Arlovski

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Arlovski
Next Page »
nubby
4/2/07 3:49:53PM
I know that it's probably old news but I just read a small article that talked about how Andrei Arlovski was injured in the second round of the rubber match between him and Sylvia. Supposedly his leg was screwed up and it prevented him from being able to shoot and try for take downs on Sylvia. Later he was asked why he didn't report it to the UFC and responded by saying he didn't want to make excuses for his loss. After reading that I really want to see this guy fight some top tier fighters to see how good he can be.

Anyone have some thought son this guy?
pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 3:56:08PM
I have heard the same, and it made sense to me... I noticed AA using leg kicks pretty effectively in that fight, and then he just all of the sudden stopped...

I think he actually hurt it during the fight, so I guess there was nothing really to report after the fact...

I think that Werdum will be a great challenge for him... He is arguably a top 10 guy, if not then very close on the fringe... And it should be a good style matchup... So we won't have to wait too long for him to fight some meaningful competition...

As a side comment, I think Andrei has one of the sickest right hands in the business today... I hope he KO's Werdum and we get to see the Arlovski / CroCop matchup everyone wants.
Mastodon2
4/2/07 3:57:26PM
Love him, he is a fantastic fighter, and a really cool guy.

The rubber match was dreadful. Neither Tim nor AA had the confidence to really get stuck in, both were scared of getting KO'd, Arlovski was doing well until his leg went, and it just went to pieces, but it was still a close fight.
cowcatcher
4/2/07 4:01:55PM
well heres the thing, every fighter goes into every fight with some kind of injury, and during a fight there are obviously always going to be injuries whether its just a swollen eye or a joint issue or whatever. as far as arlovski goes i think hes a top tier fighter at HW his hand speed is off the charts for a guy that size and as a sambo guy he obviously can sub people on the ground. i think the big disappointment for so many people when he lost those fights with tim was the fact that people were starting to think of him as invincable which no one is(except maybe fedor, lol). i like werdum in their upcoming fight but that one could be a toss up and very well could be the fight of the night. i hope to see him do well though and like you said, fight more top tier guys.
waylon_o
4/2/07 4:02:17PM
I've said for a long time that Arlovski was one of my favorites...the dude is ripped, like 230 pounds or something and moves like a welterweight. He's one of the fastest heavies out there. I was severely disappointed when he lost to silvia the 2nd time, but I don't see the need to have another fight between them anytime soon.
AchillesHeel
4/2/07 4:42:44PM
I didn't see the 3rd match with Sylvia, and everything I've read about it says I didn't miss anything. I thought he looked good against Cruz, even though that fight was a gift, and I'm looking forward to seeing him against Werdum.

I was actually a little surprised by the matchup with Werdum. I figured the UFC would want to build him up for another title shot, particularly with Cro Cop making a bee-line for the belt.

Dana White has said that the winner of Cro Cop-Gonzaga will get a title shot, which means AA and Werdum will probably have another fight before getting a title shot. Simply put, AA-Werdum is not a "#1 Contender" fight. Putting two top heavyweights in against each other at this stage is pretty ballsy.
FortySixBelow
4/2/07 4:42:52PM
As far as i am concerned i have been disappointed with Arlovski....i think he fought under his potential with the whole Sylvia fiasco...he is indeed human.

I would love to see him live up to his potential especially since the competition will be there to drive him forward.

No longer do you beat a few B level guys and claim the UFC HW title..

Thank god...
mkiv9secsupra
4/2/07 4:54:52PM
i think he is completely underrated...I have been impressed with him since his first win which he won with Guillotine (thats not even a legal choke in sambo competitions). i think he just got too anxious for the ko in the last fight with sylvia. Sylvia never hurt arlovski. You can see him smile once sylvia got off of him. But yeah he is one of my favorite HWs.
randyleprechaun
4/2/07 5:30:12PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I didn't see the 3rd match with Sylvia, and everything I've read about it says I didn't miss anything. I thought he looked good against Cruz, even though that fight was a gift, and I'm looking forward to seeing him against Werdum.

I was actually a little surprised by the matchup with Werdum. I figured the UFC would want to build him up for another title shot, particularly with Cro Cop making a bee-line for the belt.

Dana White has said that the winner of Cro Cop-Gonzaga will get a title shot, which means AA and Werdum will probably have another fight before getting a title shot. Simply put, AA-Werdum is not a "#1 Contender" fight. Putting two top heavyweights in against each other at this stage is pretty ballsy.

I agree man. Ive argued this point before. It makes no sense!

The average UFC fan doesnt know who Fabricio Werdum is, so why put him in against Arlovski. Cro Cop got a can on his debut fight in the UFC, so whats the difference with Werdum?

