Arlovski Vs Werdum, what do you think?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Arlovski Vs Werdum, what do you think?
Next Page »
chop-socky-flix
3/8/07 8:41:09AM
Werdum has a pretty good record by the looks of things, i cant remember seeing his fight with nog but will have to dig it out of the collection to make a judgement on him. However anyone who can hang with nog for the distance must be tough.

Arlovski has the power but does he have the confidence. He seems the sort of fighter who looks great against the correct opposition. Is werdum going to fit into his fight though?

I think werdum may just do it looking at it on paper. But arlovski can finish but will he fight? I watched his last 2 matches with silvia but those werent really fights, were they?
waylon_o
3/8/07 9:27:49AM
This has the potential to be the fight of the night.
cowcatcher
3/8/07 9:32:17AM
great matchup, both are good strikers with AA being a little better, but werdum has a distinct advantage on the ground, tough call with AA's handspeed but i am leaning towards werdum to win. i have to agree with the above post, this has a great shot at the fight of the night. it'll be nice to have 2 top 10 HWs in the octagon without a title on the line, the division is getting deeper with every passing event
Stickan
3/8/07 10:23:59AM
Good match-up. I think Werdum takes it by sub.
AchillesHeel
3/8/07 11:04:15AM

Posted by waylon_o

No disrespect to Gonzaga or Cro Cop, but Werdum-Arlovski and Griffin-Machida are the fights I'm looking forward to. I expect Werdum to surprise the heck out of a lot of UFC fans. Hopefully, Arlovski is renting some PRIDE DVDs...
waylon_o
3/8/07 11:06:32AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by waylon_o

No disrespect to Gonzaga or Cro Cop, but Werdum-Arlovski and Griffin-Machida are the fights I'm looking forward to. I expect Werdum to surprise the heck out of a lot of UFC fans. Hopefully, Arlovski is renting some PRIDE DVDs...

I feel ya man...at least Werdum-Arlovski and Griffin-Machida may be competitive. I believe everyone knows what's going to happen to Gonzaga, there's no real mystery there (although anything can happen). I have a feeling Machida may beat the piss out of Griffin too, but I still want to see it.
pv3Hpv3p
3/8/07 11:13:09AM
Definition of a good style matchup...

I am a big Arlovski fan, so I am pulling for him to get the (T)KO, but I won't count Werdum out. The guys got sick subs and is a little bigger that Andrei (I think)...

After all the talk I've heard of AA not really being that great a fighter because he hasn't faced top competition, this is his opportunity to show what he's really got.

IMO, Griffen / Machida will steal the show that night
waylon_o
3/8/07 11:16:08AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I am a big Arlovski fan, so I am pulling for him to get the (T)KO, but I won't count Werdum out. The guys got sick subs and is a little bigger that Andrei (I think)...

After all the talk I've heard of AA not really being that great a fighter because he hasn't faced top competition, this is his opportunity to show what he's really got.

I think Machida will win...what do you think?
CDW
3/8/07 1:20:32PM
I'ts going te be the fight of the night! I think Werdum will takes it with a submission!
loller90278
3/8/07 1:52:01PM
from a pride nuthugger: this is a nice ufc card! probably the best card they have had in a loooooooooooooong time.

my picks are

werdum
machida
crocop

most technical battle i think will be arlovski - werdum if it goes to the ground (hopefully arlovski wont win by a flash ko early in the fight..)
machida vs griffin will probably be the most entertaining fight via slugfest
and crocop sends gonzaga to cemetary via lhk
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/8/07 2:30:23PM
AA is a key example of someone with all the physical gifts to be a champion, but doesnt use all his weapons to his advantage.

Example: Tim Sylvia-Instead of staying in Tim's range and get counterpunched to the cows come home, why didnt he try: any takedowns, Leg kicks, Clinching, dirty boxing, knees etc. No he just kept coming in with that same 1,2 straight that was exactly in Tims range and lost that fight.

Werdum on the other hand IMO is much more intelligent and executes a gameplan. His fight againts AE was prime example of how you would dismantle a striker.

IMO AA has the physical gifts and abilities to beat Werdum but will he use those gifts?

Im calling Werdum by GnP

heres the Werdum Aleks fight :link
waylon_o
3/8/07 2:33:49PM
Well I like both fighters. AA has all the potential in the world...I hope after the losses to Tim he can realize what he was doing wrong and become an AA like we've never seen. Either that, or it's crash and burn for Arlovski.
count0break
3/8/07 4:17:14PM
Arlovski if he can regain some of the confidence he seems to have lost
Berti
3/8/07 4:19:59PM
werdum by sheer domination...sub..rd. 1
wkm311
3/8/07 4:55:38PM

Posted by Berti

werdum by sheer domination...sub..rd. 1

I think it will be closer than that, I think we will see how good Arlovski really is in this fight. He faces off against one of the better Pride heavyweights, and I think it will bring the best out in him. Having said that, I think Werdum is going to take it, because of his advantage on the ground.
FBD
3/8/07 5:01:50PM
i see an ass beating to come in the future
pv3Hpv3p
3/8/07 5:07:03PM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I think Machida will win...what do you think?

