Ariel Helwani's 25-minute interview with Nick Diaz

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Ariel Helwani's 25-minute interview with Nick Diaz
emfleek
10/27/11 11:42:22AM
Check it out. I'm listening to it now. I'll share my thoughts afterwards.

LINK
gartface
10/27/11 12:13:05PM
Started it about 5 minutes and it's damn near unbearable listening to him.
emfleek
10/27/11 12:19:19PM
My connection is sucking. I couldn't get past about 3 seconds so I gave up. I'll have to try later.
gartface
10/27/11 12:26:32PM

Posted by emfleek

My connection is sucking. I couldn't get past about 3 seconds so I gave up. I'll have to try later.

My connection is doing the same. I'm having to just listen instead of watch.

This is what I'm getting from it though.

Chael_Sonnen
10/27/11 12:27:02PM

Posted by gartface

Yeah, I can only hear 'Ya know' for so many times
Budgellism
10/27/11 12:29:41PM

Posted by gartface

I personally don't watch any Diaz brother interviews. Not worth the time and I literally get angry listening because of their personality and the fact that they usually throw 3 or 4 words together as one giant word that sounds like pure mumbling.

I love watching them fight though.
emfleek
10/27/11 12:34:38PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek

My connection is doing the same. I'm having to just listen instead of watch.

This is what I'm getting from it though.

Is there an audio only version I don't know about?
gartface
10/27/11 12:41:22PM
Nope. Just tabbed away from the video so I didn't have to look at the constant video buffering.
grappler0000
10/27/11 1:26:08PM
I hear the CIA has done away with waterboarding in favor of playing five-minute Nick Diaz interviews. Twenty five minutes has to be unconstitutional though.
hashyandy4
10/27/11 8:55:42PM
That was a great interview, thanks Fleek!! I know some people dont like listening 2 Nick, but i cant get enough of his interviews, and it's not because were both from Stockton!!
State_Champ
10/27/11 9:48:32PM
That inteerview was very humanizing.

Great interview!
KungFuMaster
10/27/11 11:12:21PM

Posted by State_Champ

Great interview!

It really was humanizing. I think Diaz is partly misunderstood because he seems to have a difficult time expressing himself through words. He is not articulate and his prose are limited but if you listen carefully, Diaz spoke his heart out on this interview. Many of his responses were not answered directly but his language and body language answered it thoroughly.

I have never been much of a fan of Nick Diaz but this interview showcased the human side of him. I have never followed Diaz outside of the fighting cage but this is what I got from the interview.

He strikes me as a person who is struggling through life on a day by day basis. He seems to harbor a lot of anxiety and regrets. He probably had a very rough childhood. He probably had Attention Deficit Disorder. There is a lot of anger built up inside of him which he is realizing he needs to let go. He has realized how foolish and inconsiderate he has been and is showing signs of maturity. He wants to repent for all his negative actions but does not know exactly how to do it.

I don't think Diaz has a father figure or even someone who is a close replacement. The closest thing to a father figure is probably his trainer and besides that....he has literally have to live and become a man on his own.

You can say Diaz is a self made man. The only family he has is his mother and sibling(s). And from what I gather from this interview, he and his mother are probably no longer close.

I see a man who is confused as to what he really wants in life. No one has taught him anything and he has had to learn everything on his own. I don't think fighting is his calling; I think it was a way to vent his frustrations and he found peace while doing it. Now that he is becoming more at peace with himself, he realizes fighting is not something he would do if he had other means of making a living.

Diaz has not really passed the stage of adolescent. He is dealing with it right now as he longs for acceptance and a home - something he felt he never had.
hashyandy4
10/27/11 11:28:16PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by State_Champ

Great interview!

It really was humanizing. I think Diaz is partly misunderstood because he seems to have a difficult time expressing himself through words. He is not articulate and his prose are limited but if you listen carefully, Diaz spoke his heart out on this interview. Many of his responses were not answered directly but his language and body language answered it thoroughly.

I have never been much of a fan of Nick Diaz but this interview showcased the human side of him. I have never followed Diaz outside of the fighting cage but this is what I got from the interview.

