Anthony Johnson Open to Heavyweight Super Fight Against Andrei Arlovski

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anthony Johnson Open to Heavyweight Super Fight Against Andrei Arlovski
POLL: Who would you pick in this HW matchup?
Anthony Johnson 44% (20)
Andrei Arlovski 56% (25)
Poor_Franklin
11/5/12 4:10:15PM
Anthony Johnson is a man who enjoys challenges.

Just days after his highlight reel knockout over D.J. Linderman at World Series of Fighting 1 in Las Vegas, he’s already got a few ideas for what he’d like to do next.

Throughout his career, Johnson has tested the limits of his body and skill set bouncing from welterweight all the way to light heavyweight, and now he has a new weight class in mind.

MMAWEEKLY
Budgellism
11/5/12 4:12:27PM
Alright, I'm intrigued. That sounds like a great idea. It would be good for WSOF too. I don't know if I'd do it right away (maybe have them both win another fight) but sometime in 2013 would be sweet.
kingsmasher
11/5/12 4:25:13PM
id have to go with Arlovski....He has good standup and if he can stay away from the right hes all good...
Theoutlaw08
11/5/12 4:28:13PM
I like this fight. I'd say Rumble tries to get it to the mat or the could just throw the whole time. Not a fan of either fighter, so I can care less how it ends.
BillsNewAccount
11/5/12 4:44:41PM
It would have to be made a catch weight bout after Rumble weighs in at 286.
prophecy033
11/5/12 5:05:40PM
Well that got my attention.....i'd watch for sure
hotrodttt
11/5/12 5:16:30PM
Johnson would just need one punch or kick, I'd take him 9/10
jae_1833
11/5/12 5:33:05PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

It would have to be made a catch weight bout after Rumble weighs in at 286.

Damn, that shit was funny....got to spread the love but I definitely owe you one.
FastKnockout
11/5/12 5:38:36PM
Not sure who I'd give it to but Johnson has a decent chance at winning.
Poor_Franklin
11/5/12 6:05:30PM
all depends on how Arlovski's chin holds up
JackHammerXXX
11/5/12 6:15:48PM
If you're WSOF, do you risk two of the biggest names in your 'money' weight classes losing, before they build them up as future champions?

I, of course, would watch and be entertained, and believe for marketing purposes, this makes plenty of sense. Also if Rumble is still planning to "go to the top" (UFC) then maybe Ray should book it while he can. If they Are getting back on NBC, then this prolly bodes well with the brass too, as a main event.

If Johnson shows up like he did this past weekend, meaning trained for/like a light heavy fight, then I believe he knocks the pitbull out. If he comes into fight, purposely heavy to matchup with andrei, I think he'll lose his speed and arlovski has a definite shot at taking a decision.

tallica62
11/5/12 6:34:27PM
Johnson is a beast at a more proper weight for him. He'll KO Arlovski's glass chin.

I hope to see Johnson back in the UFC at LHW
SmileR
11/5/12 8:30:08PM
Clementi, Kos and Vitor have all schooled Johnson. He's not the stud people are making him out to be. Johnson walks around at 230 with a gut. Big arms, beg legs but a gut none the less. He also has terrible sub defence. Dan Hardy wobbled him at 170! So I doubt his chin stands up to some of the shots Arlovski or any serious HW throws. Also look at the guys record! Everytime he's fought someone in the top 10 regardless of weight he's lost!

Anyone thinking he's going to step up and be a threat at HW is crazy! He's a good fighter he's athletic, quick and has good power but at LHW he's a long way from the top. At HW he's even further.

Also Arlovski is a LEGITIMATE heavyweight. He's walking around at 248 of muscle. His TDD is good and he hits like a train. His chin might be questionable but its held up since the Kharitonov fight and he's been his with some good shots since then. Also he's training at Jackson's so he's got one hell of a team around him!
hotrodttt
11/5/12 8:38:30PM

Posted by tallica62

Johnson is a beast at a more proper weight for him. He'll KO Arlovski's glass chin.

