Arlovski’s Next Fight On Hold Pending Contract Negotiations

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Arlovski’s Next Fight On Hold Pending Contract Negotiations
komodo20
8/29/07 1:12:21PM
ufcdaily.com said According to Steve Seivert of Brawl Sports former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski may not be fighting anytime soon due to ongoing contract negotiations with the UFC.
bigpetey22
8/29/07 1:36:15PM
Arlovski better sign fast before I kick his ass! He finally has a chance to show what he can do against some better competition. If he leaves then he will never gain any respect from anyone.
lemandp
8/29/07 1:36:43PM
I think they could lose him. This guy was handled by Sylvia twice. I think Mark Hunt and Josh Barnett are both better fighters then Arlovski, not to mention Fedor of course. Sign those 3 before you re-sign this guy.
ocho-cinco
8/29/07 1:41:16PM
I like to think that they will re-sign him too. However if they don't it wouldn't be the end of the world for the UFC, but I think it's a big mistake. Arlovski still has alot to offer, and even though he hasn't been impressive in his last few outings the UFC should show him more respect. He has been awsome for them in the past and they should recognize that. There are a bunch of fights that involve AA that I would love to see.
rcg916
8/29/07 1:59:28PM
Andrei who?

lemandp
8/29/07 2:00:47PM
I agree, but I'd rather have them sign Fedor, Hunt and Barnett. Hunt is currently walking around at 275, he could make weight easily. He said he wanted to fight in the UFC and not K-1 again, due to a falling out he had when he left for PRIDE. So why the .... isn't this guy signed??? Barnett deserves a rematch with Randy, and Fedor is Fedor, the best, period.
Twenty20Dollars
8/29/07 2:06:05PM
Shit they just need to resign andrei, i mean i think it was kinda dana's fault you know, saying if you win you get a title shot, so just doing anything to win, just the same for matt hughes and rich franklin.

Need to resign andrei, sign barnett, sign fedor and then this division is crazy with fights.
loonytnt
8/29/07 2:17:53PM
arlovski need to sign with somewhere else if UFC doesnt pay him, UFC if makin a lot more money and tey need to take care of there fighters,AA is a good fighter would be stupid for UFC to loss him
ppwwpp
8/29/07 2:20:42PM
The UFC would be CRAZY to let Arlovski go, he's only 28! Sure his past four fights haven't been all that great, but we've all seen what andrei's capable of and i dont understand how one would even think of letting that go. Fedor is the only heavyweight who'd i'd have more interest in signing before resigning Andrei. Hunt and Barnet? The pittbull could destroy them both and he has the power to knockout Fedor (Not saying he would cause...well its Fedor). Letting Arlovski go would be a HUGE mistake!!!!!!
lemandp
8/29/07 2:21:00PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Shit they just need to resign andrei, i mean i think it was kinda dana's fault you know, saying if you win you get a title shot, so just doing anything to win, just the same for matt hughes and rich franklin.

Need to resign andrei, sign barnett, sign fedor and then this division is crazy with fights.

What about Mark Hunt?? He beat Wanderlei and CC, and gave Fedor his toughest fight in the brief time it lasted. Would Tim Sylvia or Randy Couture beat Hunt?? lol I think not.
Signal2112
8/29/07 2:22:33PM
I would like to see Andrei resign with the UFC and get his fire back. I know he hasn't looked impressive in a while, but if you think back to what he was like a couple of years ago, I think he could easily get that form back. I still rate him as a very talented fighter, because we've seen how good he is at times.

And I don't think Sylvia could do anything to beat Hunt, and Randy would have to seriously outwrestle him to win. I'd still rather see Hunt in K-1 though.
cmill21
8/29/07 2:24:00PM

Posted by loonytnt

arlovski need to sign with somewhere else if UFC doesnt pay him, UFC if makin a lot more money and tey need to take care of there fighters,AA is a good fighter would be stupid for UFC to loss him

He's 2-2 in his last 4 fights, coulden't take Werdum out on his feet.... Was soundly beaten by big tim twice, not quite sure why it would be a mistake for the UFC not to sign him. He's a gatekeeper, a stepping stone for everyone else, theres the tip top guys, the middle guys, and the cans, he's a middle guy.
juanez13
8/29/07 2:30:17PM
i agree that they shoudl sign fedor and josh barnnet first...but arlovski is still a top heavyweight, and i see no reson not to re-sign him....

