‘It’s Now or Never’ – Anthony Johnson Decides to Move to Light Heavyweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » ‘It’s Now or Never’ – Anthony Johnson Decides to Move to Light Heavyweight
prophecy033
7/4/12 1:42:47PM
Anthony Johnson is making some long overdue changes to his life and career starting with his next fight in 2012.

For years the former UFC fighter had been struggling and fighting to make weight, originally cutting down to 170 pounds, but missing the limit on several occasions.

Even a move to 185 pounds didn’t help, as he struggled mightily once again before exiting the UFC, and then again when he debuted for Titan Fighting Championships earlier this year.

The battle to cut the weight has done massive damage to Johnson’s image in the fight world, but maybe the biggest war he’s been losing this whole time is the toll its taken on his body.

“I was trying to cut the weight the day before the fight, water was coming out and everything was working, then the day of the fight stuff just stopped working. My body just pretty much shut down again,” Johnson explained to MMAWeekly.com when speaking about cutting weight for his last fight against David Branch.

Link
Boo_Radley21
7/4/12 1:45:49PM
Sucks to be him. Won't have any real success there
airkerma
7/4/12 2:17:09PM
Damn, when I read the headline fast I thought he was going down to lightweight. That would have been epic!
Shawn91111
7/4/12 3:23:26PM
He still wont make weight
Chael_Sonnen
7/4/12 3:23:28PM
Good luck
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
frizzzlecake
7/4/12 3:58:17PM
I wonder if the brutal cut to 170 all these years has made his body basically say enough! or maybe Anthony eats unhealthy diet and then tries to cut? hmmm whatever dude had god given attributes and wasted them.
Boo_Radley21
7/4/12 4:40:24PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

I wonder if the brutal cut to 170 all these years has made his body basically say enough! or maybe Anthony eats unhealthy diet and then tries to cut? hmmm whatever dude had god given attributes and wasted them.

Either way, the guy lost to Vitor Belfort, who couldnt make it at Light Heavyweight and moved down to middleweight. What does that tell you about the pending success of Anthony Johnsons Career
Boo_Radley21
7/4/12 4:40:46PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Good luck

I hate you
jae_1833
7/4/12 5:18:58PM
AJ, get with Dolce now!
Gogoplatapus
7/4/12 7:49:11PM
If this guy had any sort of brain in his head...
Pookie
7/4/12 8:39:17PM
I'd put money on the enormous weight cuts(20-25% body weight) being the reason why his body doesnt cut weight effectively at all anymore.
FastKnockout
7/5/12 1:26:18AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by frizzzlecake

Either way, the guy lost to Vitor Belfort, who couldnt make it at Light Heavyweight and moved down to middleweight. What does that tell you about the pending success of Anthony Johnsons Career

Nothing?
postman
7/5/12 9:20:22AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by frizzzlecake

Nothing?

MMA Math is an exact science and has hundreds of years of documentation to go with it. If you lose to a guy you will never beat anyone he has lost to and theres still a chance you will lose to people he beat.
Svartorm
7/5/12 11:59:09AM

Posted by Pookie

I'd put money on the enormous weight cuts(20-25% body weight) being the reason why his body doesnt cut weight effectively at all anymore.

More than likely. Cormier has the same issue, and if you're touching water reserved for organs, that's what happens long term.
BuffaloDave
7/5/12 2:37:45PM
Still 2 classes under Rumbleweight.
Bubbles
7/5/12 7:25:15PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Rumble vs HMC?
george112
7/5/12 8:35:24PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by BuffaloDave

Rumble vs HMC?

telnights
7/5/12 10:02:06PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Pookie

More than likely. Cormier has the same issue, and if you're touching water reserved for organs, that's what happens long term.

Yeah its a common problem with guys that cut a lot of weight for a long time. It really does tear your body up. Back when I wrestled we had a guy on the team that had this problem show up at age 20. Every time he tried to cut his organs (Liver and Kidneys) would start shutting down. I have seen this problem show up with a lot of my friends I wrestled with now that we are older. I would also say half of them have to get TRT treatments just to feel normal. Now for some I know their issues are related to steroid use but most are due to cutting large amounts of weight over and over again.