Your area's MMA credentials

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Your area's MMA credentials
Next Page »
AchillesHeel
2/11/08 12:34:20PM
I was reading about the recent WCF event here in Massachusetts, and the event featured a handful of UFC fighters who live or grew up in New England. Thinking about it, the area actually has some MMA cred. Here's my "Massachusetts All-Star Team":

265 lbs: Gabriel Gonzaga lives and trains in Ludlow, MA. Tim Sylvia is from Maine, originally, but he's clearly an Iowa guy now.
205 lbs: Thiago Silva has reportedly joined Gonzaga's camp in Ludlow. Mark Dellagrotte's website says Stephan Bonnar trains there, but I thought he was with Xtreme Couture. Maybe he used to train there..?
185 lbs: Jorge Rivera is, iirc, from Framingham, MA and trains at least part time at Mark Dellgrotte's Sityodong Boston gym in Somerville. And Paulo Filho has also apparently joined Gabriel Gonzaga's Ludlow gym, turning it into a mini Brazilian All-Star team.
170 lbs: Marcus Davis is from Maine, and also trains with Dellagrotte at least some of the time.
155 lbs: Kenny Florian is from Westwood, MA, graduated from BC, and is a part of Dellagrotte's gym in Somerville; the Lauzons, Dan and Joe, are from Brockton, MA.

And Dana White is originally from Boston, I think. Or, at least, he lived here for a while.

Sadly, I haven't been to any Massachusetts MMA events. I don't have a car, and the Mayor of Boston evidently has a stick where the Sun doesn't shine (not surprising, I guess, this being Boston). I read that Dana is working on getting a UFC event into the Garden. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So how does your city/region/state/province rate for MMA? I guess if you live in Las Vegas or just about anywhere in Brazil, you don't need to say any more than that. As for what qualifies as your "area", I guess that's up to you. If you claim "California" or "England" as your neighborhood, though, I'll probably scoff at you. Privately, at least.

p.s. For folks in the area, or those planning to visit or come here for school or something, there's a site I found for Mass MMA. I've only just started browsing it myself, so I can't vouch for it yet.

p.p.s. I found the site for the gym that Gonzaga, Filho, and Silva go to. It's Team Link, in Ludlow.
Ordep
2/11/08 1:07:17PM

I guess the only thing good that I know to say about Athens, GA in terms of MMA is The Hardcore Gym from ATT

Forrest Griffin - Studied here at UGA, former Athens Police Officer and started his career there.

Rory Singer - ...

Brian Bowles - The next WEC 135 Champ

Stephen Ledbetter - 145 fighting with WEC

Now from Puerto Rico I think Jorge Rivera is originally from there (parents) and I'm not sure about this but I was told that he trained some JJ there too.
emfleek
2/11/08 1:07:36PM
As far as I know, Jon Fitch is the only "popular" MMArtist from Fort Wayne or the surrounding area. Unless you scoot on down to Indianapolis which is Chris Lytle's hometown.
ncordless
2/11/08 3:15:05PM
Iowa...

Tim Sylvia HW
Wow, I can't think of a LHW so I'll just put Bobby Hoffman
Robbie Lawler MW
Matt Hughes/ Militich WW
Spencer Fisher LW
Jens Pulver FW

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Andre Roberts at SHW
pv3Hpv3p
2/11/08 3:18:22PM
I'm a Minnesota guy... so...

HW - Jeff Monson was from MN at some point, hence the "Snowman" moniker, i think (I guess you could consider Brock, but I think he's from one of the Dakotas originally... He went to college here, and trains with Thompson and Sherk at MMAA)

LHW - Travis Wiuff (sp?) Rochester, MN

MW - Dave Menne has a school in Forrest Lake or thereabouts

WW - Brock Larson and Nick Thompson

LW - Sean Sherk (Roger Huerta goes to college up here and trains here as well or used to anyways)
Jackelope
2/11/08 3:29:36PM
Phoenix-

Super Heavy- Joe Riggs
Heavy- Joe Riggs
Light Heavy- Joe Riggs
Middleweight- Joe Riggs
Welterweight- Joe Riggs

hahah
Pookie
2/11/08 3:51:20PM
Bay area so i guess we have Cung le, Nick Diaz, Nate diaz, and Jake Sheilds.
mrliquid
2/11/08 4:01:48PM
Florida

Thiago Alves "Pit bull" - Coconut Creek, FL
Matt Arroyo - Tampa FL
Marcus Aurelio - Coconut Creek, FL
Allen Berube - born in Maine now in Tampa
Hermes Franca - Jupiter,FL

also Karo was training in miami for awhile and the gracies have a school 40 minutes from where I live.
puppetmaster837
2/11/08 4:31:50PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I'm a Minnesota guy... so...

