Arlovski's next fight: The deal breaker

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Arlovski's next fight: The deal breaker
POLL: What's next for Arlovski?
He wins and gets the contract he wants 42% (30)
He wins but leaves due to Dana's stubbornness. 39% (28)
He loses and concedes to the UFC's demands 0% (0)
He loses and leaves because he doesn't get the contract he wants 18% (13)
jiujitsufreak74
2/9/08 9:26:37PM
this fight will make or break AA's negotiations with the UFC. i don't know if i am the only one, but i think o'brien has a real legitimate chance of beating AA with his patented LnP. i can very easily see this becoming a boring 3 round decision for o'brien and AA coming out with a loss. i think the UFC knows the danger of fighting o'brien and are probably using this fight to give AA less ammunition in negotiations. however, like most of the UFC's plans with fighters this can backfire with AA scoring a a quick KO or submission. if he puts on a great performance then AA gets the leverage that they planned to get for themselves. the outcome of this fight is very important. because of its importance i want to see the fight, but i am assuming the UFC doesn't want to take any chances of AA being impressive making the fans want more of him because that would also hurt their negotiations. this whole situation is very political and the ball is in AA's court to do something with this opportunity.

Now, if AA wins the fight, what do you think will happen? will he use the fight as leverage to get a better contract an we will see him in the UFC?

What if he loses? What will happen next as the UFC doesn't budge on the negotiations?

How likely is it that he and the UFC will come to an agreement regardless of the outcome?

i feel that if he loses he will leave because he will not accept the contract the UFC will offer. if he wins, it is up to dana white to make a better contract which i think he has to do despite the fight not being shown on PPV otherwise AA will leave. this whole situation is very tricky and i can only hope that AA gets to stay regardless of the outcome.

(personally i have o'brien winning this fight, but thats for another time)
BlazinSaddle
2/9/08 9:32:32PM
i'd put up real money on arlovski in this fight im that confident hes gonna run thru o'brian, dont know if he wants to re-sign if dana is giving a guy he beat a title shot before him tho, no way dana thinks werdum should be before arlovski a chimp could figure this out, especially promising him a title shot after that fight and now that sylvia lost he can pursue the belt again

maybe this is just danas way of motivating arlovski to get a quick win to give him a shot, you sly fox dana
Pookie
2/9/08 10:11:15PM
i think ive stated this before but...

I see arlovski leaving the ufc regardless of what happens in the fight. I believe they stalled him for so long in an attempt to get him to re-sign, he didnt & now the contract is about to expire so they give him his last fight.
cowcatcher
2/9/08 10:16:11PM

Posted by Pookie

I see arlovski leaving the ufc regardless of what happens in the fight. I believe they stalled him for so long in an attempt to get him to re-sign, he didnt & now the contract is about to expire so they give him his last fight.

i think hes gone no matter what, and im with the TS i think obrien has a real shot at winning this.
jgordon85
2/9/08 10:38:51PM
i hope that arlovski stays with the ufc. i think he is going to come out swinging like he use to looking for the knockout. the only way that jake can win i think is by a boring decison like his past fight. if jake wins i would not want to see any of his matches because they all have the potential to be boring.

GO ARLOVSKI YYYYAAAAAHHHHH
cmill21
2/9/08 10:50:36PM
I think this is a toss up match. I don't see AA resigning with the UFC after this. HDnet's, M-1, WVR, K-1 and elite xc are all possibilities, and I've heard HDnet and M-1 have a good relationship and IMO they could possibly look to set up a match up or two
SmileR
2/10/08 7:30:06AM
I think you got it exactly right. The UFC are using Jakes boring style to either get Arlovski to grind out a decision or lose.
They want another long drawn out fight so they can offer him the same contract or maybe a little more.

I personally can't see him losing mainly because he's a master sport at sambo and could always sub O'brian if he L&P's him for 3 rounds, not to mention AA's been training in submission wrestling and grappling for the past 2 years and is harder to take down than many give him credit for.

