Anthony Johnson, Dana White have no problem with UFC on Versus 6 stoppage

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anthony Johnson, Dana White have no problem with UFC on Versus 6 stoppage
jjeans
10/2/11 6:34:47AM
WASHINGTON, D.C. – It was a dominant performance for Anthony Johnson – one that moves him a big step toward a potential title fight with welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

But it also came with a bit of controversy.

However, following Johnson's first-round destruction of Charlie Brenneman at Saturday's UFC on Versus 6 event, both Johnson and UFC president Dana White downplayed the supposedly controversial stoppage.

Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) and Brenneman (14-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) met in a main-card bout at Washington, D.C.'s Verizon Center. The Versus-televised bout proved a lopsided affair; Johnson stuffed an early takedown and then punished a kneeling Brenneman with punches and knees. By the time Brenneman got back to his feet, he was wobbly, and he grabbed the fence to keep his balance. But that's also when Johnson blasted him with a shin to the face.

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
10/2/11 9:00:19AM
I wouldn't mind one more punch thrown in for good measure by Rumble....but.....it was a good stoppage.
FastKnockout
10/2/11 12:01:26PM
I was upset at first, because I knew Johnson would be hit with negative feedback, and some fans might use it as an excuse to brush off his win. But, after watching the replay again, I feel that the stoppage was was needed. Brenneman was in trouble a good 15-20 seconds due to Rumble rocking him, and when he was getting up he had to grab the cage and use it for support, which also was the reason he wasn't able to block the kick. Brenneman might have recovered quickly, but the way he fell and how his body went limp for a second after the kick landed flush cause me to believe that he was out, if only for a quick second.
LesnarISjesusWITHnoBEARD
10/2/11 12:24:21PM
If the fight weren't stopped, Rumble wound have Hendo/Bispinged him and won the fight anywats. Brenneman's Rocky story was over the moment this fight was scheduled. Rumble was dominating.
KungFuMaster
10/2/11 12:34:31PM
The stoppage may have seemed early according to video footages but if other referees saw the fight as it was happening live, I have no doubt many of them would have done the same.

Brenneman was in limbo before the kick. He was in la-la land.

I think Mario did an excellent job in protecting the fighter.
jjeans
10/2/11 2:15:05PM
It's unintelligently defending yourself isn't it? Then why take a headkick to the face...
kingsmasher
10/2/11 6:15:31PM
He needs a title shot...
jtgribble
10/2/11 7:14:45PM
Good stoppage? Anyone watch Kongo/Barry? He's a professional fighter, he wasn't out, let him continue the fight. Maybe he was just one or two punches from losing, or maybe not....now we'll never know
MaxOne
10/2/11 8:40:23PM

Posted by jtgribble

Good stoppage? Anyone watch Kongo/Barry? He's a professional fighter, he wasn't out, let him continue the fight. Maybe he was just one or two punches from losing, or maybe not....now we'll never know

I'm with you. It was probably about to be over but how many times have we seen a fight turn around when it seemed like it was over?
ghandikush
10/2/11 9:47:31PM
Let fighters finish fights, let fighters get finished. Why does Big Nog get extra time to recover when fights get stoped all the time from a brutal knockdown? why do title fights go that extra bit?

It's stupid I think to have different standards based on a fights lace on a card. Let Anthony Johnson drop GSP like that and see if some ref has the balls to end it then.
Aether
10/2/11 10:57:12PM
it was definitely not a good stoppage. The guy was propping himself up and reacted within a second of the fight being called by shrugging and getting straight back up to his feet to complain.

Maybe he would've lost anyway, but it doesn't really matter, the stoppage was early.
tcunningham
10/2/11 11:02:16PM
it would have been a bad stoppage if the fight was going any other way than what it was. i thought it was obvious that charlie was in for a beating. it would have gotten worse from there. rumble is an absolute animal at WW
Poor_Franklin
10/3/11 1:33:03AM

Posted by ghandikush

Let Anthony Johnson drop GSP like that and see if some ref has the balls to end it then.

fonduktoe
10/3/11 10:17:43AM
it was an early stoppage. remember the first round of sanchez v guida? or even edgar v maynard 2? anthony johnson may very well have continued to dominate, or brenneman might have recovered and put up a good fight. we'll never know. at the same time refs need to err on the side of caution so i won't fault the decision to stop it. bad call or not the ref did the right thing.
Pookie
10/3/11 10:41:56AM

Posted by ghandikush

Let fighters finish fights, let fighters get finished. Why does Big Nog get extra time to recover when fights get stoped all the time from a brutal knockdown? why do title fights go that extra bit?