I dont know what Dana White is doing. I think it'll make a great fight but its happening 6 months prematurely!
Spiderman
4/2/07 5:49:33PM
Imo tied with Frank Mir for the most overated fighter of all time . He is no where near as fast as people claim he is His footwork is very poor , he has slow reflexes is easy to hit and has a glass chin ! He has not shown a good ground game , and he has a poor record . I think most of Arlovski's fans are in love with his Looks and vastly over rate his skills . He has the look a lot of fans want in a heavyweight fighter , lean and muscular , and is real popular with the fans who switched from pro wrestling to mma . Im looking forward to him getting destroyed by Werdum
Spiderman
4/2/07 5:55:15PM

The average UFC fan doesnt know who Fabricio Werdum is, so why put him in against Arlovski. Cro Cop got a can on his debut fight in the UFC, so whats the difference with Werdum?

I dont know what Dana White is doing. I think it'll make a great fight but its happening 6 months prematurely! !

why complain about good fights ? We know Werdum is a better fighter than A.A so why put in him with some cans who are even worse than A.A ? I hate it when the ufc waste time building up a allready established fighter . I could see your point of view if you had a financial stake in Zuffa , but as a fight fan it makes no sense
mkiv9secsupra
4/2/07 6:05:13PM

Posted by Spiderman

why complain about good fights ? We know Werdum is a better fighter than A.A so why put in him with some cans who are even worse than A.A ? I hate it when the ufc waste time building up a allready established fighter . I could see your point of view if you had a finacial stake in Zuffa , but as a fan it makes no sense .

how can u say Werdum is better? He has never been a champion... Its not like AA doesnt have subs he can use, he just likes to keep it standing. AA has lost to champs and beaten them. The only person Werdum has beaten that is even noteworthy is A. Emelianenko
Spiderman
4/2/07 6:13:21PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Spiderman

why complain about good fights ? We know Werdum is a better fighter than A.A so why put in him with some cans who are even worse than A.A ? I hate it when the ufc waste time building up a allready established fighter . I could see your point of view if you had a finacial stake in Zuffa , but as a fan it makes no sense .

how can u say Werdum is better? He has never been a champion... Its not like AA doesnt have subs he can use, he just likes to keep it standing. AA has lost to champs and beaten them. The only person Werdum has beaten that is even noteworthy is A. Emelianenko

beaten Chumps is more like it ! There is no real champion in mma , the orgs all have there own champions , and the orgs own the belts . Im sure someone who Werdum beat was a champion of something .

Werdum has beaten Zentsov [ I know A.A has a win over him[ Similar to the datsik win over A.A ] , but he is a totally differant fighter now since training with Fedor ] Fedor considers Zentsov to be the best russian HW in mma other than himself .

Gonzaga - Has his only loss in mma to Werdum

Einimo - a very good BJJ fighter

Erikson - a 300 lb world champion wreslting gold medalist .

He has a close competitive fight with Sergei

submissin with over Alex .E

But besides all that Werdum could have 0 fights and I would still know he is better than A.A . Arlovski sucks ! He beat a over rated Tim slyvia once and lost to him 2 times . He has lost to all the competent Hw fighters that he has fought . He has no heart and just gives up against decent oppostion .
randyleprechaun
4/2/07 6:14:51PM

Posted by Spiderman

why complain about good fights ? We know Werdum is a better fighter than A.A so why put in him with some cans who are even worse than A.A ? I hate it when the ufc waste time building up a allready established fighter . I could see your point of view if you had a financial stake in Zuffa , but as a fight fan it makes no sense

Did i forget to mention my names Frank Fertitta!

Nah seriously, id like to see a bit of hype coming into the fight for both competitors. Werdums not getting that, all the talk seems to be about Arlovski! Which i think is unfair, considering most educated MMA fans believe Fabricio to be the better fighter!

As i said im sure it'll be a great fight which i see Werdum winning ,but it makes no sense in happening just now.
nubby
4/2/07 6:19:44PM
I think it's good timing because it will test Arlovski out before he gets to big for his britches. If he can pull of the win then he will get a chance at the belt after Filipovic, but if he loses then he can fade away before too much time and money is invested in his build up.
xthe_scottx
4/2/07 7:08:05PM

Posted by Spiderman

Imo tied with Frank Mir for the most overated fighter of all time . He is no where near as fast as people claim he is His footwork is very poor , he has slow reflexes is easy to hit and has a glass chin ! He has not shown a good ground game , and he has a poor record . I think most of Arlovski's fans are in love with his Looks and vastly over rate his skills . He has the look a lot of fans want in a heavyweight fighter , lean and muscular , and is real popular with the fans who switched from pro wrestling to mma . Im looking forward to him getting destroyed by Werdum

How can you claim he has slow reflexes when he KO'ed Buentello and most people in the crowd didn't even know what happened because of how fast it was. Also, you claim his ground game is poor when his biggest strength is Sambo.