But back on track I see your point the UFC given him a fight that they think will be boring rather than a fight for the fans the fans.

If he fights Cro Cop and wins (Just as a example please don't flame) a fight many of the fans want to see.
He could command a similar contract to him and I'v read a few places he's the highest earning HW the UFC have. Where as playing it safe with O'brian and his L&P tactics don't really warrant a massive rase when he wins, or if he loses they could offer him the same contract or less and have the loss to use to their advantage.

Similarly AA could (and i think will) smash O'Brian and show the UFC what he's capable of.
As you said their plan could easily back fire and AA could get the win with one big right. Giving him the perfect chance to sign a new improved contract and get right back into the top 2 contenders.

I hope he does get the contract he wants and the UFC figure out he's a top 5 HW in the world in a devision in the UFC that has 6 or 7 top tier fighters. With out him the HW devision would lose a lot of depth.

I can't see Couture coming back so that only further weakens their HW draw.
With AA and Couture gone the title would stay with Nog or move between him and Sylvia with very few others challenging for it.

I can't see Gonzaga beating Nog or Tim neither can't I see Werdum doing much damage. Brock needs a good few years before he's given a hope of hanging with them. Kongo couldn't beat Tim as Tim has faster hands and an loner reach which Kongo relies on a lot.
The only real threat to the HW title is Tim(again), Cro Cop when he regains his form and Arlovski.

I hope the UFC realize this and give Arlovski the respect and contract he deserves.

(Sorry for the long read but he's my boy!)
jomatty
2/10/08 9:01:41AM
i think this fight is incredibly tough to call and will be very close. that said, i think AA will win by some sort of leglock, at least if i had to pick that is what i would pick. i hope AA wins, just because the ways i see him winning are a lot more exciting then the ways i see obrian winning.

personally i think he is gone. if the ufc intended to keep him around i think they would have kept in the spot light and put him on the main card in a matchup that could be exciting. it may be an elaborate way to aid negotiations but i think it is more likely that they feel they will not be able to sign him at what they want to pay and are done with him. i hope im wrong cause i like AA just fine, but him going to m1 or somewhere else doesnt bother me either.
bls1919
2/10/08 10:21:14AM
i think regardless of what happens he needs to win this fight and win decisively. Either for leverage for a new UFC contract or with another orginization.(lets hope not)
Purge
2/10/08 10:37:20AM
Something tells me he won't leave, he said he's going to try his luck as a free agent, but why would he if he's offered a sweet deal.
Mastodon2
2/10/08 11:00:32AM
He has been stalled for close to a year by UFC trying to chain him down with another contract.Regardless of this fights outcome, I think he will leave. Even if he can ask for more money if he wins, the exclusivity clauses in UFC contracts are just too restrictive, and he will be wary of being stalled again when his next contract is nearly over, so I think he will move to a different organisation.

I hope he wins, I don't like seeing boring LnP fighters winning fights, I hope Arlovski is fired up after being kept out of the cage for so long, I want to see the old, vicious Arlovski back. Are we going to see that? Who knows, we can only hope!
Boo_Radley21
2/10/08 11:39:20AM
I really hope he stays after this fight. But I think he's more likely not to.
gartface
2/10/08 11:41:40AM
Arlovski vs Fedor anyone?
Boo_Radley21
2/10/08 11:46:55AM
I'd rather Arlovski vs Nog for the title.
gartface
2/10/08 11:51:55AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I'd rather Arlovski vs Nog for the title.

Me too, but I have this sneaking suspicion that Arlovski's going back to M-1, or to World Victory Road. I hope I'm wrong.
NatedawgThaM
2/10/08 1:53:43PM
Arlovski is going to lose and then he's going to leave. He does not want to get hit anymore and with his aggressive winning style, it requires you to get hit which is what he does not want. He knows he has a bad chin so he's not willing to take the risk anymore.

Whether you like it or not, Jake O'Brien is who will make this an exciting fight. He's the one doing all the action. He's a wrestler so he's naturally better with take downs with Werdum. So I see Jake getting the takedown and GNPing for 3 rounds, then AA will leave from that embarrassing loss in the Prelims.

