Anthony Johnson vs. Tommy Speer

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anthony Johnson vs. Tommy Speer
Assassins_Creed
4/8/08 3:53:57AM
Well all this talk about race and ethnicity. Truthfully speaking we might have a “black” person ( half african, half irish) running this country. So take all that in consideration. This comments on race and ethnicity is answers I gave to mmatko.com when this fight became about race. Search this same post on mmatko.com.
Now to comment on just anthony johnson.It should have been knockout of the night by far!! **** that weak ass James Irvin shit!!! 8 seconds of Houston being rocked!! 8 seconds of tom speer being slept!! comparison. I’ve been reading comments on sherdog, here, mmaplayground, etc… Real talk main reason we are commentating is because this is one of the greatest knockouts in mma history. U look at the technique and the pure barbaric nature of the ko and that was a work of ******’ art. It was not only a prelim, but it opened the night. Im not one of these people jockin’ him (no homo) or hatin’ on cat just because he got subbed by rich clementi, but real talk this dude at the very least creates an excitement and real striker threat in an every-other-skill-set dominated division. You have everything in this division except a one punch knockout striker. GSP is the total package, but he is not going to dominate like an Anderson Silva or possible Rampage. With that said AJ and BJ have the only legit shot at taking GSP’s crown!! He also has to get past Matt Serra 1st. I’m pumped. I really don’t like any other welter beside when BJ is at 170. So Rumble young man Rumble!!! Comments anyone??
ufcboss
4/8/08 4:05:17AM
About the KO thing, Irvin tied for the quickest KO in UFC history, Thats gotta be KO of the night!!
I dont know if I was the only one thinking this way, But Tommy spears is a Lay'n Pray fighter, His fights on TUF where all lackluster, And I expected his last fight to be the same aswell, But he got KTFO. All that happened there was he got exposed that he has no real talent other than wrestling, He looked horrible!! It was a sweet KO, But it didnt mean squat!

I got a feeling he will be cut from the UFC, And Houston too.
NatedawgThaM
4/8/08 4:05:45AM
Don't forget about Marcus Davis, the only other welterweight with one punch KO power, but with the rest I agree!!!

Let's all forget about the Rich Clementi fight because A. It wasn't at 170, it was 165 or 155. B. Anthony took it on one or two weeks notice so he didn't have the proper time to cut weight so him gassing shouldn't have surprised anybody and also anybody can get submitted or KO'd when their gassed.

He's a serious threat at 170 to anybody. I definitely agree that was one of the most brutal KO's I have ever seen. He has the perfect style to rule 170. He's an athletic striker and a good wrestler. He could rule the division like Chuck except he actually has technique with his striking! 170 is all wrestlers/grapplers anyways so with that great sprawl on Tommy Speer not to mention that sick KO power. I fear for all the grapplers in the division with barely decent striking.

WAR JOHNSON!!!
chubbud22
4/8/08 4:19:21AM
Dude that Irvin knock out was definatly the ko of the night, it tied a record dude, and I don't completely understand what you are talking about with the race thing. Are you trying to say Irvin got more credit for his KO cause he is white if you are I totally disagree.
Twenty20Dollars
4/8/08 7:46:45AM
I liked johnson's knockout more than irvin's there wasnt a situation with it. Because Johnson really had tommy speer out.

But everyone should watch for this guy anthony johnson.
ToeZup
4/8/08 9:04:21AM
I agree I think the AJ knock out was the KO of the night because there was no controvercy. AJ will be a contender no doubt. I think he needs a few more fights and some more training but his size and athletic ability springboard him above a lot of other fighters.
stock
4/8/08 9:07:05AM
I enjoyed the Johnson KO much more, but it is hard to not give KO of the night to a 8 second KO.

I have no idea what that "racist" comment in your post had to do with anything. Am I missing something here? Where did that come from?

