Anthony Johnson vs Matt Brown at TUF 9 Finale

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anthony Johnson vs Matt Brown at TUF 9 Finale
Mr_Dead_Sexy
3/25/09 3:40:39AM
Just weeks after the proposed match-up between Anthony Johnson and John Howard fell through, Johnson now has a new opponent as "Ultimate Fighter" season 7 competitor, Matt Brown, has been tapped as a replacement to fight on the "Ultimate Fighter" season 9 finale show.

The fight was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the fight on Tuesday.

LINK
Drudinh
3/25/09 4:13:19AM
How far out is this set? September/October?
lohmann
3/25/09 5:12:29AM

Posted by Drudinh

How far out is this set? September/October?

Probably late June or early July, right before Henderson and Bisping fight each other at UFC 100.

This is a great test for Johnson; props to Joe Silva for this. Matt Brown has heavy hands and has never been knocked out.
Loot613
3/25/09 8:40:42AM
Yes I agree, GREAT FIGHT... This will tell us where each of them is at. Matt Brown is no can for Anthony Johnson and vice versa...

great job on this matchup hope it happens
NatedawgThaM
3/25/09 9:14:28AM
holy **** this is pretty sick!!! Can't wait, should be a war!!!! Go AJ!!! Hopin KO in the 1st,
sparky
3/25/09 9:50:29AM
This is an exciting match up!!!
Im not sure who to take in this one Johnson is a bigger, stronger guy and his wrestling skills are superior but I think Brown has an advantage in the Jui Jitsu. They are both solid strikers with KO power. They are pretty evenly matched.
Twenty20Dollars
3/25/09 10:12:18AM
Well I dont see this fight going to the ground, cept when Johnson drops Brown because Anthony is quicker and stronger and a strong wrestler. And getting better with his kicks.
wiggum
3/25/09 10:43:44AM
wow, talk about slug fest.....someone is most likely getting ko'd and my money is on johnson going to sleep........brown has the better technical standup, the power is about even...but the chin goes to brown...ive noticed that johnson can take a punch decently, but ive seen instances in fights were he wasnt taking it too good from lesser strikers,...brown can expose that......wrestling goes to johnson....bjj goes to brown, we havent seem much out of johnson in that dept. but i doubt its browns level....cardio id say is even, neither have had too much of a problem...heart is the same, maybe a slight edge to brown if anything.....i say tho if brown doenst put johnson to sleep that johnson will get a decision win
WheelchairBandit
3/25/09 10:46:02AM
Anthony Johnson by UD.I think he takes Matt Brown down and works moderate ground and pound and just trys to hold position.He does NOT want to stand and bang with Matt Brown.This is by far the best striker Johnson has faced so far,and while he'll have a speed advantage,Brown has better technique and just as much power.

If Johnson trys to stand and bang with Brown,it's gonna be a long night for him.

WB.
wrona666
3/25/09 11:00:04AM
Everyone counted Brown out against Sell (at least everyone in my camp).......I picked him to win against sell and i will pick him again against Johnson......

War Matt Brown!!!!!
Chuteboxer
3/25/09 11:31:53AM
War Matt Brown indeed. I'd love to see him beat Johnson. I have to agree with a few others in here though that if he doesn't KO Anthony or catch him in a great sub, then Johnson will most likely take this by a decision.
prozacnation1978
3/25/09 11:41:42AM
great fight for a main card tuf or pay per view

i am not entirely sold on aj yet
if i were brown i would take him down and sub him and not try to trade with him
Mayhem13
3/25/09 12:37:12PM
Crap. This is an awesome fight..but between my 2 favorite ww's (along with hazelett)

And I know both guys, so it makes it kind of weird..haha I don't want to see either lose really...but its a great matchup and will be really exciting I think.

I will take Brown rnd 2 sub after Johnson takes him down while slightly rocked from a knee
Twenty20Dollars
3/25/09 12:57:51PM
Johnson is 6'2"

Brown only 5'7"

Johnson by tko.
Mayhem13
3/25/09 1:16:47PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Johnson is 6'2"

Brown only 5'7"

Johnson by tko.

Matts taller then that. AJ will have a couple inches on him, but Brown is definately taller then 5'7.. I am 6 ft. and he is not much shorter then me..I'd say 5'10 maybe.

Johnson could defiantely knock him out...but AJ was taking alot of shots from Burns is not as good a sriker as Brown, if Brown lands shots like Burns was doing ..it will be bad for AJ.
xtra_chewy
3/25/09 2:54:37PM

Posted by Mayhem13

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Johnson is 6'2"

Brown only 5'7"

Johnson by tko.

Matts taller then that. AJ will have a couple inches on him, but Brown is definately taller then 5'7.. I am 6 ft. and he is not much shorter then me..I'd say 5'10 maybe.

Johnson could defiantely knock him out...but AJ was taking alot of shots from Burns is not as good a sriker as Brown, if Brown lands shots like Burns was doing ..it will be bad for AJ.

Sherdog has Brown listed as 5'7 but in the last weigh ins he stood face to face with Sell who is 5'11-6'0. Johnson will have a couple inches on him, but reguardless this will be a bad ass fight! Brown has definately grown on me his past few fights. But I'd probably go with AJ.
Pookie
3/25/09 3:58:32PM
Brown is at least 5'10" and i believe he has a 76" reach
Johnson is 6'0" 78" reach, theyre not that much different in build.

I think Brown is going to look good in this fight, he has the crisper strikes. And Johnson has a tendency to flurry and then drop the pace before suddenly flurrying again.
This works for him, but with a constant pressure fighter who you cant keep on the outside of your strikes - hes going to get tagged alot.

I see johnson doing lots of damage early, but slows in the second round becuase he put too much gas on his strikes early. Brown by UD, with a dominating third round.
scoozna
3/25/09 5:21:50PM
I really like this matchup. 50/50 to me, but will take Brown because of the steady improvement factor.
Gipper
3/25/09 5:37:12PM
wow..........again........ nice matchup joe

this fight will be a war
team_demon_fighter
3/25/09 6:45:55PM
befor matt browns last fight, i thought he needed to really prove his self. not saying sell is great by any means, but thought he would beat brown... but with the way brown destroyed him, even after the ref mess up to go back and beat him all over again was great... i think this fight will probably goto decision to be honest, with anthony johnson getting the decision win. but feel this might be an exciting fight and is truely a good test for johnson finally.
theguido
3/25/09 9:04:02PM
This should be a WAR WAR WAR
bls1919
3/26/09 5:03:57PM
This is an awesome fight. Both of these guys are on a roll. Brown absolutly crushed Pete Sell. AJ is a big threat. I dont count on this one going to the judges. AJ TKO 1st