Machida's my man... I got to go with him... I don't think Forrest can offer him anything that he hasn't seen and Griffen can't handle his handspeed and 'weird' (for lack of better terms) striking style...

With all that being said, I don't think Forrest is one to dwell on a loss, he will come back hungry and motivated... It'll be a great fight.
Infused
3/8/07 5:51:22PM
I'm thinking Werdum has got it. He took Big Nog to a decision, and thats pretty damn impressive.

I also think Machida is goign to beat Forrest.

loller90278
3/8/07 8:23:59PM
i also think werdum could have squeeked out that decision against big nog
Broknmunky
3/9/07 3:53:11PM
AA by KO!
Svartorm
3/10/07 3:25:47AM
Right now I've got this as Werdum via Un. Decision, although I haven't done too much critical thinking on it yet. AA has the edge in stand-up, but not by too much, and Werdum is quick for his size as well. On the ground I think this is a no-brainer. If AA comes in with very sharp boxing skills and keeps out of Werdums guard, I think he can batter Werdum enough to get a decision or maybe even a (T)KO. Otherwise I can't see Werdum losing this one.
Northrend
3/10/07 3:51:24AM

Posted by Svartorm

Right now I've got this as Werdum via Un. Decision, although I haven't done too much critical thinking on it yet. AA has the edge in stand-up, but not by too much, and Werdum is quick for his size as well. On the ground I think this is a no-brainer. If AA comes in with very sharp boxing skills and keeps out of Werdums guard, I think he can batter Werdum enough to get a decision or maybe even a (T)KO. Otherwise I can't see Werdum losing this one.

I agree that AA has got the better standup, but I think that Werdum can still TKO/KO him on the feet. AA's chin isn't very good and Werdum can land shots. He might just rock AA on feet then get quick TD and go for sub as AA is recovering.
Broknmunky
3/10/07 8:47:25AM
I think AA's striking is much better and his movement on the feet. He also has great TD def. AA has subs. too but Werdum is definitely superior in that area. AA's chin is a ? though!
Dadaman
3/10/07 2:49:30PM
Ive been waiting for this matchup for ages now! A year ago if you would have told me that Werdum and Arlovski were fighting i'd tell you to go **** yourself.

This is a real prize for the fans of the sport. Not only do we see two top tens fighting, but the fight is going to be free on television!

We can finally see where Arlovski stands in terms of the heavyweight division. We can measure him against someone who took Nogueira the distance.
Jamie98s
3/10/07 2:52:47PM
I thought they would give AA a couple of more easy matches before throwing him a tough opponent
roman
3/10/07 3:22:07PM

Posted by Stickan

Good match-up. I think Werdum takes it by sub.

Me too. But it will be a great fight. Arlovski has a great chance to KO him but I think it will be taken to the ground and won there by the awesomely talented Submissionist Fabricio Werdum.
roman
3/10/07 3:29:58PM

Posted by Jamie98s

I thought they would give AA a couple of more easy matches before throwing him a tough opponent

Not with all the badass heavyweights they now have. Although I do agree he should get an easier match........ like Herring or O'brien.
TheArchitect
3/10/07 4:00:34PM
gonna be a hell of a fight
Sprinz3k
3/12/07 12:39:40AM
I like both fighters in this match. But i would have to say Werdum is more wellrounded. I also think coming from Cro cop's camp I dont think Arlovski will show him anything he hasnt seen standing. I have the slight edge going to Werdum Arlovski has a punchers chance in this fight so u never know. Also I wanted to say that if Werdum wins what will happen do you think he will fight Cro Cop?

Sprinz3k
randyleprechaun
3/17/07 5:06:25PM
The following is taken from extremeprosports.com!

'after a submission loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, a match that he was clearly winning before hitting the canvas with the Brazilian, Mirko Cro Cop severed ties with then grappling coach Mike Bencic and began training with Brazilian Jiu- Jitsu Black Belt, Fabricio Werdum. Since then, his ground game has clearly improved ten-fold.'

No doubt Werdums stand-up has improved significantly aswell! I think hes gonna be a top-contender in the division, but i still dont see the UFCs strategy in giving him Arlovski in his debut fight!

Pages: [1] 2