HW - Jeff Monson was from MN at some point, hence the "Snowman" moniker, i think (I guess you could consider Brock, but I think he's from one of the Dakotas originally... He went to college here, and trains with Thompson and Sherk at MMAA)

LHW - Travis Wiuff (sp?) Rochester, MN

MW - Dave Menne has a school in Forrest Lake or thereabouts

WW - Brock Larson and Nick Thompson

LW - Sean Sherk (Roger Huerta goes to college up here and trains here as well or used to anyways)

Jeff Monsons "Snowman" nickname came from his beating 4 brazilians in a row at the '99 Abu Dahbi competition.

We only have a couple cans from Washington

Heavyweight: Randy Couture- Born in Lynnwood.
Jeff Monson- Born in Olympia
Josh Barnett- Born in Seattle

Middleweight: Ivan Salaverry- Not born here but now runs a gym in Seattle

Lightweight: Jens Pulver- Born very close to Seattle and my wrestling coach wrestled with him in high school.

Dennis Hallman- I wasnt really sure what weight to put him in having fought in multiple classes, but he was born in Yelm.
kevietre
2/11/08 4:50:58PM
JERSEY

Frankie Edgar-From Toms River and possibly heading to Middletown which is the town next to time.

Renzo Gracie- Holmdel NJ which is next to my town also.

Ricardo Almeida- Hamilton NJ
CactusBob
2/11/08 5:18:39PM
I will just say Ontario, where MMA is not yet allowed.

Mark Hominick is from London
Jeff Joslin comes from Hamilton, my dad actually trained under his father, rick joslin.
Sam Stout, who is in the same program as me btw, hails from London too I believe.
Gary Goodrich is from Barrie, a town not two hours from where I sit.

Those are some notable fighters.
fedorwins1
2/11/08 6:29:31PM
PA:

Koscheck and Eddie Alvarez are all I can come up with....
Rush
2/11/08 7:03:44PM

Posted by CactusBob

I will just say Ontario, where MMA is not yet allowed.

Mark Hominick is from London
Jeff Joslin comes from Hamilton, my dad actually trained under his father, rick joslin.
Sam Stout, who is in the same program as me btw, hails from London too I believe.
Gary Goodrich is from Barrie, a town not two hours from where I sit.

Those are some notable fighters.

Don't forget Bocek and Horodeki.
wolfman
2/11/08 7:14:26PM

Posted by mrliquid

Florida

Thiago Alves "Pit bull" - Coconut Creek, FL
Matt Arroyo - Tampa FL
Marcus Aurelio - Coconut Creek, FL
Allen Berube - born in Maine now in Tampa
Hermes Franca - Jupiter,FL

also Karo was training in miami for awhile and the gracies have a school 40 minutes from where I live.

Do you speak of Gracie Academy in Tampa? I'd like to add Chris Baten who is from Tampa, FL.
iwannabesedated
2/11/08 7:14:31PM

Posted by fedorwins1

PA:

Koscheck and Eddie Alvarez are all I can come up with....

Yeah Koscheck went to school about 20 mins from my house hes from Waynesburg...

Tim Boetesch is from PA

My cousin is from PA he's been training with AKA for almost a year now.Hes 4-1 his only loss is to Matt Major and after that fight is when they offered him to train at AKA.Although if you look him up on sherdog they have his name spelled wrong and his record isnt up to date.Hes fought at the IFBL events in Ohio,which ive attended a few times..lotsa fun.
rabbit915
2/11/08 7:19:48PM
Hmm, trying to think of people from Wisconsin.

Sean Salmon
Ben Rothwell
Eric Shafer

Those are the only guys i can think of right now.
jiujitsufreak74
2/11/08 7:50:33PM
i live about two towns over from Matt Serra's old /current town (like 15 min away)

its not exactly MMA but the ISKA World Super Middleweight Champion is one town over and i train at his school (7 min away)

of course you have Luke Cummo, Nick Serra, Drago (this man can never catch a break) and the rest of the people at Serra's camp (20 min away)

these guys kind of count as negatives but: Phil Baroni and Joe Scarola...not so much Phil but i am ashamed to even share the same country as Joe let alone the same state and island.

also Jay Hieron is pretty close to me as well.
jae_1833
2/11/08 11:08:26PM
I'm a half an hour away from Hendo's camp in Temecula Cali, So Cal has more fighters than any other place I can think of.
cowcatcher
2/11/08 11:12:39PM

Posted by rabbit915

Hmm, trying to think of people from Wisconsin.

Sean Salmon
Ben Rothwell
Eric Shafer

Those are the only guys i can think of right now.

duke roufus has been cornering(and training) fighters like schaefer and alan belcher, and will be fighting mma at some point at the end of this year after 2 kickboxing matches. and his brother rick is fighting mo smith, but rick lives in AZ now.
AchillesHeel
2/12/08 10:22:57AM
The WEC is touting their new acquisition, Josh Grispi, who's 6-1 in Massachusetts events.
Bemin
2/14/08 5:46:19PM
While Victoria isn't exactly a hotbed for MMA, Sarah Kaufman trains at my gym.
artofdefense
2/28/09 5:30:48PM
Colorado, we've got Ludwig, and Carwin.
haggiswashere
2/28/09 6:05:12PM
Josh Burkman
Jeremy Horn
Evan Tanner used to train here for a little while
Rob MacDonald trained here for one of his fights
We have the UCE and Elite Fight Night and thats it
cowcatcher
2/28/09 6:30:55PM
also training in milwaukee are pat berry, and a kid named anthony "showtime" pettis that most of you will hear about VERY soon, thats all ill say about that. some of the other guys are ben rothwell(born and raised an hour south of milwaukee), sharron leggett(he is super talented, but needs work ethic and polish), eric schafers JJ coach henry "the monkey" matamoros and an old dog in adrian serrano.
xtra_chewy
2/28/09 7:00:42PM
South Dakota representin' BROCK LESNAR!!!

