Anthony Johnson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Anthony Johnson
MMA
6/13/07 12:34:49AM
Anyone else impressed with his UFC debut? Like Chad Reiner may not be that great of an opponent but he is a decent challenge for someone with only a 3-0 record (now 4-0). He had the experience edge and has already fought in the UFC once (decent performance against Josh Burkman).

Johnson seems to be like another one of those scary dudes with dynamite in his hands. He had a huge reach advantage as well so the guy is definitely a dangerous striker. However, I bet Reiner would have won if he played it smart and went for the TDs (assuming he could take him down). He would have definitely had the edge in cardio so he could have just outwork Johnson and probably get a submission victory.
Brownsfan222
6/13/07 1:30:54AM
AJ was impressive tonight, not too shabby for his UFC debut. That knockout was sweet. This UFN was probably the best I have watched because the only decision aired was a stand up war where I thought Stout was going down with about 10 different punches.
Ultimate_fighter
6/13/07 2:27:23AM

Posted by Brownsfan222

AJ was impressive tonight, not too shabby for his UFC debut. That knockout was sweet. This UFN was probably the best I have watched because the only decision aired was a stand up war where I thought Stout was going down with about 10 different punches.

Man, Stout was never going down, may have been rocked, but wasn't rocked enough to go down.
ac_gi
6/13/07 4:00:08AM
Anthony was peculiarly confident and relaxed for his first UFC fight. I don’t understand what warranted him getting a UFC shot already after looking at his opponents in the fight finder. Does he train with a good camp? Anyone know more about him?
cowcatcher
6/13/07 8:43:16AM
the only thing that makes me want to see him again before saying he can really throw is the fact that he too got a little rocked in the fight and reiner just ran into him chin up which is a recipe to get KTFO. not saying johnson wasnt good, he may be a good one for a long time to come, but reiner looked like an amateur.
blkssncpt
6/13/07 10:18:42AM
AJ was great, great KO. looks like he has bricks in his hands and with good speed, plus being from LA dont hurt either...
fedorwins1
6/13/07 12:43:01PM
I seen on Sherdog from one of the people who train at his camp, they said that he's an animal. People have turned down fight against him, because he's so big. They also said he has a great wrestling background and he cuts from 200!
Jamie98s
6/13/07 2:20:04PM
That was a brutal KO, He was some heavy hands for sure.
Stickan
6/13/07 2:54:37PM
He cut down from 193 so he IS a big dude.

Check out his post-fight interview on www.ufc.com. He seems like a pretty witty and marketable dude. The Rampage Jackson of 170 maybe?
DoTheMMAth
6/13/07 4:42:46PM
/stirring-the-pot

What was the deal with him saying something about "don't go crying about getting beat down by a black man"? What if Rich Franklin or some other Caucasian prefaced his fight by saying "don't go crying about getting beaten by a white"? There would be a racist uproar if the role was reversed!
Sam_Rothstein
6/13/07 5:27:06PM
yeah i really was impressed with johnsons knockout, i havent seen a guy get knocked out with his eyes open in awhile

but before i really think of him as a up and coming guy to look out for in welterweight im gonna have to see him against someone better then the grinder hahaha

i was still under the influence he was fighting steve bruno hahaha

i really need to stop picking all iowa fighters for the win :(
Stickan
6/13/07 5:50:30PM
Reiner is a pretty solid fighter but I don't know why he would run around with his chin all high like that Arona-style.

Johnson apparently trains with Chute Boxe USA and i also heard something about him training with Wanderlei so I think we can be sure that it's nothing wrong with his training.

i think it was from Josh Gross on Beatdown....

Posted by DoTheMMAth

/stirring-the-pot

What was the deal with him saying something about "don't go crying about getting beat down by a black man"? What if Rich Franklin or some other Caucasian prefaced his fight by saying "don't go crying about getting beaten by a white"? There would be a racist uproar if the role was reversed!

and look at "the boring mod" stirring the pot like that ..

I agree. I'd actually like to hear someone white daring to say something like that..
It's like black people have the right to be racists. I'm not saying that I have racial beliefs but I'm getting sick about everybody talking about equality but ignoring this question.
Damien6663
6/13/07 6:16:02PM
Has that anderson silva type build that is very hard to gameplan against, he was so impressive we didnt get to see him long enough to see his total skillset. What we know, he has very crisp punches with fast hands and ko power. What we don't know, how is his ground game and gas tank.
Sam_Rothstein
6/14/07 6:02:30PM

Posted by Stickan

Reiner is a pretty solid fighter but I don't know why he would run around with his chin all high like that Arona-style.

well reiner is okay i guess, but the only semi talented fighter he has ever beat was victor moreno

and im sure noone on this forum even knows who he is