Aoki's Antics Mar Exciting Night At Dynamite!!

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Aoki's Antics Mar Exciting Night At Dynamite!!
RhythmAndStyle
12/31/09 1:08:15PM
In a battle of lightweight champions, Dream’s Shinya Aoki immediately put Sengoku’s Mizuto Hirota on the mat and took mount with Hirota’s arm wrapped up and behind his own back. Aoki then proceeded to, quite literally, break Hirota’s arm in an odd sort of twisting armbar. The maneuver popped Hirota’s elbow out of place, leaving his forearm flaccid.

Link
jiujitsufreak74
12/31/09 1:51:02PM
i knew he would do a submission this year that was seldom done in MMA. i called it in the beginning of the year and i'm glad he delivered with one day to spare haha.

Aoki looked good in that fight, but it didn't show anything we didn't know. i want to see how he fares in Untied rules against American fighters. we can all speculate till the cows come home but i just want to see it happen.
bojangalz
12/31/09 1:58:27PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i knew he would do a submission this year that was seldom done in MMA.

lol. You're not exaclty going out on a limb with that prediction.

I agree, Aoki's got all the grappling talent in the world. But it's time to see him tested stateside. He can get away with being completely one dimentional in Japan. I'm not certain it would hold up here in the states.
RhythmAndStyle
12/31/09 2:25:39PM
but like i say to some of my homies..sometimes you just so good at one thing..that it's hard to stop you(Hughes,Liddell)..and it's kinda hard not to fall in their trap..i think Aoki would do very GOOD in the states..he's one of the very few Japanese fighters who would do fairly well here..with that said..we'll see how good he does against Melendez..i think Coker said something bout em' fighting each other sometime in 1st/2nd QT of this year..either that or he's gonna go against Kawajiri...
xdanish020
12/31/09 2:38:30PM
Please come to the UFC so BJ can murder him.

I'd even love to see Melendez vs. Aoki
mojo
12/31/09 2:59:04PM
I don't see Aoki as being that disrespectful. I think his actions after were more based on the fact that Hirota refused to tap and force him to take the submission that far. Just tap and live to fight another day, its not worth it.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
12/31/09 3:01:22PM
that submission win was pretty f'n good, that being said I want Melendez or Aoki vs Penn/Florian/ some one from the top 5 UFC
roadking95th
12/31/09 3:15:03PM
Where's the outrage for Aoki's celebration? Brock caught hell for his.

I have no problem with the snap, it's the middle finger in Hirota's face and to the crowd that should be the story.
kopower
12/31/09 5:14:22PM

Posted by roadking95th

Where's the outrage for Aoki's celebration? Brock caught hell for his.

I have no problem with the snap, it's the middle finger in Hirota's face and to the crowd that should be the story.

Btw, if Aoki fought Penn, watch the Maia/Marquardt fight to see what would happen to good ol' Shinya
Cdellorso
12/31/09 5:57:52PM
People were looking for reasons to hate Brock especially the ELITE mma fan who hates a slappy nuthugger.... Bottom line Shinyas and Brocks actions are poor representation of the sport and of sportsmanship as well- The sports needs all the positive PR it can get- WWE and TNA and whatever are there for those who want the goof ball antics... Someone with 1/2 way decent JJ defense would beat Shinya maybe a Clay guida - Definately BJ or Kenny
IriShame
12/31/09 6:52:33PM
Yeah, there's no way he gets by a guy like B.J. or even Frankie Edgar or Gray Maynard for that matter. I don't think he could take those guys down and he'd be forced to stand and get punched a lot. Outside of the UFC he could do pretty well but I don't see him getting by Melendez or Thomson so... He's pretty good but he's not great.
Gladiator
12/31/09 7:07:24PM
So what was the deal with the post fight outburst? i dont know a whole lot about aoki outside the ring, but it seemed a little out of character to me. Did the other guy say something before the fight or has aoki just been watching too much ufc 100?
telnights
12/31/09 7:19:01PM
Yeah his actions defiantly put a black mark and what was a good win. I'm sad to see him acting that way it was very disrespectful and just very poor sportsmanship. I would like to see him in the states against top 10 fighters and see how he does. I have a feeling he wont fair so well.
prozacnation1978
12/31/09 7:50:48PM
breaking someone's arm and then flipping him off is pretty bad
mentalcase
12/31/09 8:16:07PM
anyone know why aoki did what he did, was there bad blood? where they talking **** to each other leading up to the fight?
jae_1833
12/31/09 8:46:48PM
I personally don't care.....if you act like a %&^%& then you should expect to be flamed. Good job on the fight, bad job on the attitude!
Pookie
12/31/09 9:17:35PM

Posted by mentalcase

anyone know why aoki did what he did, was there bad blood? where they talking **** to each other leading up to the fight?

Im sure it stems from the Hirota v. Kitoaka fight, Aoki and kitaoka are training partners.
EliasG
1/1/10 12:20:29AM

Posted by Cdellorso

People were looking for reasons to hate Brock especially the ELITE mma fan who hates a slappy nuthugger.... Bottom line Shinyas and Brocks actions are poor representation of the sport and of sportsmanship as well- The sports needs all the positive PR it can get- WWE and TNA and whatever are there for those who want the goof ball antics... Someone with 1/2 way decent JJ defense would beat Shinya maybe a Clay guida - Definately BJ or Kenny

I agree. It's n ot cool. But I think people aren't hating because frankly...Aoki has never done something like this before. He just isn't the big bad talker, mean type of guy....or at least hasn't seemed that way so I think people are shocked, confused....and MOST IMPORTANLTY---haven't seen it. ;)

I watched it online and I was like...what? What just happened? Did he? Wierd...

