than their asian counterparts.
2. many asian organizations over the years booled fighters but did not finalize the cards until much closer to the day of the event than the ufc does. therefore american/NA fighters have more time to implement a game plan for each specific opponent rather than going in there relying on ability and experience only.
3. the cage: its doesnt seem like it would be a big deal but there is a lot more square footage in there than in a ring, and most american pros have a cage to train in, im not sure most asians have this luxury.

there are some great fighters on both sides of the pacific, and id venture to guess that on japanese soil a lot of the western fighters wouldnt look like the same guys over there that they did here.

don't give away the secrets...

EON
4/21/08 10:43:11PM

Posted by cowcatcher

right, good post, i mean its hard to transition from ring to cage especially when your fighting mainly wrestlers / bjj experts, plus some of the best fighters from asia have been fighting people all from japan or asia, Sakurai is a good example (one of my favorites btw) he was 18-0-2 at one point and considered one of the best ever until he fought a Muay Thai expert named Anderson Silva and a wrestler name Matt Hughes. Another good example is Keita Nakamura was 14-0-2 at one point and also rated very high overseas, he got to the UFC and faced 2 great wrestlers in Fickett and Larson (very good fighters to stary UFC career with) then lost a fight he should have won to Emerson.

I dont think Okami can beat Anderson at all but Gono and Kim could do well at welterweight as well as Chonan, I'd like to see Cung Le, Misaki and Akiyama in the UFC to see how they'd fare.

I hate to say it but i think the Asian fighters might be cursed when it comes to the octagon. However if there was a featherweight division and Kid Yamamoto came to the UFC he'd dominate
jae_1833
4/21/08 10:54:22PM
I'd say it's mainly due to fighting styles (judo/muaytai v wrestling/boxing) and the cage...more footage and shape prevents opponent from being cut off more. I think the latter is mainly why Cro Cop had such a hard time. Overall Asian fighters prefer the stand-up game more and play that like chess to prove that their style is the best, while Americans tend to do whatever it takes to get the W to prove that they are the best.
disorderlyvision
4/22/08 2:53:41AM
regardless of their lack of success in the octagon asian fighters seem to be tough. i bet if you did the math over half of those losses were by decision.
rice118
4/22/08 3:45:59AM

Posted by cowcatcher

100% and one more thing most of then are not aggresive
ICSlegend
4/23/08 2:15:50AM
Weak thread, left out a bunch of guys with winning records

Machida is 4-0
Okami is 6-1
Gono is 1-0
Enson Inoue is 1-0
Minowa is 1-0
Kikuta is 1-0
Takahashi is 1-0
Sakuraba is 1-0
Genki Sudo was 2-1 in the UFC
Jutaro Nakao is 1-1 (decision loss to Sherk)
Uno and TK break even wins and losses
Cung Le is destroying people in a cage under basically UFC rules

Sakurai fought one of the greatest MMA champions of all time. He would destroy just about any other UFC fighter had he fought them. And I love how you count Takase loss to ANOTHER JAPANESE fighter! Not to mention he's got a win over the current MW champ.

I can make a dumb thread about how Americans faired in other promotions, and list a ton of guys who got destroyed....so what?
EON
4/23/08 3:33:57AM

Posted by ICSlegend

Weak thread, left out a bunch of guys with winning records

Machida is 4-0
Okami is 6-1
Gono is 1-0
Enson Inoue is 1-0
Minowa is 1-0
Kikuta is 1-0
Takahashi is 1-0
Sakuraba is 1-0
Genki Sudo was 2-1 in the UFC
Jutaro Nakao is 1-1 (decision loss to Sherk)
Uno and TK break even wins and losses
Cung Le is destroying people in a cage under basically UFC rules

Sakurai fought one of the greatest MMA champions of all time. He would destroy just about any other UFC fighter had he fought them. And I love how you count Takase loss to ANOTHER JAPANESE fighter! Not to mention he's got a win over the current MW champ.

I can make a dumb thread about how Americans faired in other promotions, and list a ton of guys who got destroyed....so what?

Dude LOL, you are a trainwreck of idiocy, did you even freakin read anything? i made regards to the ones with good UFC records, and look at that most of them with winning UFC records they have 1 or 2 wins, quite successful huh? and 1-1 is not successful thats 50/50, the majority of Asian fighters dont do well with the cage or mainly fighting wrestling opponents, oh and the guy who beat takase has a losing UFC record too and is included in the thread so nice one there buddy. And i also mentioned how sakurai was one of my favorites, can you read?