I hope to see Johnson back in the UFC at LHW

hit the nail on the head
sparky
11/5/12 9:31:13PM
This is one of those first person to land a clean shot wins kind of fights. That being said ill tune in to catch it, but if I was WSOF i wouldn't put this fight on there are better match ups out there for both guys. Arlovski is past his prime and Johnson is a talented young fighter who once he gets his weight class figured out will be a force. This fight just doesn't make that much sense to me.
BuffaloDave
11/5/12 10:34:33PM
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the fight if it happens.

Only problem I have is for Johnson, who is building his name back up with a string of wins, and now finally looks good in a division he can make weight at, is now gonna jump up to HW and risk his momentum he has built.

I would heavily take AA in this fight. Since his bad run in SF, he is mounting a comeback, and seems to have a bit of confidence back, as each time he has fought since the losing he has looked better and better. Definitely would be AJ's toughest fight since the UFC.
Manak
11/6/12 1:36:37AM
not even close for me, AA a former hw champ vs a sub par LHW who former fought at WW. AA would knock his block off in the 1st rd... yes AA doesnt have the greatest chin but lets not forget he has been fighting HWs. i thinks it is a safe assumption to say getting hit by a HW feels way worse that any lighter class. With all the added weight AJ would be slower and out shape since he wouldn't worry about what he can eat or how much he weights. AA is better than AJ where ever the fight goes. At HW AJ would would have too much fat to handle AA's movement, speed, and power....
BigBadAl
11/6/12 8:33:11AM

Posted by Manak

not even close for me, AA a former hw champ vs a sub par LHW who former fought at WW. AA would knock his block off in the 1st rd... yes AA doesnt have the greatest chin but lets not forget he has been fighting HWs. i thinks it is a safe assumption to say getting hit by a HW feels way worse that any lighter class. With all the added weight AJ would be slower and out shape since he wouldn't worry about what he can eat or how much he weights. AA is better than AJ where ever the fight goes. At HW AJ would would have too much fat to handle AA's movement, speed, and power....

Yeah I think I would have to agree with this assessment.
cowcatcher
11/6/12 11:31:02AM
The biggest reason that I would pick AA to win this is that a move to HW would allow AJ to get lazy. AJ is a pretty big guy, but there are other big guys that work really hard to keep their weight down and then cut to make weight several weight classes below HW. Those guys are putting in a lot of hard work to more areas than just technique. Complacency leads to lacking in more areas than just keeping your weight down.

With all that said, I'm still not even leaning toward AA as high as 70% in this fight simply due to a somewhat suspect chin and AJ's ability to KO people with one shot. Power is power, and I think it only increases as he moves up in weight.
Bubbles
11/6/12 11:50:03AM
"I want to be the first guy, I don’t know if anybody’s ever done it, but I want to be the first guy to fight four weight classes at one time.” - AJ

Kenny Florian's been there, done that
Manak
11/6/12 1:54:39PM

Posted by Bubbles

"I want to be the first guy, I don’t know if anybody’s ever done it, but I want to be the first guy to fight four weight classes at one time.” - AJ

but does it count if you miss weight half the time?? plus Florian got title shots but just was always destined to be a bride's maid
jjeans
11/6/12 2:15:57PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by Bubbles

but does it count if you miss weight half the time?? plus Florian got title shots but just was always destined to be a bride's maid

Brian Ebersoles on 4 and is considering 5
Joe Riggs is on 4 as well
alienkiller89
11/6/12 2:34:28PM
let's look at this headline a little more closely. a "super fight" implies that a lot of people are really pumped and excited about this potential fight. i believe that this is not the case lol
Poor_Franklin
11/6/12 2:59:05PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Manak

Posted by Bubbles

Brian Ebersoles on 4 and is considering 5
Joe Riggs is on 4 as well

BJ!!!!!!!