Article " The Lasting Effects of a Knockout"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Article " The Lasting Effects of a Knockout"
Cobbs666
4/19/07 4:09:21PM
I’ve been thinking about the lasting effects of taking a big KO. Now I’m not talking about medical conditions like post concussion syndrome (more on that later). I’m talking about the mental aspect of being knocked out. We’ve all heard how when you fall off a horse, you have to get right back on so you do not develop any fear.

Link
Rush
4/19/07 4:42:40PM
Not a bad article. Though, the author needs to understand the difference between a KO (being hit on the jaw) and a concussion.

If you get knocked out by a blow to the chin, you generally don't suffer from brain damage (as far as I know) unless you hit your head on the way down. Chin knockouts are caused by neural overload. I've almost been knocked out from getting hit on my body parts (arms, legs) that contain nerves.

Also, knockouts caused by momentary loss of oxygen to the brain are not the same as concussions either.

Getting knocked out from blows to the head could conceivably cause you to be more susceptible to KOs (to the head), but not from getting banged on the chin.

As for the mental aspect. I agree that fearless fighters are more dangerous than ones that are fearful. However, I would think that most/all professional fighters (at least experienced ones) are aware of how good their 'chin' is and thus not have the same fear as someone that doesn't know if they can take a punch....

However, the mental aspect is totally debatable.
hippysmacker
4/19/07 4:59:24PM
Good article , thanks. ALso, I have to agree with Rushes post. I think fighting is 90% mental, and ofthen the fighter just can't overcome a devasting loss or KO. Confidence is key IMO
richieb19
4/19/07 5:11:19PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Good article , thanks. ALso, I have to agree with Rushes post. I think fighting is 90% mental, and ofthen the fighter just can't overcome a devasting loss or KO. Confidence is key IMO

The mental game plays much more of a factor than people think... why is it that Randleman can explose on cue at any given time but some fighters look like theyre telegraphing it from a mile away? It's a mental block, everyone has it to a certain extent and it prevents people from doing alot of things in combat situations (not just exploding either), and the same goes for offensive and defensive situations...

Quoted from my favotire "b" movie, the 13th warrior:

"Fear profits man nothing"
methodman_90
4/19/07 5:13:33PM
Nice article. Some people can overcome KO's better than others. Just look Rich Franklin after his KO loss to Silva, he bounced back pretty impressively when he fought MacDonald(eventhough he was ill against silva). And if you look at someone like Rampage when he lost against Wanderlei Silva by devastating KO, alot of people say he hasn't been the same ever since so I just think it depends on how detirmined you are to bounce back.