This was suppose to be a discussion on why they arnt successful, not racism you sensitive child, if you put wins against losses theres way more losses, dont be a denial headcase, do the math einstein, i didnt even include all of the ones with losing records just the recognizable ones, you dont need to get all pissy, the UFC is the best org. right now and why would i do stats of orgs. with mostly cans, you are a trainwreck of sensitivity so i must asume your asian right? i have asian decend as well so.. smoke that,

This was not supposed to be disrespectful or did you not read it? NO? thats what i thought....why are you acting like threads are center of the life cycle? go ahead and make a thread about this, dont care, but really, get a life man seriously
ICSlegend
4/23/08 2:21:52PM

Posted by EON

Dude LOL, you are a trainwreck of idiocy, did you even freakin read anything?

Dude....you just proved my point with your entire reply. And nice touch on calling me a "trainwreck of idiocy" That's actually a good way to describe this thread.

And yes, I can read, which seems to be hard for you judging by your reply.

Posted by EON

i made regards to the ones with good UFC records, and look at that most of them with winning UFC records they have 1 or 2 wins, quite successful huh?

Where did you make regards to successful Asian fighters in the original post? You mention no disrespect, but only list those with losing records. Thats dumb.

And yes, a 100% win rate in the UFC is successful. Learn math. You include some Asian fighters with losing record of 0-1, so according to your hypocrisy thats enough to gauge their ability if they lose once, but not if they win once? Dumb. Also if you want to examine a few of the guys on your list like Sakurai, losing to Matt Hughes isn't indicative of a UFC performance. Hughes would beat Sakurai anywhere (in his prime he was just unstoppable).

Posted by EON

and 1-1 is not successful thats 50/50, the majority of Asian fighters dont do well with the cage or mainly fighting wrestling opponents, oh and the guy who beat takase has a losing UFC record too and is included in the thread so nice one there buddy. And i also mentioned how sakurai was one of my favorites, can you read?

Oh, wow, you do know some math. Yes, 1-1 is not necessarily successful, NOR IS IT UNSUCCESSFUL. It's 50/50 like you said, they broke even, so don't belong on either side of the bracket. So Uno, TK and Nakao shouldn't even be factored in. And what does Sakurai being one of your favorites have anything to do with anything? You should know that had he fought anyone besides Hughes he would have won, and we could add him to the successful column.

And your ASSUMPTION that the majority of Asian fighters don't do well in a cage and/or against wrestlers is not justifiable by a few bad performances. Plenty did well. Once again, pointless thread.

Posted by EON
This was suppose to be a discussion on why they arnt successful, not racism you sensitive child, if you put wins against losses theres way more losses, dont be a denial headcase, do the math einstein, i didnt even include all of the ones with losing records just the recognizable ones, you dont need to get all pissy,

Well here's the problem right there genius, you ASSUME Asians are not successfull you ignorant child. That assumption is based on very little facts. And WHERE THE HELL DID I CALL YOU OR THE THREAD RACIST? Can you read?! Point that out to me where I said that.

And no, there are not "way more" losses, learn math.
Asian fighters with winning records: 9
Asian fighters with losing records: 12
Asian fighters with even records:3

Hardly conclusive evidence there Einstein. You ever consider that some Asian fighters are just not that good and don't represent Asian fighters in the UFC well? That's why this entire thread is weak and based on ignorant presumptions.

And yes, you included ALL the Asian fighters with losing records, you don't need to get all pissy.

Posted by EON
the UFC is the best org. right now and why would i do stats of orgs. with mostly cans,

Oh wow, another baseless OPINION. UFC is the best org based on what? What your personal preferances are? So Dream/Sengoku/Shooto are mostly cans? UFC has a MUCH HIGHER percentage of cans then DREAM right now. Open your biased eyes and stop being a baby that thinks their toy is the best.

Posted by EON
you are a trainwreck of sensitivity so i must asume your asian right? i have asian decend as well so.. smoke that,

Wow some more IGNORANT assumptions. I'm not sensitive, I was just pointing out that this thread is weak and baseless, just like your OPINIONS. And no, I'm not Asian, don't ASSUME, you make yourself look like an idiot doing that. And I don't care if you have Asian "decend". By the way, that would mean your offspring are Asian, if your talking about parents/grandparents, that would be "ancestors" not "descendants". Smoke that buddy.

