Antonio Silva to Sign With Sengoku, Flout Suspension and Fight January 4

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Antonio Silva to Sign With Sengoku, Flout Suspension and Fight January 4
MMAcca
11/13/08 1:16:57AM
Tatame.com is reporting (in Portuguese, translation via Google):

Suspended by the athletic committee of the United States on charges of doping, Antonio (Silva) can not fight in America before July 28, 2009, when it was terminating the suspension. After losing in the courts of the athletic commission, also saw the EliteXC, an event in which Silva was heavyweight champion, close the doors. With that the athlete had to get out of ATT demand for a new home, which has everything to be in Japan "I'm negotiating my way to Japan The Sengoku made me an offer to fight on January 4 and we are seeing that, "said Peza, who is entering the common justice against the athletic commission.

Pretty garbled, but the gist is clear. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva is considering violating his California suspension and fighting in Japan as early as January.

LINK
grappler0000
11/13/08 1:45:31AM
I'm sure he could be a big draw in Japan, but I wouldn't piss of the AC in Cali if he plans on fighting there again.
Wolfenstein
11/13/08 1:50:10AM
I think it's a mistake, although I won't pretend that I'm not sure what the exact consequences could be. I for one believe he didn't take steroids, so I understand his frustration to get back out there. Either way he'd be a huge hit in Japan.
emfleek
11/13/08 11:42:21AM
If you're going to make your own bed, be prepared to lie in it...
ncordless
11/13/08 2:39:07PM
The simple truth is that Antonio Silva can make more money in Japan. I hope he realizes that he will probably never fight in Cali again, but in the end his better career move is Japan.
Twenty20Dollars
11/13/08 3:12:27PM
what other big org fights in Cali though? Im sure he can avoid fighting in Cali easily.
FantasyFighter
11/13/08 4:11:22PM
Forgive me if this question seems stupid, but how can the CSAC regulate what he does in another country? I understand that other states in the US hold up a suspension issued by another state athletic commision and that they have an agreement for that. But is the fighting in Japan even regulated at all? I dont hear about fighters being suspended in Japan and that suspension being upheld here in the states. I just dont see how that argument would go, other than something like this...

CSAC: We are not renewing your license after your 1yr suspension because you fought in Japan while suspended.

AS: Me?! I didnt fight over there. You cant prove that. Must have been some other Bigfoot Silva guy.

CSAC: No it was you. We know because we talked to the Japan Athletic Commision and... wait... umm... CRAP
IriShame
11/13/08 9:49:33PM
I think Silva could be very popular in Japan and it's probably the best career move for him. Having said that, by flouting the suspension he is effectively saying that he is going to stay in Japan for the remainder of his career. The only problem I see with that is that if he wants to negotiate a new contract somewhere down the road it takes a lot of leverage away when Sengoku knows that you can't go back to an American organization. God forbid Dream folds, then you're really stuck. In the long run it might be better to just wait this one out.
cmill21
11/13/08 10:14:21PM

Posted by IriShame

I think Silva could be very popular in Japan and it's probably the best career move for him. Having said that, by flouting the suspension he is effectively saying that he is going to stay in Japan for the remainder of his career. The only problem I see with that is that if he wants to negotiate a new contract somewhere down the road it takes a lot of leverage away when Sengoku knows that you can't go back to an American organization. God forbid Dream folds, then you're really stuck. In the long run it might be better to just wait this one out.

Unless Sengoku folds there will always be an MMA promotion under FEG.
bls1919
11/14/08 6:47:16PM
As long as he is ready to fofeit fighting in the US. I say go for it. I think if he "crosses the AC in Cali it will dificult for him to be licensed any where in the U.S. Unless he tranforms into a Fedor clone and is a huge draw. ......Wow that was some good stuff earlier