Anthony Johnson: "Whoever they bring...I will be ready for"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anthony Johnson: "Whoever they bring...I will be ready for"
betii
2/11/09 11:04:04AM
New Anthony Johnson interview.

On his win over Luigi...

"He tried to keep his distance and come in whenever he could. He tried to play the counter game with me and I’m a counter fighter anyway. He tried to dip and dive to get me to react so he could come with his overhand right or whatever. He almost caught me with it a couple of times. Thank God for my height and my reach. He never hit me in my face one time during the whole fight. The only time he hit me was in my chest and in my shoulders."

"He caught me pretty good in my babies, but they still kicking (laughing)."

"Nothing really surprised me with Luigi. I know if he would have had the opportunity to knock me out, he would have. He’s a hard puncher and after the fight, my shoulders were hurting. He was constantly hitting my shoulders so every time he swung at me, it was a strike to kill. He had some power behind his punches. That’s why I was telling everybody he was tough as nails. I never looked past Luigi at all because I knew he could knock your block off quick."

On his own progress...

"I’m starting to develop more every fight as everybody can tell. My kicks and my striking are coming along better. My wrestling is still there. I still got a lot of improving to do. Before I used to be…if I would have fought Luigi the way I used to fight in the UFC, like in my first 2 fights when I was just bomb rushing people, he would have knocked me out. I’m improving. I’m learning to pace myself and how to just stick with the strategy and not try to just depend on my athletic ability to get me by. I’m improving everyday and I still have a long way to go. I don’t think I’m near my potential."

His thoughts on St. Pierre's fight with Penn...

"I think BJ was out of it in the 2nd round to be honest with you. I don’t know the whole deal with the Vaseline, but I think St. Pierre would have still pulled it off. He was just too big and strong and it wasn’t BJ’s night. His gameplan just didn’t seem to work for him. My hat is off to GSP for what he did. He’s the champion; a true champion."

His comments on the Vaseline controversy...

"I like the way if they did do it on purpose with the Vaseline, they were slick with it. They rubbed his face and then they rubbed his shoulders a little bit, you know? They played it off smooth if they did it on purpose so I tip my hat to them for that too because they did they thing. I was telling everybody they slick with it. All trainers rub their fighters shoulders and backs just to get them relaxed and they were smooth with it if they did it on purpose. You can’t get no smoother than that, but since he got caught, he messed it up for a lot of people."

On his future plans and Matt Hughes...

"I’m not thinking about what’s next or who’s next; I’m just doing me. I’m not thinking about anything else but me. Whoever I have to go against, I’m not thinking about them. They have to worry about me because I’m just trying to do my thing. I have to make sure I become more well-rounded. That way, whoever they bring to the table, I will be ready for whatever they try to do to me. There is nobody specific that I want to fight right now. It used to be Matt Hughes, but after this weekend, I met him, because he was there with his 155-pounder Matt Veach, and he was pretty cool. My little grudge against him is kind of gone; I aint tripping off of that no more."

Much more in the full interview:

ANTHONY JOHNSON: "WHOEVER THEY BRING TO THE TABLE, I WILL BE READY FOR"
gsquat
2/11/09 12:03:28PM
Good interview. He'll give anybody in the WW div trouble. Few would be able to finish him (including GSP, Avles, etc...). War Rumble!
thefyn
2/11/09 2:44:27PM
What if they bring a finger to the eye? Will he be ready for that?
tmas
2/11/09 4:14:41PM

Posted by thefyn

would anyone? there is a reason its an illegal strike....your attempt at humor failed !!!
nastynick13
2/11/09 5:26:47PM
I want to see Rumble fight a top teir WelterWeight. I just wonder whom that is. With a majority of them fighting out of AKA. Seeing as Rumble fights out of USH with Cung Le and Josh Thompson, would he be willing to fight Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch or Mike Swick?

Oh yeah what was going on between him and Matt Hughes?
chickmagnet
2/11/09 8:55:40PM
Give him Fitch, Fioravanti has gone the distance with Leben, he was giving Diego trouble until he got caught, he had a good fight with Fitch untilhe was subbed.

Johnson vs. Fitch would be an excellent fight to really see where Rumble really stands in the division.
jawbreaker517
2/11/09 10:43:58PM
I think Anthony Johnson will eventually be the next ww champ, even though he has some maturing to do.
NatedawgThaM
2/12/09 8:11:26AM

Posted by jawbreaker517

I think Anthony Johnson will eventually be the next ww champ, even though he has some maturing to do.

I agree. It's not like GSP's never been stopped before and Anthony definitely has the power to do it again. Not now, but definitely in like 2 or 3 more fights I definitely could see him being a really big threat to GSP.

I say give him Marcus Davis or Mike Swick next. I think one of those would tell us if he still needs more time to develop before he faces the big names or if he actually might be ready for somebody like Fitch or Kos, maybe Alves.
CwB
2/12/09 9:48:52PM

Posted by tmas

Posted by thefyn

would anyone? there is a reason its an illegal strike....your attempt at humor failed !!!

I thought it was funny...

Your attempt at humor success.

Your attempt at what ever you call your post, Failure...
bls1919
2/15/09 5:35:24PM

Posted by tmas

Posted by thefyn

There a reason for his humor, your attemp at snubbing him....EPIC FAIL

Back to Johnson, dude is a wreckingball. Anyone who fights him will have a tough time. But your right about him maturing as a fighter. he might even need a loss to show him the way
Boo_Radley21
2/16/09 10:37:15AM

Posted by tmas

Posted by thefyn

Your attempt at being a dick...success!
higdon10
2/16/09 7:32:15PM
I'm still hoping to see Rumble and Swick fight. Talk about a potential brawl.
jakeiceman
2/19/09 10:53:42AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by jawbreaker517

I agree. It's not like GSP's never been stopped before and Anthony definitely has the power to do it again. Not now, but definitely in like 2 or 3 more fights I definitely could see him being a really big threat to GSP.

I say give him Marcus Davis or Mike Swick next. I think one of those would tell us if he still needs more time to develop before he faces the big names or if he actually might be ready for somebody like Fitch or Kos, maybe Alves.

I agree with Nate, I dont think Johnson deserves a shot a Fitch right now, Fitch is arguably #2, I just dont think he has earned it yet. I say Marcus Davis or Swick, both are very dangerous as well as a step up in competition.

Marcus drops bombs and so does Johnson= crazy fight that could end at any time

Swick and Johnson are both fast strikers with alot of reach, that would be 's
bls1919
2/19/09 9:23:05PM
On Jonson next fight i say give him the loser of Davis/Lytle. Mayeb even a fight with Alan Belcher. That would be a hell of a fight between two very athletic guys.
mrkennedy
2/20/09 6:41:22PM
Anthony Johnson vs the winner of Markham vs Hardy