Anthony Johnson "I feel like I can hang with GSP"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anthony Johnson "I feel like I can hang with GSP"
Next Page »
Porch28
4/11/08 5:14:19PM
"Hopefully within the next 2 or 3 months. I'm keeping my weight down low right now. I honestly want to be on that Rampage and Forrest card on July 5th," stated UFC welterweight contender Anthony Johnson as he talked about his future plans after his impressive knockout victory over Tommy Speer during UFC Fight Night 13. You don't want to miss what he had to say about his performance, his future plans and much more as he promises "whenever the UFC calls me man, I'll be ready for an opportunity to shine again." Check it out!

LINK
SpiderSilva
4/11/08 5:24:39PM
How would he handle GSP Kicks he hasnt had to deal with anything like that in he career
nastshabast
4/11/08 5:31:11PM
I don't think ee could ang wit da riddim
Twenty20Dollars
4/11/08 5:33:02PM
maybe striking with gsp but idk if he can hang with the wrestling and bjj or gsp.

But this kid is for real, hopefully he gets a fight on that july 5th card, im looking forward to see him again and show them skills. Possibly a contender at the end of 2008? if he wins and fights the right people.
gartface
4/11/08 5:42:47PM
Mchubb316
4/11/08 5:46:28PM
He has to have that mentality. Fighting Speer is nothing remotely close to the same as fighting someone so diverse as GSP. I think most fighters say and or think they can beat the champ and they should if they believe in their ability. It is easy to say these things, but it is a whole different animal when you actually get in there with them and fight.
gsquat
4/11/08 6:06:15PM
I'd love to see GSP put this kid in his place. If Rich Clementi submitted him then so can GSP.

ps. His head is really pointy.
wolfman
4/11/08 6:19:46PM

Posted by gsquat

I'd love to see GSP put this kid in his place. If Rich Clementi submitted him then so can GSP.

ps. His head is really pointy.

Yeah, I would also like to see GSP put him in his place. He clearly has an ego larger than life. It's only been his third fight in the octagon and he is saying that we are privileged to have seen him fight. Don't get me wrong, the guy has serious potential, I just wish he would realize that he still has a long ways to go.

Why does it matter he has a pointy head? LOL
wapttn
4/11/08 6:36:12PM
I'm getting the feeling that people dont even read the actual articles anymore...

"I dont feel like I could dominate GSP, but I feel like I can hang with him a little bit."

"I have so much respect for that man it's crazy, but for anybody to compare me to him, it's an honour, but at the same time, you gotta be crazy."

"you cant compare me to a guy like that, that's insane"

"theres always a puncher's chance when you step inside that octagon" (re: GSP)

The guy has confidence in his abilities as a fighter but realizes and respects that GSP is on a different level than he is. Would he have a chance against GSP? I dunno... johnson's standup looks a lot better than serra's and look at what happened there. Johnson was respectful, realistic, and speaking like he believes in himself. I dont know how you can hold that against him
wolfman
4/11/08 6:40:37PM

Posted by wapttn

I'm getting the feeling that people dont even read the actual articles anymore...

"I dont feel like I could dominate GSP, but I feel like I can hang with him a little bit."

"I have so much respect for that man it's crazy, but for anybody to compare me to him, it's an honour, but at the same time, you gotta be crazy."

"you cant compare me to a guy like that, that's insane"

"theres always a puncher's chance when you step inside that octagon" (re: GSP)

The guy has confidence in his abilities as a fighter but realizes and respects that GSP is on a different level than he is. Would he have a chance against GSP? I dunno... johnson's standup looks a lot better than serra's and look at what happened there. Johnson was respectful, realistic, and speaking like he believes in himself. I dont know how you can hold that against him

I'm not going to lie, I didn't. I just don't like his attitude. My excuse for not reading the article is due to my laziness...It's a Friday
wrona666
4/11/08 6:52:08PM
Definately an exciting fighter...That was a gnarly KO on Speers....
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/11/08 6:54:56PM
i like guy's who hold themselves to a high standard, but geez
jakeiceman
4/11/08 7:45:52PM
Dude I could totally hang with GSP too!
cmill21
4/11/08 11:02:55PM
Little soon but I don't think he would get man handled. I think his stand up is good enough to stay with him and his wrestling could be good enough to stay up for a bit. I think he would get subbed in round 2 or 3. Don't use the clementi fight as a barometer for this guy.
Tailgunner
4/11/08 11:29:16PM
I like this guy, he absolutely mauled Speer with some vicious strikes. I think he has a bright future in the UFC and I am sure he could "hang" with GSP, why not?
Pitbull09
4/11/08 11:37:38PM
Im beginning to like the guy. Finally something more in the welterweight division to hope for then GSP, Hughes, Serra, and Karo. Whoever he fights next, I hope its a test for him cause even if he loses it will be a war.
NatedawgThaM
4/12/08 1:26:48AM
I think he could hang with GSP! The stand up is definitely their to take GSP down. That freakin reach is SICK!!! Unlike Serra, he wouldn't have to get inside to KO GSP, he could KO him from five feet away! That would be a great test for GSP's stand up!

