Any apple eaters?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Any apple eaters?
gartface
9/29/11 11:30:11AM
I love a good apple, but so often I bite into a mushy one. I try to stay away from red delicious and mcintosh when I can. I've been trying to eat healthier, so I've been buying apples in bulk to snack on. They're sweet and they have a lot of fiber.

So far the best ones that I've tried have been Fuji and Pink Lady apples(so many dirty jokes to be made). I want to try a Honeycrisp but they're like $3.50 a pound here.

What are your favorite kinds?
prophecy033
9/29/11 11:39:02AM
Granny Smith and grapples. The grapples are big and smell and taste like grapes. It's crazy
Theoutlaw08
9/29/11 11:39:33AM
Im a big fan of Fuji, Pink Lady, Red Delicious, Cortlands.
I love cooking with apples too.

I hate green apples, to tart.
grappler0000
9/29/11 11:45:54AM
I don't know that I have a favorite, but I love apples. I usually rotate between kinds each time I go to the market. I don't think I've ever met an apple that I don't like...I am not a fan of bruised or mushy fruit though. There are several fruit that I like better than apples (mostly tropical), but they are my go-to fruit. I have them in the house nearly 24/7/365.

Anyone ever have a grapple? No pun actually intended. I'm referring to the grape flavored apple. I thought they were pretty darn good, but I can't seem to find them any longer at the store.

Edit: looks like prophecy033 knows what I'm talking about.
gartface
9/29/11 11:48:31AM
I've never cooked with apples before, but Granny Smith do seem to make the best pies and such. Never been one for eating green apples, I agree Outlaw, they're too tart!

I haven't tried a Grapple or a Cortland yet. I'll have to check those out! I just had my first Fuji today, and I love it. I bought a weeks worth last night.

gartface
9/29/11 11:51:27AM

Posted by grappler0000
There are several fruit that I like better than apples (mostly tropical), but they are my go-to fruit. I have them in the house nearly 24/7/365.

I'm the same way. I'll eat a few kinds of fruit over an apple if I'm given the chance.(Pineapple, Clementines, Kiwi) The problem I have with a lot of fruit is the preparation time. Apples are so easy and convenient and taste good to boot. I used to like bananas more, but apples have become a staple in my lunches and breakfasts.
SpiderSilva
9/29/11 11:54:44AM
I love apples gala has got to be my fav. have you ever had an Asian pears? they are sooo good i could prob eat those every day.
MiniMan
9/29/11 1:44:12PM
I was an apple man, Now I smash the PEARS!!

WAR PEARS!
kopower
9/29/11 2:04:48PM
Apples are by far my favorite fruit. I usually eat one everyday. My favorites are Honeycrisp (developed in Minnesota ), Braeburn,and Haralson's. I love apples that are firm, crisp, and juicy.
gartface
9/29/11 2:11:02PM

Posted by kopower

Apples are by far my favorite fruit. I usually eat one everyday. My favorites are Honeycrisp (developed in Minnesota ), Braeburn,and Haralson's. I love apples that are firm, crisp, and juicy.

To me, if an apple isn't firm, crisp and juicy, it's crap. Nothing worse than biting into a mushy apple.

I can dig it that you guys love pears, but I've never been able to get past the grainy taste.
prophecy033
9/29/11 2:31:33PM

Posted by grappler0000

I don't know that I have a favorite, but I love apples. I usually rotate between kinds each time I go to the market. I don't think I've ever met an apple that I don't like...I am not a fan of bruised or mushy fruit though. There are several fruit that I like better than apples (mostly tropical), but they are my go-to fruit. I have them in the house nearly 24/7/365.

Anyone ever have a grapple? No pun actually intended. I'm referring to the grape flavored apple. I thought they were pretty darn good, but I can't seem to find them any longer at the store.

I think grapples are seasonal
grappler0000
9/29/11 2:46:18PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by grappler0000

I think grapples are seasonal

I'm sure they are, but I haven't seen them at the store in a couple of years though.
scoozna
9/30/11 10:41:18AM
Red Delicious FTW. I love the "craaack" sound the skin makes when you bite off a big chunk.
Honeycrisp and Granny Smiths a good second. The Honeycrisps are too expensive though.

I love the Asian pears...hard to find in our LAME supermarket.
I've never heard of a "grapple" before, but it sounds wonderful.
Twenty20Dollars
9/30/11 11:58:30AM
Idk if you guys watch Tosh.0, but there was a video he showed of a guy juggling 3 apples and taking a bit of them one them while he juggled them.

I guess you could say he is an apple eater.
gartface
9/30/11 12:26:41PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Idk if you guys watch Tosh.0, but there was a video he showed of a guy juggling 3 apples and taking a bit of them one them while he juggled them.

That video cracks me up every time. It's pretty amazing!

Scoozna, I've never had a good experience with a red delicious. Maybe I'm getting them from the wrong places.
kopower
9/30/11 12:51:14PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

That video cracks me up every time. It's pretty amazing!

Scoozna, I've never had a good experience with a red delicious. Maybe I'm getting them from the wrong places.

Red Delicious seem to be hit or miss. Many times they are nice and crunchy, but every now and then, I'll hit a mushy stretch.
gartface
9/30/11 1:10:41PM
It's all been a mushy stretch for me as far as Red Delicious is concerned.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/30/11 3:41:10PM

Posted by MiniMan

I was an apple man, Now I smash the PEARS!!

WAR PEARS!

I'm with MiniMan. I love pears. I used to eat apples all the time, but not so much lately. I like them when they're cooked into my food, but as a stand-alone product, I don't care for them that much anymore.

If I am going to eat one, though, it has to be a green apple. Love the tart
prophecy033
9/30/11 3:57:54PM
I'm a mango guy myself
Twenty20Dollars
10/1/11 12:42:05AM
SpiderSilva
10/2/11 6:12:09PM

Posted by prophecy033

I'm a mango guy myself

MANGOS ftw!
gartface
10/6/11 1:25:30PM

Posted by kopower

Went to Kroger last night for some stuff and figured I'd hop over to produce, and low and behold, Euro Honeycrisp apples were $1.99/lb. I grabbed four for the rest of the week.(One for breakfast and one for lunch)

They're pretty delicious. They're a tad tart at times, but also they're pretty sweet. I love the crisp, thick flesh. It's awesome!
Hendo67
10/6/11 2:23:35PM
Fresh from the tree Crab Apples!
gartface
10/6/11 2:27:49PM

Posted by Hendo67

Fresh from the tree Crab Apples!

I think my tongue would have a heart attack from the tartness. Then again, I don't think I've ever tried one.