Aoki Wants Melendez Rematch At DREAM 16, SF Says Not Yet

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Aoki Wants Melendez Rematch At DREAM 16, SF Says Not Yet
DCRage
7/11/10 8:01:58AM
After defeating Tatsuya Kawajiri via submission at DREAM 15 yesterday, Shinya Aoki announced that he would be returning at DREAM.16 and that he wants a rematch with Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez. But Strikeforce's Mike Afromowitz says not so fast: The rematch, which likely would be for one or both of the promotions' titles, has not been made yet and may not be-Melendez is out of action due to a hand injury.

Article
warglory
7/11/10 11:01:09AM
That's insane, Aoki is going to get wrecked...again.
Playground_Samurai
7/11/10 1:43:19PM
I don't know. The stretchy pants can make all the difference in the world.
seanfu
7/11/10 3:27:11PM

Posted by warglory

That's insane, Aoki is going to get wrecked...again.

Japan is not the same. I honestly believe it makes a big difference where you fight aside from the obvious scoring differences.

That fight would be a huge experiment in the theory that cage vs ring matters considering the fights will probably both have happened within a year. I'm excited to see if I'm right or wrong.
Twenty20Dollars
7/11/10 3:30:18PM
Does aoki really want to take that beating again?

I wouldnt mind seeing the rematch, but I would rather see Melendez face someone else and then rematch Aoki.
sbulldavid
7/11/10 3:53:33PM
The ring and stretchy pants make a difference. In a ring you can't be as aggressive with takedown attempts. The stretchy pants help with transitions. I would pick Aoki in a ring because Melendez wouldn't be able to pin Aoki against the cage, and those stretchy pants help with flying triangles and crazy **** like that, because they have more grip than sweaty flesh.
DCRage
7/11/10 4:01:08PM
Aoki definitely has the edge in Japan between the pants and the fight likely being in the ring and not the cage, and let's not forget about the different rules (no elbows among other things).
jlock003
7/11/10 10:13:04PM
I saw Aoki's last fight too, but he didn't look any more polished or as if he had any new tools. Granted he basically went out, grabbed an ankle, and wouldn't let go til the tap. However, the competition jump from Kawajiri is huge. Melendez dominated the first fight. Aoki didn't even get in the position to secure a hold. Melendez didn't win that fight with elbows, or by pressing Aoki into the cage. He won the stand up battle, used great footwork, and knew when to get in and out. Melendez wins that fight in america or in Japan. I say give Aoki Josh Thompson after he heals up and if he can win then give him the rematch. Let melendez fight Beerbohm or even Noons. I know there are differences between the cage and the ring. Cro Cop struggled terribly in the cage for a while as has Yvel, but Silva(Anderson) hasn't exactly struggled nor has Shogun. The transition can be made and the stretch pants aren't miracle workers. Yes they may provide some extra traction, but Aoki never got close enough to an arm, or leg, and certainly not a neck to threaten melendez. I see the fight going down the exact same way. Only difference I could see is Melendez throwing more strikes b/c he may be more confident and perhaps dropping Aoki.
Gogoplatapus
7/11/10 10:35:10PM
10-15 UFC LW's > Melendez > Aoki

That's the way I see it. 15 might be high, but not by much.
IowaWrestling
7/11/10 10:48:31PM
Does everyone forget that GM knows JJ also. He pwns Aoki in the stand up and is as good or mabey a little less skilled than Aoki. He is a memeber of Ceasar Gracies camp wich is filled with awesome JJ guys
Twenty20Dollars
7/11/10 11:16:20PM
i thought dream started to use a cage or was that only once? Or am I remembeing something else.
jlock003
7/11/10 11:27:25PM

Posted by jlock003

I saw Aoki's last fight too, but he didn't look any more polished or as if he had any new tools. Granted he basically went out, grabbed an ankle, and wouldn't let go til the tap. However, the competition jump from Kawajiri is huge. Melendez dominated the first fight. Aoki didn't even get in the position to secure a hold. Melendez didn't win that fight with elbows, or by pressing Aoki into the cage. He won the stand up battle, used great footwork, and knew when to get in and out. Melendez wins that fight in america or in Japan. I say give Aoki Josh Thompson after he heals up and if he can win then give him the rematch. Let melendez fight Beerbohm or even Noons. I know there are differences between the cage and the ring. Cro Cop struggled terribly in the cage for a while as has Yvel, but Silva(Anderson) hasn't exactly struggled nor has Shogun. The transition can be made and the stretch pants aren't miracle workers. Yes they may provide some extra traction, but Aoki never got close enough to an arm, or leg, and certainly not a neck to threaten melendez. I see the fight going down the exact same way. Only difference I could see is Melendez throwing more strikes b/c he may be more confident and perhaps dropping Aoki.

I mean I would say several are better, but I only feel like 3 or 4 are hands down clearly better than Melendez, but 10-15 would give him the fight of his life whereas there are only a few competitive lightweights in SF. Penn, Edgar, Guida, and Florian IMO would beat him up. Then there are guys like Evan Dunham, Spencer Fisher, Joe Stevenson, George Sotiropoulos, Tyson Griffin,Gray Maynard, ect...who would have a great shot against Melendez.
Pookie
7/11/10 11:30:20PM

Posted by jlock003

Posted by jlock003

I mean I would say several are better, but I only feel like 3 or 4 are hands down clearly better than Melendez, but 10-15 would give him the fight of his life whereas there are only a few competitive lightweights in SF. Penn, Edgar, Guida, and Florian IMO would beat him up. Then there are guys like Evan Dunham, Spencer Fisher, Joe Stevenson, George Sotiropoulos, Tyson Griffin,Gray Maynard, ect...who would have a great shot against Melendez.

Melendez won in a very one-sided fight against Guida.
Rush
7/12/10 12:07:28AM

Posted by Pookie

A split decision is one-sided?
jlock003
7/12/10 12:20:51AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by jlock003

Posted by jlock003

Not one-sided at all, but your point still plays. Replace Guida with Maynard then. Just change their places. The point I think was that the guy is a really good fighter, but in the broad picture of things less people are caring about Melendez vs. Aoki 2 b/c there are many more talented Lightweight fighters out there. I realize he doesn't have access to fight those guys b/c the UFC refuses to co-promote, but the rematch seems meaningless. I'd rather see Penn/Edgar 2. Or Maynard/Florian ect. The list continues. Melendez/Aoki 2 isn't really relevant.
CCPRIDE99
7/12/10 1:05:15AM
you never know what to expect from aoki. look at the two fights with jz
bjj1605
7/12/10 2:50:21AM
I was seriously angry at the ref in their first fight. He wouldn't allow Aoki to butt scoot. That is a major part of Aoki's game so it could have hurt him. Melendez was also landing a lot of good shots during those but scoots. It affected both fighters. Bottom line: Let them fight ref. Stay out of it.

In Japan they will let him but scoot. That could end in Aoki wraping Gil up in a submission or Gil dive bombing him like he did last time except this time he'll knock him out because the ref won't be interfering.