His subs are amazing though. I would like to see him come to the US and fight Melendez or Thompson but truthfully, I think he can't beat Penn. Watching his takedowns you realize that he would have incredible difficulty taking down penn. Granted, Aoki's advantave is length though. He has long arms and legs and that can allow him to take someone down even when it doesn't appear that his 'shot' is that great. Still....I'd like to see that fight.
Sir_Karl
1/1/10 1:22:55AM
It doesn't surprise me when Americans act like that....I am very shocked that a Japanese fighter would act so foolish though.
mentalcase
1/1/10 6:01:05AM
im a little surprised by the general reaction to aoki unsportsmanlike antics, like yeah big deal he fliped him off after the fight maybe he shouldn't have talked smack to him before the fight

im a mir fan and i dont hate brock cause he dissed him after the fight i find it entertaining that these guys have so much passion and thats why we watch this **** to be entertained

so i think alot of you guy need to get off your high horse and just enjoy the show
Giant_Ochai
1/1/10 11:19:07AM
I'd rather see someone act truthfully than be a fake ass nice guy all the time.
roadking95th
1/1/10 11:42:57AM
I would like to re-iterate some things.

Definitely have no problem with the sub. The other guy refused to tap, so what are you to do?

Even the middle fingers, I am not too upset about. In fact, I'd rather know that what I am getting is genuine. I'd rather know if someone is a dousche or not. That being said, I believe this was way out of character for Aoki and a heat of the moment thing. I'll give him a pass. With Brock, that is part of his competitive side, I believe. I wish he wouldn't do it, but..eh. I don't take Brock as being a total dousche because of the way he is outside of the ring and not leading up to a fight.

What I had a major beef with was there was no outrage in the article about his post fight antics. I believed their was a mention of it, but not on the same level as Brock received.

Some other points made on here. Aoki would be very competitive in the US. Top 3? I don't believe consistently. However I believe he would have many intrigueing match-ups. Og course he would be forced to revamp his game, so who knows. Obvisously he has skills and I am sure he could develope different ones for the octagon.
FilipovicFan
1/1/10 1:06:23PM
Guida?

Have you watched the Aoki JZ fight?

Saying anyone with half way decent JJ defense would beat Aoki is stupid.

Aoki doesn't need to submit people, did you watch him attach himself to JZ?

jgtribbett
1/1/10 5:24:41PM
thats two people so far... to my knowledge anyway. breaking someones arm (unless they just dont tap) is unsportsmanlike and just a straight dick move.
tcunningham
1/1/10 6:34:23PM
i didnt like his antics but im over it. as for fighting in the states....first off Penn would murder him. aoki's got the best ground game in japan but Penn in my opinion has one of the best ground game and take down defense in the WORLD. not to mention having some of the best boxing in the game too. Being #1 in japan is like being #7 in the U.S.
jiujitsufreak74
1/1/10 11:33:49PM

Posted by jgtribbett

thats two people so far... to my knowledge anyway. breaking someones arm (unless they just dont tap) is unsportsmanlike and just a straight dick move.

well he didn't tap so i don't see the point of this
lohmann
1/2/10 12:16:19AM

Posted by mentalcase

im a little surprised by the general reaction to aoki unsportsmanlike antics, like yeah big deal he fliped him off after the fight maybe he shouldn't have talked smack to him before the fight

im a mir fan and i dont hate brock cause he dissed him after the fight i find it entertaining that these guys have so much passion and thats why we watch this **** to be entertained

so i think alot of you guy need to get off your high horse and just enjoy the show

Hirota really didn't talk much smack before the fight; it was mostly "I want to show Aoki who I am" with Aoki being dismissive of Hirota, pretending he had no idea who the Sengoku lightweight champion was.

Aoki's broken arms before, both in grappling contests and MMA events. I think it's tolerable to break a limb to win a fight, but it was obvious, evidenced by a middle finger, in this case that he wanted to break an arm and did not absolutely need to in order to secure a victory. There's a great difference between "I want to win" and "I want to hurt him," and any fighter that succumbs to personal animosity and inflicts egregious and unwarranted harm in a professional setting, even MMA, is acting unsportsmanlike.
EliasG
1/2/10 1:12:37AM
This IS a sport not a street fight so I'm a huge proponent of sportsmanship. It's pretty easy to go out and beat people up in a street with a group of your friends and stand over top of them and talk trash, flip them off, etc... but this isn't a street fight outside of a bar. It's a sport where people train hard, have to follow rules, and try to eke out a living. While Aoki went down 'character wise' in my view, it doesnt' change that his break didn't have much to do with sportsmanship since the guy simply didn't tap. You can't just let up because you think a guy might not tap...plus..he didn't break his arm, he dislocated the elbow from what I read...and what it looked like....so the dude probably thought, it's just pain, it's just pain," and then bam...the arm no longer works....(looked naasssty)

What followed was bad and like I said I don't like it, but Aoki is pretty chill on everything else. I did cross him off of my christmas card list though and in truth I hope he never repeats that. If NFL, NBA, and any other major sports fine for bad sportmanship, I think MMA should too. There is a traditin of honor and respect in the martial arts simply because it is so dangerous and costly for its practitioners. I think all fighters should be honored with respect.
Cdellorso
1/10/10 12:03:45AM
no I dont know who JZ the MMA fighter is just big pimpen beyonce dating Dynasty rolling Rockawear toting JZ but I will look it up- as far as Guida- Maybe I exagerated a bit but until I am proven wrong- and he steps into a VERY deep 155 ufc division and kicks ass- I stand by my opinion that he would los to all top 10 UFC 155 ers and probably to 3 out of 5 of the 11-15 guys....
ps dont call my opinions stupid.... They are very fragile right now...