BTW, not sure what irritates me more. Racists.
OR
People that complain about others being racists.
Twenty20Dollars
4/8/08 9:16:02AM
its kansas bitches
kevietre
4/8/08 10:21:24AM
This is crazy. The guy Knocked Out Tommy Speer!!!!!!!! not Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, Diego, or Chris Lytle. He get's two quick knock outs, not to mention submitted by a true 155 pounder in Rich Clementi and people think he's a threat to GSP. Johnson's ground game is questionable and GSP would maul Johnson. GSP has more technical standup and a better all around game. Maybe in a couple years Johnson will be a threat but no time soon.
stock
4/8/08 10:43:33AM

Posted by kevietre

This is crazy. The guy Knocked Out Tommy Speer!!!!!!!! not Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, Diego, or Chris Lytle. He get's two quick knock outs, not to mention submitted by a true 155 pounder in Rich Clementi and people think he's a threat to GSP. Johnson's ground game is questionable and GSP would maul Johnson. GSP has more technical standup and a better all around game. Maybe in a couple years Johnson will be a threat but no time soon.

I agree. It is amazying how drastically people's opinions change from just 1 fight.
This is no different than me coming to work on Monday and everyone is all of a sudden comparing the Memphis Tigers to the fab 5.

Now don't get me wrong. I am very excited to see Johnson fight again, but I would not even think of mentioning him in the same breath as GSP.
AchillesHeel
4/8/08 11:10:34AM

Posted by stock

I agree. It is amazying how drastically people's opinions change from just 1 fight.

It's also fairly predictable, but I really don't see anything wrong with it. If people want to get excited about Brandon Vera, Sokoudjou, Houston Alexander, Anthony Johnson, or anybody else after a couple of exciting wins, I say "sure, why not?" It's a spectator sport, right? They're fun to watch, and I'll make more money when (the next) Brandon Vera is getting favorites odds against (the next) Tim Sylvia.
wolfman
4/8/08 12:19:31PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I liked johnson's knockout more than irvin's there wasnt a situation with it. Because Johnson really had tommy speer out.

But everyone should watch for this guy anthony johnson.

This guy is still claiming Houston wasn't out.
NatedawgThaM
4/8/08 1:22:00PM

Posted by kevietre

Dude, Anthony Johnson does not fight at 155 pounds. He took that fight on 1 or 2 weeks noticed at a weight below his normal weight and didn't have the proper time to cut weight and the reason he lossed is because he gassed so quickly and everybody can get submitted when they are gassed. And him getting gassed is understandable since he didn't have enough time to make weight.

I have to disagree on the GSP stand up thing too. GSP hasn't beaten a great striker yet and Johnson looks like a great striker with his power and then long reach. He has GSP's reach but with one punch KO power. And GSP's chin is still suspect IMO since he has never been hit by a strong punch besides Serra and look what happened their. I think Anthony could put him out

Anthony Johnson is not no Houston Alexander, trust me. He is a good wrestler and Houston would have never sprawled out of a Tommy Speer takedown. Yeah it was just Tommy Speer but Tommy Speer is just as strong a wrestler as GSP, Fitch, Diego, Kos, Hughes with that freak farm boy strength and Anthony sprawled pretty nicely a few times, not just once.
ocho-cinco
4/8/08 1:27:16PM
Anthony Johnson kinda reminds me of Melvin Guillard, you no except for being crazy and emotionally unstable. I think he has a real chance to be a star in the UFC if can develop really good takedown and submission defence. I didn't see the fight where he was sub'd by Clementi, but he is still a young fighter and getting sub'd by a guy like rich, while he is still learing could be helpfull in the long run. I hope Johnson gets a better test next fight, as I'm looking forward to seeing more of this guy.
stock
4/8/08 3:17:27PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Anthony Johnson is not no Houston Alexander, trust me.

I agree.
lol
tberg420
4/8/08 3:23:20PM
Anthony Johnson has a decent wrestling background which is something that most people didn't realize going into that fight. That's why I picked him and I really enjoy him fighting. He rocked Clementi in that fight and had a kimura at one point. He had bad positioning and got caught. While he isn't a threat at the moment for any title, he sure is exciting and that gets a lot of attention. In response to the One Punch KO thing, it doesn't matter if you have that or not, punches in bunches are just as deadly as one punch.
jiujitsufreak74
4/8/08 3:28:19PM
He beat an over hyped Tommy Speer who was completely outclassed by Mac Danzig who is a LW. i mean not to take anything away from the guy but it isn't like he KOed a top 10 WW, or even a top 30 WW for that matter. now he did look impressive and he is explosive, but like others have alluded to in this thread already it is funny how people jump to conclusions after 1fight. look at Houston...perfect example. he did the same thing only to a better opponent. he came out and scored an explosive KO. then everyone was all over him, making claims and then what happened down the road? He gets KOed twice in two devastating fashions and don't give me that BS that he wasn't out because he definitely was and if he wasn't he would have been seriously injured with Irvin on top of him pounding away. I am just going to say, don't drink the kool-aid just yet. yes he looked good, but against meager competition. i tip my hat to the man but let's not get ahead of ourselves now. i need to see him against a top 15 WW before i start making any claims about his future.

