Arona Vs Gonzaga?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Arona Vs Gonzaga?
LHK
7/20/07 8:03:48PM
Gonzaga Vs Arona ADCC

interesting video.

Who would take it? Gonzaga's got weight advantage but it doesn't look like he will dominate on the ground. Arona is a lot quicker and has some nasty low kicks. I don't like either guy, but I'd like to see this matchup.

LHK
7/22/07 3:04:53AM
Damn 30 views and no one has any thoughts on this? A BJJ expert maybe?
Aether
7/22/07 4:39:20AM
honestly straight jiu jitsu and MMA are completely different ballgames. Arona might be a *slightly* better BJJ practitioner, but it's not like he was able to sub GG either, and when you're getting punched in the face by someone much larger than you with better striking it becomes a whole lot more difficult. I'd take Gonzaga in an MMA match.
fullerene
7/22/07 2:17:46PM
I was going to say "Arona in BJJ" and "Gonzaga in MMA", but this video makes me wonder. Gonzaga jumped guard right away and kept it closed for most of the fight...that's going to be even worse for him in MMA.

Arona is a tough matchup for anyone as shown by giving Fedor probably his most compettive match. Arona is very strong and I don't think there is a non-Judo/Wrestling guy--even HWs--who can keep top position on him. Basically Gonzaga and almost eveyone else have an incentive to keep it standing. Whether he could do that or not probably determines the fight.

I'll go 60/40 in favor of Gonzaga if they met today.
LHK
7/22/07 3:34:10PM

Posted by Aether

honestly straight jiu jitsu and MMA are completely different ballgames. Arona might be a *slightly* better BJJ practitioner, but it's not like he was able to sub GG either, and when you're getting punched in the face by someone much larger than you with better striking it becomes a whole lot more difficult. I'd take Gonzaga in an MMA match.

And Arona wouldn't strike? Arona's striking is a LOT better. Crisper, faster. I think it's about even, but I gotta give Arona the edge based on speed alone. And I think his JJ is consideribly better, not just slightly. GG is just so huge I think it skews perception to favor him. Just look at Couture Sylvia (bad example, but same idea).
ncordless
7/22/07 5:12:40PM
I have seen this video before, and if anything it just enforces my point that GG would win in an mma match. Arona doesn't finish him in this vid, and he wouldn't be able to in mma. GG can GnP, he can strike, and his BJJ is on the same level as Arona. Arona is strong, and he does have some nifty striking, but not anything thats going to knock someone out.

Arona's best chance is to get top position, and stay there.
Aether
7/22/07 6:15:09PM
How can you say his jiujitsu is considerably better after watching that video? Arona's striking might be more technical, but it's not anywhere close to as dangerous. Effective and technical are two different things. Sherk had more technical striking than the vast majority of lightweights, but if you think his striking is more effective than more unorthodox strikers like BJ Penn and Franca, you're crazy. The technical aspect only takes you so far if you can't knock anyone out with it.

I have a hard time seeing Arona winning over Gonzaga. The only way it would happen is by LnP, and I think Gonzaga would only need to gain dominant position once to pound Arona out. Gonzaga would be dangerous to Arona from many positions, Arona is essentially only dangerous to Gonzaga from one position, and given GGs sub defense, he's really not even very dangerous from that position, other than in a judge's eyes.
richieb19
7/22/07 6:33:03PM

Posted by Aether

Arona's BJJ is a little more than *slightly* better. He is 13-0 in ADCC, while Napao is 4-2. Also he has much better strikng and is much stronger. Arona would most likely destroy Napao, even at Heavyweight.
masodd
7/22/07 7:20:49PM
gonzaga by head kick just like he did to cro cop haha
TOMMYAYO05
7/23/07 1:30:27AM
Arona