Arlovski set to move into boxing after fight with Fedor

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Arlovski set to move into boxing after fight with Fedor
Wolfenstein
1/23/09 5:06:49PM
According to trainer Freddie Roach, Andrei Arlovski will move into boxing following his match-up with Fedor Emelianenko at the Affliction: Day of Reckoning PPV. Roach already knows who he wants Arlovski to face.

“Andrei’s going into boxing after this,” said Roach. “After we knockout Fedor, I’d like for him to challenge for the heavyweight championship against (WBA heavyweight champion Nikolay) Valuev.”

link
Solidus
1/23/09 5:20:59PM
Booo
decken
1/23/09 5:23:00PM
This is the very reason Arlovski is going to lose. For the last time Roach BOXING IS NOT MMA!!!!!!!!!!. There is a huge difference between striking in boxing and mma.

WAR FEDOR:
Darnok
1/23/09 5:38:11PM

Posted by decken

This is the very reason Arlovski is going to lose.

As soon as I read the title this is the exact same thing I said.

Can roach get any stupider. Sometimes I think he is just playing possum.
Jackelope
1/23/09 5:57:07PM
Are you kidding me? You want to move out of the foremost division (in terms of what people want to watch) in the fastest growing sport when you're a top 10 contender? What the @#$ happens if he wins, anyway? Is WAMMA left with the belt undefended for months at a time while Arlovski goes and plays in the severe mediocrity that is Boxing's heavyweight division?

I am a boxing fan, but the heavyweight division in boxing right now is a joke. Stupid move, IMO.
Rollins
1/23/09 6:03:20PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by decken

This is the very reason Arlovski is going to lose.

As soon as I read the title this is the exact same thing I said.

Can roach get any stupider. Sometimes I think he is just playing possum.

Trust me, he's playing dumb.
HumanTarget
1/23/09 6:37:07PM
Don't worry. After Arlovski loses in boxing he'll be back in the sport he belongs. Wouldn't be surprised if he fired Roach.
RampageOwnedYou
1/23/09 6:44:27PM
I think Roach, has been smoking too many ROACHES. This guy shouldn't be in MMA for this very reason. All he will do is ruin Andrei's career, and everything he stood for in the sport.

McBee
1/23/09 6:45:27PM

Posted by decken

This is the very reason Arlovski is going to lose. For the last time Roach BOXING IS NOT MMA!!!!!!!!!!. There is a huge difference between striking in boxing and mma.

WAR FEDOR:

It still excites me though, from one of the earlier articles today, Roach is thinking outside the box, no pun intended, with training Arlovski by integrating his punches with kicks to diversify and possibly brings some pretty slick combos, or it was the worst decision Arlovski ever had.
Ordep
1/23/09 8:00:31PM
Simple......fighters are employees and they'll go to work with the employer that gives them more $$$$. I've alway said this, that's why it make me laugh every time there's a statement like " ...being here because here is the place to be, where the best and bla bla bla...." BS!" it is all about $$$, period. They have families to feed like many of us.
Jackelope
1/23/09 8:06:56PM

Posted by Ordep

Simple......fighters are employees and they'll go to work with the employer that gives them more $$$$. I've alway said this, that's why it make me laugh every time there's a statement like " ...being here because here is the place to be, where the best and bla bla bla...." BS!" it is all about $$$, period. They have families to feed like many of us.

Arlovski is single w/o a family and he's getting paid ridiculous amounts of cash (more than he will on a boxing undercard)
Ordep
1/23/09 8:59:51PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Ordep

Arlovski is single w/o a family and he's getting paid ridiculous amounts of cash (more than he will on a boxing undercard)

You know what I mean by "family to feed", and if Arlovski will make more $ in MMA, then he'll not go (i.e. more BS from Freddie Roach).
bls1919
1/23/09 9:23:42PM
What if he beats Fedor..........he'll go to boxing? BULLSHIT! AA needs to focus on the Wamma belt now and then back to the big show and take out MIr or Lesnar or whoever is champ at the time. I really think AA will grace the UFC octagon again before his career is over
Jackelope
1/23/09 9:29:41PM

Posted by Ordep

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Ordep

You know what I mean by "family to feed", and if Arlovski will make more $ in MMA, then he'll not go (i.e. more BS from Freddie Roach).

Well that I can agree with, but him moving to boxing regardless of where the money is at is a stupid move IMO. Especially if day one of his boxing career begins with the HW champion. Boxing is such a different sport that it will take years to reach the levels he needs to.

Although admittedly I would love to watch him box one of the Klitschko bros
Metafour
1/24/09 12:04:38AM
I think its a bad sign that he is planning to move to boxing after this fight... Seems like there isn't a whole lot of confidence in Arlovski's camp.
EliasG
1/24/09 2:09:33AM
This discussion has been talked about before but honestly, if Roach COULD get AA a big boxing match, say with Valuev in Germany or Moscow, but preferably Germany he could make several million Euro. That is significantly more than what he makes anywhere else. And if he wins? Wow. Then it is a Klitschko v AA fight. How many people would watch that? I mean MOST MMA guys I know would watch it because the ones that acutally fight are fans of boxing and the ones that aren't and think boxing sucks balls, will swear AA will beat Klitschko...which could happen. Interesting.

EvenFlow
1/24/09 2:19:32AM
I dont understand, one would think if you beat the best you keep fighting as the best to keep proving it, as done by Fedor. I'm not against the boxing move but I cant understand the reason other than publicity, money or just a change of heart to a different sport. I kinda hope he mulls this move to boxing win or lose or at least he comes back, If he loses by submission than that dosnt hurt his boxing cred but if he wins by stoppage (and lets hope theres no cuts) it does and that might be his angle to propel him into boxing what with Golden Boy in with Affliction, well we'll see tomorrow. Cannot wait to see it.
Red-Dragon
1/24/09 6:12:07AM
Despite the fact that Valuev and the rest of the boxing HW division are avarage at best right now. AA would get owned IMO. Boxers should stick to boxing and MMArtists should stick to MMA. I would watch it though, just out of curiosity.

Oh well, it will all be acedemic after tonight when AA goes to sleep in rd2.
bls1919
1/25/09 12:12:16AM
SPOILER!!!!!!!!! with his chin he should forget boxing.
EliasG
1/25/09 12:16:45AM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Despite the fact that Valuev and the rest of the boxing HW division are avarage at best right now. AA would get owned IMO. Boxers should stick to boxing and MMArtists should stick to MMA. I would watch it though, just out of curiosity.

Oh well, it will all be acedemic after tonight when AA goes to sleep in rd2.

I have to say...that was a pretty close prediction. I was shocked by that counter. His poker face is so good and he's so relaxed in there that you never know what's going on with him. AA thought HE'S HURT and the next second...game over. Crazy.
EvenFlow
1/25/09 12:53:20AM
I feel really bad for Andrei even though I saw him getting tooled, I thought it would play out like that except Fedor gets him down, 1st round armbar, but that was amazing. I'm not one of those who think Andrei's chin is weak, I think he gets himself into bad spots to get hit ala Sylvia and Fedor, as for his early career he is a different fighter now from then. I hope he returns to MMA like he should and back to the UFC, I still say Andrei knocks out Barney but Fedor vs Barney I guess...