And for the record, as NateDawg said Marcus Davis definitely has one punch KO power...even more so then Johnson imho.
IriShame
4/8/08 3:39:06PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by kevietre

Yeah it was just Tommy Speer but Tommy Speer is just as strong a wrestler as GSP, Fitch, Diego, Kos, Hughes with that freak farm boy strength and Anthony sprawled pretty nicely a few times, not just once.

Look, Tommy Speer is not as strong of a wrestler as GSP or Hughes. Just because wrestling is his strength doesn't mean he can hang with those guys. I would say he's more similar to Koscheck a few years ago before he developed his striking.

Also, let's not get carried away because a welterweight finally KO'd somebody. Johnson's got power, he's showed that. However, until I see him demonstrate some submission defense and continue to show that sprawl on a consistent basis I'm not sold. He has potential I agree but he's not ready to fight any top tier opponents just yet.

I think a fight with a guy like Chris Lytle would be both entertaining for the fans and good for his developement.
tberg420
4/8/08 4:09:56PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

And for the record, as NateDawg said Marcus Davis definitely has one punch KO power...even more so then Johnson imho.

Not bias at all. Davis has KO'ed some serious cans inside the Octagon. You shouldn't be so quick to pass judgment on Johnson.
NatedawgThaM
4/8/08 4:12:44PM

Posted by IriShame
Look, Tommy Speer is not as strong of a wrestler as GSP or Hughes. Just because wrestling is his strength doesn't mean he can hang with those guys. I would say he's more similar to Koscheck a few years ago before he developed his striking.

Also, let's not get carried away because a welterweight finally KO'd somebody. Johnson's got power, he's showed that. However, until I see him demonstrate some submission defense and continue to show that sprawl on a consistent basis I'm not sold. He has potential I agree but he's not ready to fight any top tier opponents just yet.

I think a fight with a guy like Chris Lytle would be both entertaining for the fans and good for his developement.

Um, yes I think Speer is just as strong. He's not as good of a wrestler but he's definitely just as strong if not stronger. So sprawling out of his powerful takedowns is impressive IMO, especially if your comparing him to Kos's former LNP self, because last time I checked out Kos's old LNP fights, nobody was sprawling from his takedowns.

I hope you don't think I was saying he could beat them right now. No way, not enough experience in 6-7 fights. But his potential is through the roof. I agree I want to see him fight Davis, Alves or Lytle to see how good his stand up really is and if he passes that test, then feed him Diego or Karo to test that ground game.
tylerlee123
4/8/08 5:54:33PM
Id like to see Johnson against someone who wants to stand with him then we'll see how good he is beacuse we all know he got submitted by Clementi he say's it was because of a week's notice but I think he'll be beat by a lot of guys if they take him to the floor , but we shall see and I cant wait .
jiujitsufreak74
4/8/08 6:56:38PM

Posted by tberg420

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Not bias at all. Davis has KO'ed some serious cans inside the Octagon. You shouldn't be so quick to pass judgment on Johnson.

haha yes i am a bit biased but it is still a fact that he has KO power. i agree some of the competition has been less then stellar but even in his boxing career he has shown one punch power. don't be so quick to label my analysis of Davis bias when it is generally accepted that he has one of he hardest punches in MMA today. and i believe that the competition he has faced is indeed better then Speer, at least more then half of it. Johnson has shown this one punch power merely once or twice, Davis has proven it throughout his entire fighting career.
kevietre
4/8/08 10:05:34PM
in response to natedawgtham:

GSP beat BJ whose first three fights in the UFC were round 1 knockouts, so GSP does have the ability to trade but he wouldn't have to because he could easily take down Anthony Johnson if he takes down Rashad Evans in practice.
Johnson is explosive and has power but so does GSP.
Tommy Speer is athletic, well conditioned but he doesn't have that much skill thesides ground and pound. GSP would have knocked out Tommy Speer easily and just as brutal of a KO.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/8/08 10:27:46PM
gsp also handled pete spratt whos a very good striker.

and to say gsp has a weak chin is just silly.