Anthony Johnson released from UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anthony Johnson released from UFC
Next Page »
Kpro
1/15/12 7:30:28AM
Anthony Johnson's third weighcutting mistake will be his last in the UFC, at least for now.

Following Saturday night's UFC 142 event at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, UFC president Dana White terminated Johnson's contract.

"This is his third time," White said of Johnson's failure to make weight for the third time in his octagon career. "Three strikes and you're gone."

Johnson (10-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC), of course, missed weight for his co-feature fight with Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC). The UFC president said Johnson came within a pound-and-a-half of the 186-pound limit allowed for non-title middleweight fights but was forced by a doctor to rehydrate because the former welterweight contender "couldn't make it."

"That was one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen," White said. "The guy was at 170 pounds. He moved up to 185 pounds so this wouldn't happen anymore, and this is the worst weightcutting disaster he's ever had. He almost ruined the co-main event here in Brazil. I don't know what else to say about that one. I'm not happy about it."

LINK
airkerma
1/15/12 9:37:59AM
emfleek
1/15/12 9:49:21AM

100% agree with the decision.
Dberntson
1/15/12 9:52:15AM
There's probably an opening on the next season of "The Biggest Loser".
prozacnation1978
1/15/12 10:46:09AM
I think win or lose he was out
You don't go up 15 pounds in weight and miss weight
No excuses and i like rumble !
Lesnar1
1/15/12 10:59:43AM
Rumble will probably head over to Dream or Bellator FC.
TeamDEY
1/15/12 10:59:45AM
Anthony was fun to watch but lets be real. I love this decision. I think it will wake Johnson up and make him better. I'm sure he'll be back but he needed a wake up call.
MMAcca
1/15/12 11:03:39AM
It's the right decision.

Two consecutive fights on weight on the regional scene and he will be back.
Sir_Karl
1/15/12 11:04:46AM
I feel his attitude played a huge role in the cut. At the weigh-ins he was a little tool cool and giddy for a guy that just missed weight by over 10 pounds. How did he ever make 170????? How come he can't make 185? I wonder if Johnson did a cycle or two of Roids in the last few months???? He looked totally different than he did at 170.
Bubbles
1/15/12 11:56:29AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I feel his attitude played a huge role in the cut. At the weigh-ins he was a little tool cool and giddy for a guy that just missed weight by over 10 pounds. How did he ever make 170????? How come he can't make 185? I wonder if Johnson did a cycle or two of Roids in the last few months???? He looked totally different than he did at 170.

so weighing in at 20 pounds more than he used to means he was on roids? come on get real. im pretty sure you didnt claim Frank Mir juiced up when he started to weigh in at 265
Bubbles
1/15/12 11:59:09AM
i cant say i didnt see this coming...and its not like he did a whole lot in the fight to keep his spot on the roster. i would like to see AJ back later this year, but he needs to get this shit sorted out or make a permanent move to 205
MMAcca
1/15/12 12:18:28PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Sir_Karl

so weighing in at 20 pounds more than he used to means he was on roids? come on get real. im pretty sure you didnt claim Frank Mir juiced up when he started to weigh in at 265

He did only say 'maybe'
scoozna
1/15/12 1:07:22PM
It'll probably be good for AJ in the end. If he gets his act together, they'll take him back.
Franklinfan47
1/15/12 1:28:12PM

Posted by Lesnar1

Rumble vs Lombard?

Poor_Franklin
1/15/12 1:43:36PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by Lesnar1

Rumble vs Lombard?

or Marquardt. needs to be one of those 2. i'd rather see Lombard vs Marquardt
KungFuMaster
1/15/12 1:45:33PM
This was a given.
GSPCanada
1/15/12 1:56:35PM
I kind of disagree. There was rumor circulating that aj was 190 the night before but health reasons complicated things when he was very close. I think the ufc should investigate if this is true or not. if the guy was on schedule and then all of a sudden physically could not do it I think he deserves a chance to explain himself

as for the fight itself i don't know if it would have made a difference in the end but that was some awful reffing aj had no chance with standups like that
tallica62
1/15/12 2:00:57PM
stuff like this makes me like Edgar even more...walks around at 156, fights at 155...thats real hardcore talent
prophecy033
1/15/12 2:56:31PM

Posted by emfleek

100% agree with the decision.

same here. Johnson did it to himself and to make matters worse, he doesn't wanna take responsibility for it. Own up to your mistake and move on, don't pass the blame
jay98107
1/15/12 4:37:41PM
He's far too good to be anywhere but the UFC. That being said, he absolutely deserves his punishment. Missing weight by a pound or two is one thing. 12 pounds? Overwhelmingly unprofessional.
bjj1605
1/15/12 8:12:09PM
I called it.

I totally agree with this move.

No excuses for 12 pounds. Doctors wouldn't give him THAT much fluid.
RhythmAndStyle
1/15/12 11:05:46PM
GOOD!
Gannon
1/16/12 3:38:30AM
I think releasing Johnson sends a great message to anybody that thinks missing weight is "ok" Fighters should be in no way missing weight by 12 pounds.

Johnson is a damn good fighter and he will be back. Lesson learned.
kingsmasher
1/16/12 11:05:54AM
I like the cut and think Johnson is overrated and used his size as an advantage...His punches are big loops...A guy like GSP would jab him too death...He also just loves to give up that back...
Travesty145
1/16/12 1:16:30PM
theres no doubt in my mind that anthony johnson is far superior to vitor belfort. he threw this fight away and so he deserves to be cut
kingsmasher
1/16/12 4:37:00PM

Posted by Travesty145

theres no doubt in my mind that anthony johnson is far superior to vitor belfort. he threw this fight away and so he deserves to be cut

And why would he throw the fight? makes no sense..

If you want a conspiracy theory behind it I guess it was planned all along to make Vitor look good huh?

Dana White told Rumble we want you to fight Vitor at 185 but heres the catch...We want you to come in overweight...then I will be mad but then you will come in and lose....Now we want it to look real...So dont be throwing big punches that could end the fight and ruin evereythign we are planning...Which he did.......(because Rumble is just so on board with all UFC wants him to do...)
bjj1605
1/16/12 11:09:42PM

Posted by Travesty145

theres no doubt in my mind that anthony johnson is far superior to vitor belfort.

Vitor choking him out inside of one round didn't give you any doubts???
Kpro
1/16/12 11:20:11PM

Posted by Travesty145

theres no doubt in my mind that anthony johnson is far superior to vitor belfort

airkerma
1/17/12 10:28:06AM

Posted by Travesty145

machodog76
1/17/12 10:15:04PM

Posted by Travesty145

theres no doubt in my mind that anthony johnson is far BIGGER THAN vitor belfort. he threw this fight away and so he deserves to be cut

FIXED! Sorry to pile on I just couldn't help myself.
Pages: [1] 2