papercut
2/28/09 8:28:03PM

Posted by cowcatcher

also training in milwaukee are pat berry, and a kid named anthony "showtime" pettis that most of you will hear about VERY soon, thats all ill say about that. some of the other guys are ben rothwell(born and raised an hour south of milwaukee), sharron leggett(he is super talented, but needs work ethic and polish), eric schafers JJ coach henry "the monkey" matamoros and an old dog in adrian serrano.

Dave Stausser is also in kenosha.

Ron Faircloth trains with "the chosen few" and they make regular stops down at the gym I train at, I love training with them. always a great workout.

and Pat O'malley is one of the most influential people for MMA in WI.
JimiMak
2/28/09 9:12:55PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I was reading about the recent WCF event here in Massachusetts, and the event featured a handful of UFC fighters who live or grew up in New England. Thinking about it, the area actually has some MMA cred. Here's my "Massachusetts All-Star Team":

265 lbs: Gabriel Gonzaga lives and trains in Ludlow, MA. Tim Sylvia is from Maine, originally, but he's clearly an Iowa guy now.
205 lbs: Thiago Silva has reportedly joined Gonzaga's camp in Ludlow. Mark Dellagrotte's website says Stephan Bonnar trains there, but I thought he was with Xtreme Couture. Maybe he used to train there..?
185 lbs: Jorge Rivera is, iirc, from Framingham, MA and trains at least part time at Mark Dellgrotte's Sityodong Boston gym in Somerville. And Paulo Filho has also apparently joined Gabriel Gonzaga's Ludlow gym, turning it into a mini Brazilian All-Star team.
170 lbs: Marcus Davis is from Maine, and also trains with Dellagrotte at least some of the time.
155 lbs: Kenny Florian is from Westwood, MA, graduated from BC, and is a part of Dellagrotte's gym in Somerville; the Lauzons, Dan and Joe, are from Brockton, MA.

And Dana White is originally from Boston, I think. Or, at least, he lived here for a while.

Sadly, I haven't been to any Massachusetts MMA events. I don't have a car, and the Mayor of Boston evidently has a stick where the Sun doesn't shine (not surprising, I guess, this being Boston). I read that Dana is working on getting a UFC event into the Garden. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So how does your city/region/state/province rate for MMA? I guess if you live in Las Vegas or just about anywhere in Brazil, you don't need to say any more than that. As for what qualifies as your "area", I guess that's up to you. If you claim "California" or "England" as your neighborhood, though, I'll probably scoff at you. Privately, at least.

p.s. For folks in the area, or those planning to visit or come here for school or something, there's a site I found for Mass MMA. I've only just started browsing it myself, so I can't vouch for it yet.

p.p.s. I found the site for the gym that Gonzaga, Filho, and Silva go to. It's Team Link, in Ludlow.

Also Kenny has his own gym somewhere in MA and Jorge Rivera has a gym right down the street from me in Bellingham Ma. Both of them have guys fighting on that WCF card. I might go, looks like lots of fun, just gotta convince some friends.
roadking95th
3/1/09 12:18:25AM
PA in the House

Brian "All American" Stann, Scranton, 6-1
Josh "KOS" Koscheck, Waynesburg, 12-4
Carmelo "The Fury" Marrero , Philadelphia, 10-2
Mac Danzig, grew up in Pittsburgh, 18-6-1
Justin Levens, Philadelphia, 9-8
Mike Ciesnolevicz, Harrisburg, 17-3
Eddie Alvarez, Kensington, 15-2
Phil "Mr. Wonderful" Davis, Harrisburg, 2-0

We'll also claim...
Tim "The Barbarian" Boetsch, college Loch Haven and trains in Sunbury, 8-2
Frankie "The Answer" Edgar, college Clarion, 9-1
Wilson Reis, trains in Philadelphia, 6-0
Paul Bradley, trains at LionHeart, State College, 10-0
npayant
3/1/09 12:42:19PM

Posted by xtra_chewy

South Dakota representin' BROCK LESNAR!!!

Haha... yeah and don't forget Travis Lutter!!

double
npayant
3/1/09 12:55:10PM

Posted by artofdefense

Colorado, we've got Ludwig, and Carwin.

I know this post is over a year old.... but you're forgetting some good people.

Off the top of my head:

Nate Marquardt
Alvin Robinson
Eliot Marshall
Donald Cerrone!!!!
Mike Nickels

Pages: [1] 2