He did sprawl from a few strong Speer takedowns which really impressed me and he does have a wrestling background. I wouldn't count him out totally against GSP, he just needs just a little bit more time to touch of his skills and get challenged against better fighters then Speer first but you got to love the confidence!
silverbullet
4/12/08 9:33:28AM
Hey Porch28 how about not cutting words out of context when posting news links?
fufu
4/12/08 9:42:19AM
If this guy uses his reach efficiently and exhibits good timing I think he is a force for anyone in the WW division.
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/12/08 9:55:39AM
Young up & comers in the UFC should all learn a lil' lesson from KOS. He called out GSP, talked a bit of shit... felt like he could "hang" with him... and then look what happened.
Rush
4/12/08 10:40:52AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Young up & comers in the UFC should all learn a lil' lesson from KOS. He called out GSP, talked a bit of shit... felt like he could "hang" with him... and then look what happened.

Actually he said he could knock GSP out in the first couple minutes.

The title of this thread is really a good example of how a sound byte can be taken out of context. If you read the article he has much to say about GSP that is opposite to what the sound byte implies.

I don"t feel like I could dominate GSP, but I feel like I can hang with him a little bit. I'm not going to say he could run over me and I don't think I could run over him. I think we are equal in a lot of ways. He just has more experience and that name. He started from the ground up and now I'm in the same boat that he's in. Hopefully I could get to where he is right now. I have so much respect for that man it's crazy, but for anybody to compare me to him, it's an honor, but at the same time, you gotta be crazy. That guy has done so much for the sport already. You can't compare a guy that has had 3 fights in the UFC to somebody that has had several fights…you know what I mean? You can't compare me to a guy like that; that's insane!
prozacnation1978
4/12/08 12:24:49PM
aj might actually be the sleeper pick of the division, the clementi fight i thought he was going to knock him out cold, i see he hasn't lost his touch against tommy speers, but he could not roll with gsp. he does have alot of power, he won't fight on the july card, i wish he would but with 9 bouts set plus the miller bout and bruno bout that is 11 all ready card is full, i do see him fighting in aug maybe sept. it nice to see fighters like him and guida who want to fight all the time, asap not just every 5 or so months but all of fights a year
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/12/08 12:39:25PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Actually he said he could knock GSP out in the first couple minutes.

The title of this thread is really a good example of how a sound byte can be taken out of context. If you read the article he has much to say about GSP that is opposite to what the sound byte implies.

I don"t feel like I could dominate GSP, but I feel like I can hang with him a little bit. I'm not going to say he could run over me and I don't think I could run over him. I think we are equal in a lot of ways. He just has more experience and that name. He started from the ground up and now I'm in the same boat that he's in. Hopefully I could get to where he is right now. I have so much respect for that man it's crazy, but for anybody to compare me to him, it's an honor, but at the same time, you gotta be crazy. That guy has done so much for the sport already. You can't compare a guy that has had 3 fights in the UFC to somebody that has had several fights…you know what I mean? You can't compare me to a guy like that; that's insane!

Thanks man! my bad not reading the actual article
GrandMaster313
4/12/08 3:13:57PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

maybe striking with gsp but idk if he can hang with the wrestling and bjj or gsp.

But this kid is for real, hopefully he gets a fight on that july 5th card, im looking forward to see him again and show them skills. Possibly a contender at the end of 2008? if he wins and fights the right people.

this guy's standup is impressive IMO one of the best in the division, but GSP has everything in his arsenal. I don't know how Johnson would do on the ground with GSP raining down a thunderstorm of punches.
Rush
4/12/08 3:15:27PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Thanks man! my bad not reading the actual article

No problem, though I only quoted you regarding what Koscheck said about GSP, not about the article iteself.
Porch28
4/12/08 3:53:42PM
Call me crazy but I think Johnson is going to be a huge force to be reckoned with and I believe he really could hang with GSP. Laugh now but you will see
The_hungry_lumberjack
4/12/08 5:53:21PM
A good next fight for Rumble might be Ryo Chonan. They both love to get in there and fight like animals. Could be fun.
jiujitsufreak74
4/12/08 5:57:05PM
i know this isn't a big surprise coming from me but o would really like to see him face off against Marcus Davis. the striking in that match would be so explosive
wolfman
4/12/08 9:08:46PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i know this isn't a big surprise coming from me but o would really like to see him face off against Marcus Davis. the striking in that match would be so explosive

That would be an explosive match!
Aether
4/12/08 9:09:18PM
I dunno... Don't get me wrong the guys has potential but we've all seen several cases of a guy coming in that no one has ever heard of, getting a couple of spectacular knockouts in his first couple fights, and then realizing that their game is actually pretty one-dimensional when they end up fighting either a well rounded fighter, or even just a fighter whose strength happens to be their weakness. What makes a great fighter is the ability to beat people at their own game and to adapt to situations with fluidity... (ie GSP controlling Koschek on the ground) I don't see that in him yet. Again he looks like he has a lot of potential, but I think as we see him move up the ladder a little bit and fight progressively more well rounded fighters, we're going to see him falter quite a bit. I don't think his ground game is up to snuff at all and the more he fights people who are able to take him down the more apparent that will be.

He does, however, seem to have the mentality of a fighter who knows he needs to improve a lot before he can really make it to that point and having the right mentality is the biggest part of improving at anything, so hopefully he will become a force down the road because he has some exciting fights and a lot of potential.
Pages: [1] 2