Antonio Nogueria has walked the walk

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Antonio Nogueria has walked the walk
gimmper
3/11/07 12:59:25AM
I hear about every HW but one..... he lurks in the shadows...he's under the radar....He has never been submitted...never been ko'd....fought everyone they put in front of him...He only has 4 losses to 3 men...avenged 2... and lost two close decisions to Fedor. He is without a doubt the strongest third contender out there and "IMO" (not to offend anybody) could very well be the most underated fighter in the game...Any Insight?
hippysmacker
3/11/07 4:50:20AM
I don't think he's underrated, just underappreciated. He the # 2 #3heavyweight in the world to most people. Also, I think he has the best chin I've seen.
mkiv9secsupra
3/11/07 5:07:57AM
i tend to underestimate a lot of BJJ guys bc i just dont understand the submission game as well as i can predict what a striker or wrestler will do... but yeah he is a one tough guy.
Buddharox
3/11/07 7:56:28AM
He's #2/3 on most people's lists, I don't call that very underrated. I'm sure a lot of people thought he would win the OWGP last summer too.
wkm311
3/11/07 1:00:48PM

Posted by gimmper

I hear about every HW but one..... he lurks in the shadows...he's under the radar....He has never been submitted...never been ko'd....fought everyone they put in front of him...He only has 4 losses to 3 men...avenged 2... and lost two close decisions to Fedor. He is without a doubt the strongest third contender out there and "IMO" (not to offend anybody) could very well be the most underated fighter in the game...Any Insight?

I dont think hes underrated, and not only never been knocked out, but he took a CC high kick to the dome and recovered, that is one hell of a jaw. I agree that he is probably the 3rd best HW out there...
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/11/07 1:43:02PM

Posted by gimmper

I thought the same kind of stuff about his brother....lol
pv3Hpv3p
3/12/07 6:01:38PM
I don't want to argue the meaning of 'under-rated', so I will just whole heartedly agree with you...

Big Nog has always impressed me, one of my favorite fighters of all time, a lot of casual fans just don't know who he is...

I would love to see what a genuinly tough guy like him (with his rediculous ground skills) could do in the UFC's HW div... I don't know why, but I've always wanted to see BigTim / BigNog (even though it has lost a little luster since Sylvia just lost)
gimmper
3/12/07 10:00:37PM
Thank you for the insight ...when I say under-rated I misspoke...I just dont hear alot about him...like i said he almost flys under the radar most of the time
CountryBreakfast
3/13/07 10:58:13PM
its not that he's underated he just has taken a backseat to fedor latelly
roman
3/14/07 11:11:54AM
I got what you are saying. Like when I talk to my friends about MMA (TUF generation) they have no idea who he is. And hippysmacker I agree that he has the chin of a god.
MurillaNinjaScrilla
3/15/07 12:34:02AM
I will never understand how anyone could rank Cro-cop over Nog. Nog defeated Cro-Cop while taking many strikes that could easily nockout many of the best in MMA. Nog has never been KO/TKO'd, submitted, or lose by unanimous decision except to Fedor. He has survived ground and pound by Fedor and a left high kick from Cro-cop that hit perfectly. Bottom line-> if there is an argument on who is a better fighter, the only true way is for them to fight.
johny_rotten
3/15/07 12:43:53AM
Someone stated it perfectly. He is overshadowed by Fedor. Cro Cop understood this, and left. As long as Fedor is in the game every HW is under the rador. Not only is he the best HW in the world there isn't even a compelling match up for him. It is like MJ when he was in his prime.

I also think Nog's game has alot to do with it. The majority of fans of MMA want the KO. They don't understand that Nog's submission game is probably the best MMA has ever seen. It isn't as sexy as Cro Cop or Chuck knocking someone in to next week.
kerazzle
3/15/07 11:50:49PM

Posted by gimmper

Those decisions he lost to fedor werent close at all, infact, thats probably the worst anyone has ever lost in a decision fight especially the first one.
johny_rotten
3/16/07 12:05:30AM

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by gimmper

Those decisions he lost to fedor werent close at all, infact, thats probably the worst anyone has ever lost in a decision fight especially the first one.

And how many people looked good when they went up against Fedor? And how many others have actully made it to the end of the 3rd round with Fedor? Let me answer for you. Question 1: 0 Question 2: 5 (3 in Rings where you couldn't punch a downed man in the face.)
kerazzle
3/16/07 1:05:03AM

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by gimmper

And how many people looked good when they went up against Fedor? And how many others have actully made it to the end of the 3rd round with Fedor? Let me answer for you. Question 1: 0 Question 2: 5 (3 in Rings where you couldn't punch a downed man in the face.)

Are u serious man? Can you read? Im not talking about who has looked good against Fedor. The threadstarter said that Nogueira lost 2 "close" decisions. I am m erely stating that they weren't close, he lost them by a landslide. Im not knockin Nog though he's a tough bastard and top 3 right now. He's great, one of my favourites but he didnt lose a close decision to Fedor.