Anthony Pettis' Striking Coach Duke Roufus Talks About 'Showtime' Kick

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anthony Pettis' Striking Coach Duke Roufus Talks About 'Showtime' Kick
BlueSkiesBurn
12/17/10 3:50:54PM
It was the Kick Heard 'Round the World, a climbing, twisting, off-the-wall, out-of-the-video-games-and-into-Ben-Henderson's-face, mind-scrambler of a strike in the 25th and final minute of a WEC championship match that shot Anthony Pettis into the consciousness of sports fans everywhere.

While his aim is to stay there for more than just one night, it's safe to say that regardless of his future, the 23-year-old cemented himself a place in MMA history by authoring one of the sport's most incredible moments.

Link

I want more!!!
tcunningham
12/17/10 5:19:16PM
sickest kick ive ever seen
cowcatcher
12/17/10 5:26:17PM
It looked like he tried something I've only seen done at practice during the fight, but it lead to a TD. When Bendo had double underhooks while they were against the fence it looked like Showtime tried to push both Bendo's hands down and jump out of his grip It didn't work and he ended up getting taken down, but watch for that one again, I'm sure he's going to go to the well on that one again.
RyanC
12/17/10 5:29:42PM

Posted by tcunningham

I just got done watching the fight and I'm going to watch it again later. Most unbelievable thing I've ever seen. I'm bummed Benson lost, but damn was that kick ridiculous.
Aether
12/17/10 6:18:56PM
The only way that could've been any crazier was if Henderson was knocked out cold by it. It really was like something out of a movie fight scene where you would say "pffft as if that would ever happen in real life"
State_Champ
12/17/10 6:47:26PM

Posted by Aether

The only way that could've been any crazier was if Henderson was knocked out cold by it. It really was like something out of a movie fight scene where you would say "pffft as if that would ever happen in real life"

Or if Pettis had done A) a back-flip kick
B) A 360 while in the air
BigBadAl
12/17/10 6:48:41PM

Posted by tcunningham

Sickest MOVE I've ever seen in a real fight, PERIOD!!
bjj1605
12/17/10 9:51:45PM
I just found out that I went to school with Anthony Pettis' cousin, because his cousin is going around bragging about this kick.
bojangalz
12/18/10 1:23:43AM
Yeah, that kick was insane. Right up there with Toby Imada's standing inverted triangle as far as highlights that I've sen since I started following the sport.

The only thing that really sad about the kick is the fact that it's going to be replayed for the rest of time with Stephen Bonnar on color commentary. "like a ninja." That's just retarded (no offense to retarded people mind you). But really?! That's the best we can do in that instance? When you think of some of the greatest sports plays in history- the "Down goes Fraiser!"s of the world; "Like a ninja" just seems to fall a bit short.
postman
12/18/10 8:41:15AM

Posted by bojangalz

Yeah, that kick was insane. Right up there with Toby Imada's standing inverted triangle as far as highlights that I've sen since I started following the sport.

The only thing that really sad about the kick is the fact that it's going to be replayed for the rest of time with Stephen Bonnar on color commentary. "like a ninja." That's just retarded (no offense to retarded people mind you). But really?! That's the best we can do in that instance? When you think of some of the greatest sports plays in history- the "Down goes Fraiser!"s of the world; "Like a ninja" just seems to fall a bit short.

Agreed but his immediate reaction screaming over the top of Todd Harris was pretty much everyones first reaction so we have that to run with.
RhythmAndStyle
12/18/10 8:52:26AM

Posted by cowcatcher

It looked like he tried something I've only seen done at practice during the fight, but it lead to a TD. When Bendo had double underhooks while they were against the fence it looked like Showtime tried to push both Bendo's hands down and jump out of his grip It didn't work and he ended up getting taken down, but watch for that one again, I'm sure he's going to go to the well on that one again.

yea i also noticed that..as my face was straight glued to the t.v..he always shows things that u never seen before in a REAL fight..like the Roller match, when he did those kicks, n to even do those u have to touch the ground wit a hand(u have to see it to understand or if u remember it)..i have never pickd against Showtime till this fight..but Henderson gon win two FotY awards..cuz i think he won FotY wit Cerrone n now one wit Showtime, nice!..excited for all three of those guys to enter the ufc lw division..the most entertainin division jus got upgraded w/o needin it...