Anthony Pettis Will Fight Again Instead of Waiting for Edgar or Maynard

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anthony Pettis Will Fight Again Instead of Waiting for Edgar or Maynard
pmoney
1/8/11 10:39:45AM
The draw between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard at UFC 125 will mean a trilogy between the two lightweight competitors will happen in 2011, but it also means the last WEC champion Anthony Pettis is left out of the title picture for the time being.

Now it appears Pettis will not wait around for a title shot, and will fight again before challenging Edgar or Maynard.

Article
Franklinfan47
1/8/11 12:19:29PM
Interesting. I wonder if they'll give him a legit opponent or a simple tune up before Edgar/Maynard.
jjeans
1/8/11 12:43:10PM
Pettis Vs Guida
Twenty20Dollars
1/8/11 12:59:19PM
I doubt they give him a contender because I would hate to see Pettis possible lose the fight and title shot.
sbulldavid
1/8/11 1:13:51PM
I think he needs to fight Miller or Sotiropoulos for that slot if he needs to wait, or else you got two guys that have earned their spot waiting for another year.
Pskinner_mma314
1/8/11 2:44:02PM
he needs to wait until maynard vs edgar, and in the middle of the fight run into the cage wwe style, chuck norris roundhouse kick both of em, then steal the belt and run.............not really

I'd say give em guida, but i don't want the wec crossover to miss out on his shot for the belt like condit and cantwell did, and guida tends to be a spoiler. I really think he should wait, but props for wanting to get back in there quick and not get rusty. he just better not blow it
BigCountryFedor
1/8/11 2:54:45PM
That's not fair. Maynard had his shot and he failed, granted he arguably should have gotten the belt but Pettis was promised his shot and I hate to see zuffa pull the same crap on Pettis that they did to Hendo and Okami etc.
xburbx
1/8/11 3:00:02PM
i say pettis gets the shot only if he promises to deliver another ninja move in the fight.
BigIP
1/8/11 9:14:35PM
I say Give him Big Daddy, Sherk or Gomi.
CCPRIDE99
1/8/11 9:56:55PM
danzig
DevonFoxy
1/8/11 10:20:11PM
I understand the complaints with fighting instead of waiting but Pettis is a young kid that is only going to get better with more and more experience. He believes he's the best in the world and wants to prove that. Good for him. I'm sure his thinking is if he doesn't beat the guy he's going to fight instead he doesn't deserve the title shot anyway. I like him more and more the more that comes out about him.
tcunningham
1/8/11 11:25:08PM
i dont blame the guy. i think the WEC guys really want to get their fights in the UFC and if pettis has to wait till after the rematch he could be out for like a year. hes better off staying busy and stayin sharp.
pmoney
1/9/11 1:58:40AM
What if Pettis loses though? Will they never do the WEC/UFC Lightweight Championship unification match?
1daveufc
1/9/11 3:25:21AM

Posted by jjeans

Pettis Vs Guida

You beat me to it a think this shud be the number 1 contender fight as well cause if clay wins he wud of won his last 4.
Aether
1/9/11 9:41:09AM

Posted by BigCountryFedor

That's not fair. Maynard had his shot and he failed, granted he arguably should have gotten the belt but Pettis was promised his shot and I hate to see zuffa pull the same crap on Pettis that they did to Hendo and Okami etc.

What "crap" exactly did they pull with hendo and okami? Giving Hendo immediate back to back title shots at 2 different weight classes? Okami injuring himself? I'm pretty sure the UFC didn't send someone out to injure Okami, it's not remotely their fault if a fighter who is in contention gets injured.
RyanC
1/9/11 9:43:07AM

Posted by BigCountryFedor

How did Maynard fail exactly?
prozacnation1978
1/9/11 3:58:41PM
Curious who they feed him
They don't need another grispi fiasco where he was number one
Took a easy match and lost

I think pettis may get a danzig or sam stout

Someone middle tier with a name like joe stevenson

I doubt he fights a florian, sherk or guida