I can actually appreciate the art of GNP. I enjoy watching a Tito Ortiz, Kevin Randleman, sometimes Sean Sherk type of fight when they actually strike. I thought the Heath Herring fight was exciting because he kept punching so as long as he can repeat that, it will be a good fight. I just hope he does not do a Rashad Evans and just take him down and control him hips for three rounds.

WAR GNP!!
tylerlee123
2/10/08 2:28:24PM
Arlovski will not lose this fight no matter what this fight kind of reminds me of Liddell vs Silva in the way that if chuck had of lost he would of been in trouble with two dissapointing losses in a row and if arlovski loses he might be out after two lacluster fights so this fight is going to be very intriuging for me
prozacnation1978
2/10/08 4:50:56PM
i see him leaving if he loses now if he comes and knocks him out in the first round i will be intriqued to see what happens, obrien is good but he hasn't fought in a year or so he will have cage rust, wish it was live, but i hope they bust out a deal before the fight happens
Pitbull09
2/10/08 6:05:13PM
I hope AA doesnt leave. He is one of my favorite fighters and it would be ashame for him to fight any place other than the ufc
garrick
2/11/08 9:59:28AM
I hope he wins and stays. I would like to see him come back to his former glory.
DevonFoxy
2/11/08 11:23:37AM
I don't know i could see the LNP come into this fight but it might never get there to be honest. Jake had great take downs but hes coming off a serious back injury and many thought it was going to end his career. I think Jake will be a little tenitive in his takedowns and we will see AA work his stand up for the TKO/KO. I just don't see Jake being able to keep AA down for three rounds.

I think Jakes back is still going to be a problem and AA is still AA.Granted Jake is one heck of a wrestler i still think his back is not 100% no matter what anyone says including Jake himself.
LuketheDuke
2/11/08 4:05:07PM
arlovski needs to win this fight. i cant see obrien winning unless by a boring decision. arlovskis ground game is underrated imo. i think he could possibly pull of a submission if obrien makes a mistake. arlovski is only known for his striking (with the exception of the achilles lock on sylvia) and people tend to underestimate his ground game. this may be a repeat of mir-lesnar. . .
jrmmaclassics
2/11/08 4:23:45PM
Think that AA is in a bind, he needs to go back to his knockout mentality for this fight. With a great performance he will get the chance to become a top heavyweight contender and a better contract. He is still a great draw in the Heavyweight division I think. With a a boring decision or a loss and his stock plummets and he is force to go elsewhere for the type of money that fits his lifestyle. Would hate to see him leave but also do not like to see fighters who play it safe.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
jiujitsufreak74
2/11/08 7:53:47PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

I don't know i could see the LNP come into this fight but it might never get there to be honest. Jake had great take downs but hes coming off a serious back injury and many thought it was going to end his career. I think Jake will be a little tenitive in his takedowns and we will see AA work his stand up for the TKO/KO. I just don't see Jake being able to keep AA down for three rounds.

I think Jakes back is still going to be a problem and AA is still AA.Granted Jake is one heck of a wrestler i still think his back is not 100% no matter what anyone says including Jake himself.

did not even realize anything about his back. i am going to add this into my factors regarding this fight and will now reconsider my pick. if his back is fine then i see him controlling AA, but if he is not healthy than it is hard for me to pick him to win against a top HW.
telnights
2/12/08 1:02:22AM

Posted by Pookie

I don't know why everyone still thinks the UFC was stalling. It was said by AA's own management that the delay had nothing to do with the UFC or contract negotiations it was just due to fighters getting injured.
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 1:06:56AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Pookie

I don't know why everyone still thinks the UFC was stalling. It was said by AA's own management that the delay had nothing to do with the UFC or contract negotiations it was just due to fighters getting injured.

thats why arlovski wasnt fighting? an injury, if so that explains alot right there
sinister_16
4/10/08 9:22:32AM
they need to get old news off of this site