Antonio Margarito Suspended in Hand Wrap Probe

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Antonio Margarito Suspended in Hand Wrap Probe
MMAcca
1/29/09 1:48:24PM
Antonio Margarito Suspended in Hand Wrap Probe

Former welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito's license was suspended by the California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday while it investigates a plaster-like substance found under the boxer's hand wraps before his loss last weekend to Shane Mosley.

The commission also suspended the license of Margarito's trainer Javier Capetillo and asked both to appear at a hearing on Feb. 10.

The substance was bagged as evidence before the bout last Saturday at Staples Center and was being analyzed by the California Department of Justice, the commission said. The panel was still investigating whether any rules were violated.

Commission chairman Tim Noonan said the investigation stems from a commission rule that limits the amount and type of gauze and tape allowed under a fighter's glove. He said the commission has authority to discipline athletes when their actions are a "discredit to boxing." Reprimands could include fines, suspensions or revocation of licenses.

The commission did not say how long the investigation would last.

LINK
bojangalz
1/29/09 1:56:15PM
I'm not a boxing guy, but from what I've heard about this so far, it's a pretty damn big deal. You gotta wonder how some of his most recent opponents are feeling right now.
emfleek
1/29/09 1:57:26PM

Posted by MMAcca

Ban him for life for knowingly and deliberately endangering the lives of every fighter he's fought. You can't convince me that this is the first time he's ever done it.
nastshabast
1/29/09 1:59:24PM
reminds me of the CSI where the dude had mercury in his gloves.
loller90278
1/29/09 2:07:12PM
akiyama in japan is equivalent to margarito in the US.
MMAcca
1/29/09 2:08:54PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by MMAcca

Ban him for life for knowingly and deliberately endangering the lives of every fighter he's fought. You can't convince me that this is the first time he's ever done it.

Red-Dragon
1/29/09 2:09:21PM
Good job he wasnt able to hit Mosely much.
Wolfenstein
1/29/09 3:50:44PM
Agreed, he should face a long-time-ban, if not permanent. Some people are making excuses for him, like maybe he didn't know and this falls on the guy wrapping his hands--but I just can't believe a boxing pro wouldn't notice the difference in his wraps...like hey I thought these plastic wads always came in hand wraps!

Wasn't there a boxer a while ago that supposedly had casts for hand wraps, or something on the wraps that when coagulated with sweat would harden the wraps into a cast? I'm pretty sure there was and the fighter later died, and the boxer later revealed this intel to the widow.

I think this guy is done fighting in the US. Even if they only suspend him, Ican't imagine him coming back and shedding himself of this stigma that will follow him around the rest of his career.
Pookie
1/29/09 6:01:19PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Good job he wasnt able to hit Mosely much.

i believe they caught him doing it before the mosley fight.

The announcers were talking about it and they stated he wasnt using the same wraps for the mosley match.
FrankTheTank1181
1/29/09 8:26:05PM

Posted by nastshabast

reminds me of the CSI where the dude had mercury in his gloves.

I was thinking the same thing.
jiujitsufreak74
1/29/09 8:42:20PM
could someone tell me the dangers/advantage he was getting by doing this?
Wolfenstein
1/29/09 9:19:27PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

It's basically making your gloves harder. It becomes more pronounced as a fight wears on and the foam loses is stiffness. Then he's just basically punching him with a cast of hardened plastic instead of his fist.
Pookie
1/29/09 9:22:35PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

It's basically making your gloves harder. It becomes more pronounced as a fight wears on and the foam loses is stiffness. Then he's just basically punching him with a cast of hardened plastic instead of his fist.

And if you watch the Margarito - Cotto fight you can see how that significantly affected that fight.
roadking95th
1/29/09 10:46:50PM
If he used this during the fight, I say jail time.
Amigop
1/29/09 11:16:00PM

Posted by roadking95th

If he used this during the fight, I say jail time.

for what though? i agree that its messed up and he deserves it, but what would they charge him with?
Svartorm
1/29/09 11:23:49PM
Assault with a deadly weapon. Its illegal to hit someone with sap gloves, brass knuckles, or a hand pack. It won't happen, it there could be a case.

In other news, thanks to Mosley for winning me money on a +1000 bet that he ends it by KO.