Asian elephant cured of heroin addiction

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Asian elephant cured of heroin addiction
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/28/08 3:47:41PM
An elephant that became addicted to heroin at the hands of illegal traders will return home Saturday after a three-year rehab program, Chinese media said.
Xiguang, a 4-year-old male Asian elephant, became addicted after he was captured by smugglers along the Chinese-Myanmar border in March 2005. The traders fed the elephant bananas laced with heroin as bait and to pacify the creature, the official Xinhua News Agency said Thursday night.

When Xiguang was found two months later along with six other captured elephants in China's southwest, he was suffering from withdrawal and was sent to a protection center in China's tropical Hainan island.

Xiguang received daily methadone injections in doses five times larger than those given to a human and has now fully recovered, Xinhua said.
Link
_____________________________________________________________]

cant help but picture a skinny elephant lokin for his fix
& if they needed that much methadone, how much heroin was this elephant receiving before the recovered him?
Evilwig
9/29/08 10:00:05AM
It made me remember about this one:
Elephant on LSD
Branwest
9/29/08 5:33:48PM
First of all, there are some methadone clinics that give humans three doses a day. An elephant is HUGE. They just break it up into five doses so that he doesn't withdraw. Most clinics give one dose per person in the early mornings. However, it wears off as the day goes along, and by night, many are experiencing withdraw pains. If you get on the correct dose though, the one dose should be sufficient and the person experience no withdraw pains. It all depends upon the person, their size, how much heroin or other opiates (such as oxycontin or morphine) they were taking, and their metabollism. I read about this story several weeks ago and find it encouraging for those who participate in methadone programs across the world. I live in the tri-state, northeastern KY area, where oxycontin and other pills have been an epidemic for many years. I have seen many people die including my best friend. Our local methadone clinic in Huntington WV is the second biggest CRC clinic in the United States. If it weren't for that clinic, there would be much more crime and pharmacies being robbed. I just can't believe that those smugglers were willing to give that much heroin to an elephant. Something as big as an elephant would require a LOT of heroin. That is a lot of money. Of course they come from a place where they can grow poppy plants, but still, that's absurd and cruel. I bet the first time they gave it to the elephant, though, it was feeling really good.
jae_1833
9/30/08 12:16:43AM
I'm no PETA representative or anything, but that kind (both of them) of animal cruelty should be punishable by death.
MMAcca
9/30/08 1:37:54AM
The headline justs says it all for me

On a serious note though, i hope bad things happen to the people who did this
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/30/08 5:20:20AM

Posted by MMAcca

The headline justs says it all for me

On a serious note though, i hope bad things happen to the people who did this

i hope bad things happen also

glad u like the headline, i hoped people might enjoy some off-topic randomness everynow & then
MMAcca
9/30/08 3:48:37PM
For definate
RampageOwnedYou
9/30/08 5:28:23PM
Sick world we live in.
Very sad what happens to animals outside of North America. I mean alot of bad stuff happens in North America, but nothing close to China and Africa...Just wish we can capture all of these sick human beings, and feed them heroin and let them go through withdrawl...
Ben_Hutch
9/30/08 5:48:00PM
American News.............All they care about is pointless shit
jae_1833
9/30/08 11:43:53PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

American News.............All they care about is pointless shit

BOOOO!!!!! Horrible post!!!!!!!