but whats with all the people saying the UFC should sign mark hunt, he has to cut down to 265, and i dont think he will be able to do that anymore....he is weighing about 290, but no question about it that if he could make the cut, i would love to see him...
puppetmaster837
8/29/07 2:57:18PM
He is 2-2 in his last 4 fights and who cares if 3 of them were against top 10 heavyweights, come on, thats ridiculous. Marcio Cruz was the only not top 10 in his last 4 and he knocked him out. Out of all the heavyweights right now he is actually probably one of the most valuable because of his age and he hasnt had that many fights. Couture, even though he is doing great he wont last that much longer. Nog has been in some wars and wasnt that impressive against Herring, who knows how much longer he has before his body says enough. I remember a while ago reading that Cro Cop doesnt plan on fighting that much longer. So why would you let go of a young, fresh, and incredibly talented fighter?
cmill21
8/29/07 3:01:21PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

He is 2-2 in his last 4 fights and who cares if 3 of them were against top 10 heavyweights, come on, thats ridiculous. Marcio Cruz was the only not top 10 in his last 4 and he knocked him out. Out of all the heavyweights right now he is actually probably one of the most valuable because of his age and he hasnt had that many fights. Couture, even though he is doing great he wont last that much longer. Nog has been in some wars and wasnt that impressive against Herring, who knows how much longer he has before his body says enough. I remember a while ago reading that Cro Cop doesnt plan on fighting that much longer. So why would you let go of a young, fresh, and incredibly talented fighter?

And of his last 10 how many top 10's has he fought? 4, if you count werdum, if you don't he's fought 3 fights with top 10's and guess what all of those are TIM! He's IMHO beat 1 top 10 and beat him, and thats still up for debate since big tim could be on his way out to. So in his career he's beat 1 top 10, thats umm...not very good.
puppetmaster837
8/29/07 3:08:52PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by puppetmaster837

And of his last 10 how many top 10's has he fought? 4, if you count werdum, if you don't he's fought 3 fights with top 10's and guess what all of those are TIM! He's IMHO beat 1 top 10 and beat him, and thats still up for debate since big tim could be on his way out to. So in his career he's beat 1 top 10, thats umm...not very good.

He has beat 1 top 10 in a career that hasnt been that long. Like i said, he is only 28 and hasn't had that many fights, there is room for improvement but he is young and has time to improve. If the UFC keeps him, especially now with the added skill in the division, he could become great.
silverbullet
8/29/07 3:21:54PM
The sad thing is, Arlovski could probably handle Couture. I'm glad that Dana never lets us forget that UFC is nothing more than a beauty contest.

I'm back to waiting until Serra vs. Hughes "title" fight, although everybody knows that Koscheck could handle them both in the same single night, and Koscheck isn't even #1 in the division (we all know who is).

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to say that Arlosvki is losing the popularity contest due to his accent, not fighting skills.
silverbullet
8/29/07 3:31:51PM
Just to prove the point. Hughes got KTFOed by GSP, I mean completely obliterated. He gets a relatively easy fight against Chris Lytle (a TUFer, go figure!) that he grinds to a decision, not exactly a breath taker. Hughes is then rewarded with his own TV show, and a title shot!

Arlovski gets KTFOed and loses his title to Sylvia, and gets an immediate title shot. He goes into a stand up war with Sylvia and loses a decision. Then he wins two fights, one by KO and another by decision against Werdum who is arguably a top 10 HW. And now they are kicking him out of UFC?

Two words, beauty contest!

EDIT sorry for a double post
hotrodttt
8/29/07 3:56:25PM
Yeah Arlovski needs to sign , he probably wants Randy Couture money
JWils
8/29/07 4:02:12PM

Posted by silverbullet

Just to prove the point. Hughes got KTFOed by GSP, I mean completely obliterated. He gets a relatively easy fight against Chris Lytle (a TUFer, go figure!) that he grinds to a decision, not exactly a breath taker. Hughes is then rewarded with his own TV show, and a title shot!

Arlovski gets KTFOed and loses his title to Sylvia, and gets an immediate title shot. He goes into a stand up war with Sylvia and loses a decision. Then he wins two fights, one by KO and another by decision against Werdum who is arguably a top 10 HW. And now they are kicking him out of UFC?

Two words, beauty contest!