Posted by EON
This was not supposed to be disrespectful or did you not read it? NO? thats what i thought....why are you acting like threads are center of the life cycle? go ahead and make a thread about this, dont care, but really, get a life man seriously

Yes, I read that your thread "was meant" not be disrespectful. But I can say, "no disrespect, but your a moron". That's disrespectful even though I said it wasn't. Is that too much for you to comprehend? This thread is disrespecftul to Asian fighters. And your the one who's making a thread out of this, not me.
EON
4/23/08 8:08:16PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Dude...you just proved my point with your entire reply. And nice touch on calling me a "trainwreck of idiocy" That's actually a good way to describe this thread.

you are man, the train has wrecked, your whole reply was stupid LOL

Posted by ICSlegend

And yes, I can read, which seems to be hard for you judging by your reply.

You must be a late bloomer then

Posted by ICSlegend

Where did you make regards to successful Asian fighters in the original post? You mention no disrespect, but only list those with losing records. Thats dumb.

And yes, a 100% win rate in the UFC is successful. Learn math. You include some Asian fighters with losing record of 0-1, so according to your hypocrisy thats enough to gauge their ability if they lose once, but not if they win once? Dumb. Also if you want to examine a few of the guys on your list like Sakurai, losing to Matt Hughes isn't indicative of a UFC performance. Hughes would beat Sakurai anywhere (in his prime he was just unstoppable).

i said quote "there are obvious exceptions to this" therefore you didnt read the first post you illiterate child, and no 1 and 2 wins means you didnt stay with the UFC which means yes 100% success rate however the opponents faced were B level at best after leaving the UFC, funny how you tried to turn the math thing against me, it was not supposed to be taken so literally, if you seriously think that going 1-0 is successful in the dark ages of the UFC be my guess lil guy

Posted by ICSlegend

Oh, wow, you do know some math. Yes, 1-1 is not necessarily successful, NOR IS IT UNSUCCESSFUL. It's 50/50 like you said, they broke even, so don't belong on either side of the bracket. So Uno, TK and Nakao shouldn't even be factored in. And what does Sakurai being one of your favorites have anything to do with anything? You should know that had he fought anyone besides Hughes he would have won, and we could add him to the successful column.

And your ASSUMPTION that the majority of Asian fighters don't do well in a cage and/or against wrestlers is not justifiable by a few bad performances. Plenty did well. Once again, pointless thread.

Funny you mention my math because your the first one to F*** up on that one, nicceeeeee, i consider Uno 3-4 as do almost everybody so too bad, and besides "breaking even dosnt make you successful" if you beat 3 cans and lose to 3 elite fighters thats not successful.....LOL jeezes, and yes most of them are not successful in the UFC, do the math, you still havnt done the math, you keep trying to use that against me when i didnt do any math wrong, look at the numbers the losses at least double the wins.

Posted by ICSlegend

Well here's the problem right there genius, you ASSUME Asians are not successfull you ignorant child. That assumption is based on very little facts. And WHERE THE HELL DID I CALL YOU OR THE THREAD RACIST? Can you read?! Point that out to me where I said that.

And no, there are not "way more" losses, learn math.
Asian fighters with winning records: 9
Asian fighters with losing records: 12
Asian fighters with even records:3

i dont have to assume i looked at the opponents they faced and there records in the UFC, hell look at there records outside the UFC some of them arnt good either, so for you to say that is like calling yourself a naive moron, and you didnt call it racist but you meant it by saying "oh i could do stats of another org blah blah blah im angry nothing"

I want to see the fighters you discluded and included, your being stupid and bias, i told you i left out many fighters with 0-1 or 1-2 records, i did my part, your just trying to be a d-bag with no structured offense against my argument because your an angry asian, hey i have the heritage and im not ashamed they didnt do well in the UFC, get the hell over it, your starting to sound really sad

Posted by ICSlegend

Hardly conclusive evidence there Einstein. You ever consider that some Asian fighters are just not that good and don't represent Asian fighters in the UFC well? That's why this entire thread is weak and based on ignorant presumptions.

Hmmm, nobody else is having a problem accepting this, nice one there with the einstein, using another one of my insults to you, very original, you should be a writer bro, damn fine work, and did i ever say that the asian fighters in teh UFC represent all of them, you couldnt even find a quote there sherlock? exactly.... man your making something out of nothing, and you cant call it ignorant assumptions when the numbers dont lie (not the b/s ones you made since you left out people) and the competition they faced was just better

Posted by ICSlegend

Oh wow, another baseless OPINION. UFC is the best org based on what? What your personal preferances are? So Dream/Sengoku/Shooto are mostly cans? UFC has a MUCH HIGHER percentage of cans then DREAM right now. Open your biased eyes and stop being a baby that thinks their toy is the best.