He strikes me as a person who is struggling through life on a day by day basis. He seems to harbor a lot of anxiety and regrets. He probably had a very rough childhood. He probably had Attention Deficit Disorder. There is a lot of anger built up inside of him which he is realizing he needs to let go. He has realized how foolish and inconsiderate he has been and is showing signs of maturity. He wants to repent for all his negative actions but does not know exactly how to do it.

I don't think Diaz has a father figure or even someone who is a close replacement. The closest thing to a father figure is probably his trainer and besides that....he has literally have to live and become a man on his own.

You can say Diaz is a self made man. The only family he has is his mother and sibling(s). And from what I gather from this interview, he and his mother are probably no longer close.

I see a man who is confused as to what he really wants in life. No one has taught him anything and he has had to learn everything on his own. I don't think fighting is his calling; I think it was a way to vent his frustrations and he found peace while doing it. Now that he is becoming more at peace with himself, he realizes fighting is not something he would do if he had other means of making a living.

Diaz has not really passed the stage of adolescent. He is dealing with it right now as he longs for acceptance and a home - something he felt he never had.

Wow that was really deep. I have to respectfully disagree. Everything u just said is very close to my childhood and upbringing. U yourself said u are not much of a Nick Diaz fan. I know Nick says some very interesting and revealing things, but there is no way u can assume all of what u said in a 24 minute interview. Again i say this in the upmost respect, but i watched this interview and a lot of others with Nick and i feel your statements were a little much.
KungFuMaster
10/27/11 11:35:09PM

Posted by hashyandy4

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by State_Champ

Great interview!

Wow that was really deep. I have to respectfully disagree. Everything u just said is very close to my childhood and upbringing. U yourself said u are not much of a Nick Diaz fan. I know Nick says some very interesting and revealing things, but there is no way u can assume all of what u said in a 24 minute interview. Again i say this in the upmost respect, but i watched this interview and a lot of others with Nick and i feel your statements were a little much.

I didn't say I was right. I said these are the things I got from that interview.

I am assuming and guessing here but I am a pretty good judge of character. Can you tell me if those things are true about Diaz? I know nothing of his personal life.
KungFuMaster
10/28/11 12:06:08AM
I found a brief page about Diaz's biography. I think I was pretty close.
gartface
10/28/11 8:36:09AM
I would most certainly say he isn't maturing very much. The other day he was talking about how he wishes he would have stuck with pro boxing...

You said he probably had ADD...uh...did you see how fidgety he was during the interview? It was a little obnoxious.
KungFuMaster
10/28/11 12:03:17PM

Posted by gartface

I would most certainly say he isn't maturing very much. The other day he was talking about how he wishes he would have stuck with pro boxing...

You said he probably had ADD...uh...did you see how fidgety he was during the interview? It was a little obnoxious.

I don't know if you meant obvious or you actually meant obnoxious but..

Anyway, I cannot state what I really feel which is why I phrased it the way I did.

I do feel he is maturing slowly but surely. The part about pro boxing is one of his many regrets and he is simply being honest about it but not articulate enough to phrase it like a well spoken person would. A well spoken person may have said something like, " If I could do it all over again, I may have explored more of my boxing opportunities but I'm grateful to be where I am today. MMA has been kind to me. I have a steady career because of MMA. I don't know what I will be doing after my MMA career is over but I'm sure I'll think of something."

A well spoken person would literally lie to make himself look good whereas Diaz will tend to be blunt, simple, and honest. >>>And he is not doing it on purpose. He simply does not have the means to articulate his thoughts in a politically correct sort of way. >>> which brings up why he doesn't want to attend press conferences. In the interview with Ariel, he literally spaced out during the first two questions and had no idea what Ariel was asking. One, he had difficulty following the question(s) and two, he spaced out due to intimidation and fear. After that he settled down and became more responsive.

If anyone is going to interview Nick Diaz in the future, be sure to keep the questions short and simple. Ariel realized that immediately and kept his questions shorter after the first two failed attempts.