April 19 on TV .... UFC.83 and Hopkins.vs.Calzaghe

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » April 19 on TV .... UFC.83 and Hopkins.vs.Calzaghe
POLL: How're feeling having both events on the same day...
Great! I'm watching both events 22% (8)
I'm such a cool MMA fan that I'm not suppose to support boxing. 16% (6)
I'm really angry because I'd have to miss one 8% (3)
I'm watching Hopkins-Calzaghe and happy about it. 5% (2)
I'm watching UFC 83 and happy about it. 49% (18)
I'll be at UFC 83, so can't watch HvsC anyway. 0% (0)
Ordep
3/23/08 10:14:59PM
I'm really disappointed that I'll miss one of the events because so far the only Bar I've found is showing only UFC (as they always do) but if I find a place with Hopkings vs. Calzaghe between now and then, I should be there.My cable provider doesn't have PPV options(UGA Cablevision really sucks) so I rely on downtown places. The fights that I'm really excited about UFC.83 are not main card (Stout-Clementi/Herman-Maia) so it's not a sure thing that I'll see them, not that I support just HUGE fight cards or so, but it is a two options situation for this one and for ME, I'm more interested Hopkins-Calzaghe than Serra-GSP.
RMFG_187
3/23/08 10:17:15PM
lol it will be funny when UFC grosses more PPV buys
juanez13
3/23/08 10:21:26PM
I will be getting both with my satellite....so i'll be watchin both, but im gonna watch every fight of UFC 83, and just check on Boxing, but in the morning ill watch the whole thing.
Aaronno9
3/23/08 10:39:10PM
wow, it sucks that there both at the same time, i didnt even realise. Rich franklin and joe calzaghe are both heros in my eyes so its gona be a tough call what i watch.

CantAndleDaRiddum
3/23/08 11:10:18PM
im def watching both
NatedawgThaM
3/23/08 11:16:45PM
Gonna buy B-Hop vs Calzaghe AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!! At least once I get my cable box...

UFC 83 looks like crap IMHO on paper. All the fights I want to see are on the undercard. The main card fights look like they are going to be lackluster to me(somebody not from Canada) and I'm not a fan of anybody on this card. Even the Main event looks lackluster IMO. The fight, not the hype. It looks liek it will either be quick or long & lackluster.

In the boxing fight, You have Joe who throws 100 punches a round which is unheard of and he's undefeated. B-Hop is the greatest Middleweight champion of all time. 20 DEFENSES!!! He slick as hell and I think this will be a great fight. One of these guys styles have got to give since they are COMPLETE OPPOSITE AS COMPLETE OPPOSITE GETS!!!

Boxing wins Round 2 as well. Boxing will get around 300,000-500,000 loyal long time fans to view, while UFC 83 will get 200,000-400,000. You got to face it, I love MMA but to outdue boxing in viewers especially on HBO is going to take a Rampage/Henderson, Henderson/Anderson, Liddell/Wandy type event taking on a not so great boxing fight that does not involve Kelly Pavlik, Floyd Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya, Roy Jones, or any famous British boxer. The Boxings fan base is just too big!!!

Sorry MMA fans, but I actually think all the viewers watching the boxing fight just from just england might just out watch this PPV BECAUSE BOXING IN ENGLAND IS HUGE!!!!! and Joe = British!!!!
chubbud22
3/23/08 11:36:30PM
Its boxing. I myself would rather watch the shittiest mma card(which this is not its the UFC) than Boxing any day. The last few boxing PPVs I have seen sucked; dec dec dec dec. IMO Boxing is dead MMA is here in a big f ing way. WAR MMA
Pookie
3/23/08 11:51:54PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Gonna buy B-Hop vs Calzaghe AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!! At least once I get my cable box...

UFC 83 looks like crap IMHO on paper. All the fights I want to see are on the undercard. The main card fights look like they are going to be lackluster to me(somebody not from Canada) and I'm not a fan of anybody on this card. Even the Main event looks lackluster IMO. The fight, not the hype. It looks liek it will either be quick or long & lackluster.

In the boxing fight, You have Joe who throws 100 punches a round which is unheard of and he's undefeated. B-Hop is the greatest Middleweight champion of all time. 20 DEFENSES!!! He slick as hell and I think this will be a great fight. One of these guys styles have got to give since they are COMPLETE OPPOSITE AS COMPLETE OPPOSITE GETS!!!

hails
3/24/08 3:11:27AM
Interesting that both are on the same night!!!

It is a bad card for the UFC to put up against the boxing.

I agree that 83 looks pretty lame past the first two events!!!

I know in boxing we buy PPVs for the main fight, but in MMA we buy for the fights overall!!!

It would of been interesting had the 83 card been a little better, we might of out sold boxing.

Not this time though!!!
Ordep
3/24/08 9:11:54AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by NatedawgThaM

=
+1
this is exactly why I'm looking for a place to watch the Hop.v.Cal , but it is all about football around here Univ. town
pv3Hpv3p
3/24/08 9:22:03AM
I don't follow boxing quite as religiously, so I'll be happy to watch the Calzaghe/Hopkins fight when it's on free TV on HBO or showtime the next weekend... Or try to catch it on Comcast OnDemand...

Probably still get the UFC, because it seems more like habit than anything now a days
xchickox
3/24/08 9:35:18AM
i'm gutted about it being both on the same night, but i cant miss hopkins vs calzaghe, i've been waiting for ages for this fight and we're having a big party at mine for it, just after what ufc 83 online in the morning
fullerene
3/24/08 10:05:21AM
I'll watch boxing for the superior main event, but might get both events becuase boxing undercards tend to be much less compelling than UFC undercards.

Joe Calzaghe began boxing professionally in 1993. Hopkins did so in 1988. Both are still at the top of their respective divisions, but probably only have a few more fights to go. I disagree with the poster that said Hopkins was the greatest MW ever (Monzon and Hagler are a couple recent guys who I'd rank higher), but he's a top 5 guy all-time and Calzaghe is definitely a top 5 SMW all-time (which isn't the toughest division to do that in). They're both heading to the hall of fame. They have about 40 title defenses between them. This is a fight that has been talked about for around 5 years and neither guy has lost convincingly enough for it to lose its luster.

The UFC, ran it's first event after both of those guys turned pro and the stars of that event have either retired or are a shadow of themselves.. There is just more legacy and history at stake with a boxing match like Calzaghe-Hopkins this than you can put together in MMA because of how recent MMA is.

Of course you have to like both sports (which I do) for it to even make a difference. I understand that not everyone will.
chubbud22
3/24/08 3:59:22PM
Isnt this boxing fight on HBO live?
Red-Dragon
3/24/08 5:22:06PM
I will be watching both on download the next moring whilst all you Americans are sound asleep in bed (dreaming about what you have just witnessed)
Kant fcukin wait!!!!
D0wnUnd6e6r
3/24/08 6:27:51PM
I'll actually be at UFC 83
so no choice
Ordep
3/24/08 6:36:23PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I'll actually be at UFC 83
so no choice

actually choice #6 was made for people like you
skinnator
3/26/08 6:07:25PM
1 day after my birthday I will NOT MISS UFC 83. I live in MTL that tells it all.