Oh man you are dumb, lol, should i even dignify you with a response....ok, most of the top 10s are there, most of the other tops 10s have at least fought there, they bought pride and rights to some of the pride fighters, do i need to continue or are you gonna make another lame response saying how the UFC has competition....right

Posted by ICSlegend

Wow some more IGNORANT assumptions. I'm not sensitive, I was just pointing out that this thread is weak and baseless, just like your OPINIONS. And no, I'm not Asian, don't ASSUME, you make yourself look like an idiot doing that. And I don't care if you have Asian "decend". By the way, that would mean your offspring are Asian, if your talking about parents/grandparents, that would be "ancestors" not "descendants". Smoke that buddy.

not ignorant when its true, you are a train....still with me.....its full of sensitivity and tears.....and its saying boo hoo i'm in denial that asians dont do well in the UFC and i make a whole bunch of b/s and excuses, even attacking the threadstarter to avoid thinking about it...ahhhh booo hooo

p.s descend is a word you idiot

Posted by ICSlegend

Yes, I read that your thread "was meant" not be disrespectful. But I can say, "no disrespect, but your a moron". That's disrespectful even though I said it wasn't. Is that too much for you to comprehend? This thread is disrespecftul to Asian fighters. And your the one who's making a thread out of this, not me.

haha wow your even dumber than i thought, i can say whatever thruths i want, its the numbers, do i have to freakin explain this again or are you still in denial? if you call me an idiot thats just an opinion, im not basing this on opinions, god damn... some people how is it disrespectful, your just attacking me again instead of the facts, whens the last time an asian won besides gono, lyoto, hironaka or okami...........................yeah i cant think of one either maybe genki sudo....you need serious therapy if you think i was disrespectful, like i said nobody was butthurt until you came along, sensitive, dont be getting sand in your vagina now....
ICSlegend
4/24/08 1:05:49AM
All I can do is

Your pathetic responses are just funny. You tried to structure a response like I did, but all you did is prove your too dumb to understand anything I said, and responsed with nonsense trying to cover up your ignorance. Thanks for the laugh.

Anyway, not gonna waste any more time as your determined to stay ignorant, and its too easy to tear down your so called "points". But do you honestly think some unranked Asian fighters doing poorly represent how Asian fighters did/would do in the UFC? What are you smoking? All that Sakurai and Uno proved are that Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, and Pulver are awesome. Everyone knows that, Asian fighters fighting in the UFC has nothing to do with it. Damn, grow up kid. Sorry I tried to explain things that are out of your realm of comprehension.

Descend is a word.... good stuff
EON
4/24/08 3:08:18AM

Posted by ICSlegend

All I can do is

Your pathetic responses are just funny. You tried to structure a response like I did, but all you did is prove your too dumb to understand anything I said, and responsed with nonsense trying to cover up your ignorance. Thanks for the laugh.

Anyway, not gonna waste any more time as your determined to stay ignorant, and its too easy to tear down your so called "points". But do you honestly think some unranked Asian fighters doing poorly represent how Asian fighters did/would do in the UFC? What are you smoking? All that Sakurai and Uno proved are that Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, and Pulver are awesome. Everyone knows that, Asian fighters fighting in the UFC has nothing to do with it. Damn, grow up kid. Sorry I tried to explain things that are out of your realm of comprehension.

Descend is a word.... good stuff

Pathetic because you dont have anything to rebuttal..hmm thats what i thought, even though this completely went over your head i dont have any hard feelings, if you really think it was a bad thing to show how and why they didnt do well then i can only feel pity for you now, and there you go again trying very hard to use my points against me, its called a defense mechanism many people do it.

If by ignorant you mean showing numbers ok then, you contiune to be naive its all good sport, and i dont believe i ranked anybody or said they represent asia, its represented in the UFC and they havnt done well, are you seriously gonna use the race card on me or use the they dont represent there continent / country. And yes the asian fighters records has everything to do with this thread, i understood what you said but its asinine, could you be less original.....

For the record and thus proving that your a kid, Descend-vti be related: to be connected by blood to an ancestor be descended. Or to be inherited: to be inherited from or passed down by parents or ancestors. Lets see your response to that since you've been proven wrong in every aspect of your fracture arguments....oh wait your not responding anymore because you have no argument but are using defense machanisms.
ICSlegend
4/24/08 11:42:48AM
Still going