P.S. Since you haven't realized this yet, a person's record doesn't mean much. According to this logic, Zentsov would be considered terrible which he isn't and BJ Penn wouldn't even be considered a top 5 WW which most people if not every person into MMA would hold to be true.
Stickan
4/2/07 7:31:25PM
Arlovski's a great athlete and got the skills but there's something missing in his game. He doesn't have that "it" and I never think he'll become a champion again.

John Alessio is kind of the same for me. A very complete fighter but will never be a champ and it's hard to point at exactly what it is that makes him not reaching champ level.
xthe_scottx
4/2/07 7:40:28PM
I agree with him probably not ever being a champion again and the "it" he is missing is him not utilizing all his skills. He chooses to stand in most fights when he has good wrestling and would have great GnP. He needs to mix it up in his fights. If he did this, he might become a top 5 HW.
Spiderman
4/2/07 8:13:04PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

Posted by Spiderman

How can you claim he has slow reflexes when he KO'ed Buentello and most people in the crowd didn't even know what happened because of how fast it was. Also, you claim his ground game is poor when his biggest strength is Sambo.

P.S. Since you haven't realized this yet, a person's record doesn't mean much. According to this logic, Zentsov would be considered terrible which he isn't and BJ Penn wouldn't even be considered a top 5 WW which most people if not every person into MMA would hold to be true.

How can you claim he has fast reflexes ? He dosent even move out of the way of punchs ! He is very easy to hit His reactions to incomeing punchs are slow . I could even make a case for his chin not being so bad just that he is such a easy target and gets hit with huge shots ! Haveing a quick good right hand dosent mean he has fast reflexes .
nubby
4/3/07 11:53:09AM
I think this was caused by the accident. It's possible he might never be the same. At a time he was very good. Now he doesn't have that hunger.
Mastodon2
4/3/07 12:17:55PM

Posted by Spiderman

If records were everything, Shonie Carter would be considered a top 5 P4P fighter.
xchickox
4/3/07 12:26:48PM
i think he's gonna be werdum then should get cro cop and i think he's gonna shock a lot of people by beating him...i know i'm gonna get called mad for saying this but i just think he will, i think he's top 5 heavyweight
mkiv9secsupra
4/3/07 5:28:06PM
obviously he has good ground skills with his sambo background....but i would think it would be more devastating then most ppl thnk....just think if he took you down and shoved all that hair on your face and in your mouth and nose.... i think i would tap just from that...

PS... not being too serious so please dont give me flack over this...
jaba
4/4/07 8:59:19PM

Posted by randyleprechaun

Posted by AchillesHeel

I dont know what Dana White is doing. I think it'll make a great fight but its happening 6 months prematurely!

WHy are u bitchin, ud rather see Werdum school some chump then fight arlovski? what the hell is wrong with you. Im so pumped for that fight thank god Dana dosent listen too douches like you. Id way rather see that now than wait like 6 moths.
jaba
4/4/07 9:06:43PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

Posted by Spiderman

Totally agree, noticed how everyone hates tim sylvia, notice also how he is an ugly ass bastard. Tim actually has some damn entertaining fights and beatn some top competition, Arlovski biggest claim to fame is one win too tow loses againgst Tim sylvia yet everyone still loves him. I do hate tim sylvia though, saw him on blind date and lost all respect.
mkiv9secsupra
4/4/07 9:24:55PM

Posted by jaba

Totally agree, noticed how everyone hates tim sylvia, notice also how he is an ugly ass bastard. Tim actually has some damn entertaining fights and beatn some top competition, Arlovski biggest claim to fame is one win too tow loses againgst Tim sylvia yet everyone still loves him. I do hate tim sylvia though, saw him on blind date and lost all respect.

huh.....No one likes sylvia and no one thinks his fights are entertaining... Sylvia vs arlovski 3 was crap... arlovski was too hungry for the kill... he hasnt matured into a great MMA practicioner yet...he will soon.
jaba
4/5/07 8:42:49PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by jaba

huh.....No one likes sylvia and no one thinks his fights are entertaining... Sylvia vs arlovski 3 was crap... arlovski was too hungry for the kill... he hasnt matured into a great MMA practicioner yet...he will soon.

watch sylvia vs. cabbge or rodriguez and tell me those werent entertaining ....... douche.
FortySixBelow
4/6/07 4:03:57AM
Sylvia post steroid positive test has turned into a big soft teddy bear...

Let's hope i am wrong.

i don't care if i dont like him it sucks when he just goes out there and...paw paw...paw paw...jab jab...

BadSanta
4/6/07 4:04:45AM
I'll keep saying it...AA to beat CC at the first opportunity.
FortySixBelow
4/6/07 4:25:04AM
I really don't think that is a good fight for AA. i have to disagree..

Cro Cop excels just a little bit more at everything that Arlovski does well..assuming that one doesnt go to the ground.

Not to mention i also think he has the better chin and more desire(yes i said it)

Maybe if Arlovski werent so busy modelling for photos on his website he might be able to focus on training and beating Filipovic...

http://www.arlovski.tv/start.htm

Pages: [1] 2