It's stupid I think to have different standards based on a fights lace on a card. Let Anthony Johnson drop GSP like that and see if some ref has the balls to end it then.

Addressing the Different standards bit.

When the paramount concern is fighter safety, some subjectivity is required.
Knowing that Forrest Griffin's punches(for example) carry less impact than say Chuck Liddell's, if both fighters are in the same situation that Rumble was in, It would serve the Referee's number one interest to stop Chuck from GnP'ing earlier than he would Griffin.

The power a fighter has is indicative of how much damage they can do quickly to a defenseless opponent. And when it comes to split-second decision making, The perception of a fighters power is important to maintaining a referee's #1 interest, Fighter safety.

Thus, fighters with huge power are going to get stoppages that are slightly early on occasion based on their reputation alone. And honestly, it's a good thing that this happens if you want the ref's to be Proficient at their jobs.
Boo_Radley21
10/3/11 11:06:55AM

Posted by fonduktoe

it was an early stoppage. remember the first round of sanchez v guida? or even edgar v maynard 2? anthony johnson may very well have continued to dominate, or brenneman might have recovered and put up a good fight. we'll never know. at the same time refs need to err on the side of caution so i won't fault the decision to stop it. bad call or not the ref did the right thing.

Come on man you can't compare those fights. Sanchez doesn't have the same power as Johnson, and Guida is a machine. Edgar obviously has the heart of a champion look at his whole career. Plus in neither of those fights did one guy get held by the back of his neck with his face in the ground for at least 2 minutes unable to do anything...the guy was holding him down with one hand it looked like he was an older brother screwing with his young one. After that kick it would have been all down hill for Brenneman, so I approve of the stoppage,

I wanna see Johnson vs Alves next That would be a sick fight
Bubbles
10/3/11 4:03:43PM

Posted by ghandikush

we get it. you dont like GSP. theres no need to trash him in every post
Bubbles
10/3/11 4:05:48PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by fonduktoe

Come on man you can't compare those fights. Sanchez doesn't have the same power as Johnson, and Guida is a machine. Edgar obviously has the heart of a champion look at his whole career. Plus in neither of those fights did one guy get held by the back of his neck with his face in the ground for at least 2 minutes unable to do anything...the guy was holding him down with one hand it looked like he was an older brother screwing with his young one. After that kick it would have been all down hill for Brenneman, so I approve of the stoppage,

it would look like AJ vs Hardy rather than an actual stand up fight
Boo_Radley21
10/3/11 4:13:13PM
Yea right Alves' takedown defense is on another level compared to Hardy's. Hardy has zero takedown defense.
UFC_Fanatic
10/3/11 6:06:15PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Yea right Alves' takedown defense is on another level compared to Hardy's. Hardy has zero takedown defense.

And Johnsons sheer power is on another level compared to Fitch, Story, and GSP, all of which out wrestled Alves. That being said, I still would like to see the fight, however, Alves would be giving up a massive size advantage to Johnson.
Kpro
10/3/11 6:15:30PM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Johnsons sheer power is on another level compared to Fitch, Story, and GSP, all of which out wrestled Alves.

I'd like to see that tested as I can't get my mind to envision Rumble having sheer power on another level if he faced GSP.

EDIT: I know you're not saying he'd take him down at will and control and dictate the fight, as technique and timing are just as important as strength. He's one of the strongest at 170, I just don't view his strength as on another level than St. Pierre.
fonduktoe
10/4/11 10:43:19AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by fonduktoe

i can compare those fights. in both one of the fighters was getting annihalated but the fight wasn't stopped and both fighters made a good recovery and put up a good fight. in the case of brennemman he was getting annihilated but looked like he could still fight, but the fight was stopped. i was just putting out examples of how a fighter can get god-fisted for a round and come back from it. like i originally stated, in the case of brenneman we'll never know... you're reasoning was based on aspects of the individual fighters which shouldn't matter in the context of reffing. stopping fights early or letting them go shouldn't be based on a fighter's reputation.
40ouncetpkid
10/4/11 4:25:20PM
Good stoppage, ANY REF would have stopped it. 1st kick hit brenneman in the back of the head and he was hurt BAD ON THE GROUND, just reaching for a legs with his face kissing the canvas. Somehow gets up but falls against the wall, without it he wouldn't have been standing, then eats one of the most vicious head kicks.

Very good stoppage, boy was taking a beating.