EDIT sorry for a double post

Kicking him out???? It's a negotiation. He's not being released or cut from the organization. If they reach an agreement he'll stay if they don't he'll walk and find somewhere else to fight. He has a choice.

Another thing, Hughes lost the title and won his next fight by UD, then was awarded a title shot. GSP lost his title and won his next fight by UD and will be awarded a title shot. Sounds pretty equal to me. Not to be bias, Kos would probably beat Lytle. I doubt he would destroy him though.
lemandp
8/29/07 5:52:40PM
LOL did somebody say Arlovski would KO Mark Hunt and Barnett??? Ummm no, Arlovski got destroyed by Rizzo and Sylvia standing, but now he's going to take out Mark Hunt??

Barnett would own Arlovski, come on, that's not even fair.

As for Mark Hunt, he walks around at 275 right now, and would make 265 easily, he also said he wants to fight in the UFC and enjoys the USA. So let's bring him in.
Jackelope
8/29/07 6:09:43PM
Not having Arlovski around is definitely a big mistake. Forget Hunt, Barnett, etc. etc. there is plenty of room for those guys and Arlovski in the HW division. Now that UFC is the cream of the crop you should have 10 of the top 10s in it.

Who do they really have in HW right now that is a true competitor?

In no particular order-
1. Couture -retiring within the next couple of years
2. Crocop- retiring within the next couple of years
3. Sylvia- his body is probably going to make him retire in the next couple of years
4. Vera
5. Gonzaga
6. Nog- retiring within the next couple of years

So you've got some really skilled guys, but half of them are going to be leaving the sport within a few fights from now. Arlovski's got a lot of fight left within him, and yeah most of the guys on that list up there could dominate him, but what about 2 or 3 years from now??

sakurabaforever
8/29/07 6:47:24PM

Posted by cmill21

What? He beat Werdum (however boring, he still beat him, Werdum sure as hell didn't deserve the win). And Vlady gets no love? The guy is a monster. Maybe not top 10, but a much better win then GGs and Tim's wins.

And Arlovski in werewolf mode is pretty damn badass, when he lets it fly he has a great chance against any top HW. Too bad he's been tentative lately.

Josh3239
8/29/07 7:13:06PM
I would consider it a huge mistake. Arlovski's age is definetly a cherry on top, he will be in the fight game for a long time.

Arlovski is an absolute animal when he is on. Keep in mind that Barnett, Fedor, Nogeira, Randy Couture, and Gonzaga are ground fighters. Some to a certain degree but the truth is that the ground is their bread and butter. Gonzaga, Barnett, Nogeira, and Fedor generally finish their fights on the ground with a submission and Couture generally finishes with ground and pound (or a decision).

Arlovski is one of the top strikers in the HW divison. I think its safe to say that we are all sick of Tim Sylvia. Who is left besides Cro Cop? Sure Randy is improved and Gonzaga has shown that he has a pretty good high kick but the truth is Randy is a wrestler and Gonzaga is a BJJ guy. I say keep Arlovski, he is a top striker in the HW division, just be patient with him. He is slowly climbing his way to the top.
puppettamer
8/29/07 7:36:27PM
re sign him and pit him against herring and ill be damn happy!
Jackelope
8/30/07 2:08:39AM
Herring would be a good fight.. since he's so damned tough
mikorules
8/30/07 6:35:56AM
they say that josh barnett might be signing with the UFC because he wants to fight randy and not even for the title just to fight him which would be awesome i think arlovski is a decent fighter but if he gets beaten by tim sylvia there is no way he could beat josh, randy, mark hunt or fedor. to be honest i dont think he would be able to win anymore fights if he keeps fighting the way he does so i think they should tell him that they will think about it or tell him to fight one more time and if he does well then they'll give him a slight raise or something like that.
my own opinion i could have it so dont give me shit biatch
mkiv9secsupra
8/30/07 6:53:28AM

Posted by puppettamer

re sign him and pit him against herring and ill be damn happy!

resign him and put him against Nogueira
Leland
8/30/07 3:40:27PM
IMO if they resign AA, he will come back huge! You know he hears they are thinking about signing him, hes going to have to prove himself. He would have had a title shot if he would have exploded at UFC 70. I think he will be resigned, they can't afford to lose him, he still sells out crowds. I pay everytime to see AA :)
keith-hackney1
8/31/07 12:43:29PM
AA vs nog !!!