Anthony Johnson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Anthony Johnson
chickmagnet
4/4/08 9:49:16PM
Could this guy be a contender?...he has got some mad power, that KO over Tommy Speer was brutal and same with the KO over Reiner, he had Clementi hurt badly, but in the 2nd he made a common mistake and gave up his back, I was thinking what if the UFC managment gave this guy a contender in the division and if so who? and how would he do?
cmill21
4/4/08 9:51:35PM
I really like him, I think he could do very well at WW, he's very young and talented. If he gets his sub defense to the level it needs to be I see no reason as to why he shoulden't be a serious title threat in a few years.
chickmagnet
4/4/08 9:55:24PM
do u think they should give him a guy a step up in competition like....The winner of Ryo/Roan? or Paul Taylor? that would be a brawl.
gravy13
4/4/08 10:59:22PM
I was really impressed with his striking against Speers. Speers was so unbelievable outmatched during that fight. Right after he knocked him out I thought he reminded me of Anderson. Just the precision of his strikes. Also, he seems to be a really big 170.
NatedawgThaM
4/4/08 11:13:20PM
He's the Chuck Liddell of the welterweights! He uses his good wrestling to keep the fight off the ground and has some sick power, and even better, he actually has some pretty good technique!

So I see a big future ahead of him as long as he grows some submission defense. Because the welterweight division is mostly wrestlers. He just needs to work even harder on the sprawl and gain some sub defense and he'd be a severe probably for anybody.

A fight between him and Davis or Alves would be sick! I think as long as he follows the footsteps of Chuck Liddell, especially since he has better technique with his stance, I think he could really be something. I mean Speer is a superb wrestler and he sprawled pretty nicely. Very fine future for this young man!
Mchubb316
4/4/08 11:20:08PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

He's the Chuck Liddell of the welterweights! He uses his good wrestling to keep the fight off the ground and has some sick power, and even better, he actually has some pretty good technique!

So I see a big future ahead of him as long as he grows some submission defense. Because the welterweight division is mostly wrestlers. He just needs to work even harder on the sprawl and gain some sub defense and he'd be a severe probably for anybody.

A fight between him and Davis or Alves would be sick! I think as long as he follows the footsteps of Chuck Liddell, especially since he has better technique with his stance, I think he could really be something. I mean Speer is a superb wrestler and he sprawled pretty nicely. Very fine future for this young man!

I think that is what impressed me the most is his ability to avoid the takedown against Speer. I dont think speer had a chance in the standup game with him, and I would like to see how he would fair against a striker equal or better than his own ability. How does he adapt and handle pressure? What kind of chin does he have? Things I personally would like to see before I can truly say he is going to be a contender.
Rush
4/4/08 11:56:37PM
I'm not thinking much of him right now. He looked good the other night, but so have so many other fighters that were thought to be the next big thing. Then BANG! next thing you know they've lost 2 or 3 in a row.
TimW001
4/4/08 11:59:50PM
I think he's really good and has alot of potential. I've been following him for soem time. I know that he used to train at Chute Boxe back when Wandy/Ninja/Wanderlei were all still there. And all did sparring with the kid. I think they put him in the UFC a bit too soon. But I think he has alot of potential. Needs to work a bit on his sub defense and conditioning though.
wolfman
4/5/08 12:04:08AM

Posted by TimW001

I think he's really good and has alot of potential. I've been following him for soem time. I know that he used to train at Chute Boxe back when Wandy/Ninja/Wanderlei were all still there. And all did sparring with the kid. I think they put him in the UFC a bit too soon. But I think he has alot of potential. Needs to work a bit on his sub defense and conditioning though.

To be fair, he took the fight on short notice with Rich and it showed. Clearly his cardio was not the best due to the short notice. So, I guess his cardio is still a question mark, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.
AchillesHeel
4/5/08 9:08:59AM

Posted by Rush

I'm not thinking much of him right now. He looked good the other night, but so have so many other fighters that were thought to be the next big thing. Then BANG! next thing you know they've lost 2 or 3 in a row.

Right. I think he looks great so far, but there's still a greater likelihood that he's the Houston Alexander of Middleweights than the Chuck Liddell of Middleweights.
Bowen50
4/5/08 10:22:25AM
i really like the guy. he seems like he has the skill to compete with some of the top guys of the division. i think he should fight thiago alves, what a fighter that would be.
Twenty20Dollars
4/5/08 10:36:14AM
man he is for real
tylerlee123
4/5/08 10:48:32AM
I'd love too see Johnson vs Sanchez or Kocheck, Imagine ?
Pookie
4/5/08 10:54:09AM
With the way the WW division is, i think johnson has a good possibility of doing well.
Almost everybody is a wrestler in that division, if he can continue to improve his sprawl i think we'll start seeing him climb the ranks.

and btw the fightwith clementi was at 163 and he got the fight on short notice. Short notice + 7 additional pounds of weight cutting after cutting to fit to 170 = terrible cardio. Give him a pass on clementi. He was dominating it before he gassed due to the massive dehydration.
owen1
4/5/08 3:21:06PM
Ya hes definately a solid fighter.He has K.O power in both his hands and is also really quick.As most people said he if he continues to improve his sprawl he can go far.Not to mention he won me some money against Tommy.
DCRage
4/5/08 5:21:08PM
He's definitely a rising star and one to watch. I'd give him one more fight at either prelim or opening PPV level, and if he wins that he's ready for midcard.
tylerlee123
4/6/08 7:01:58PM
I cant really say that there is a stand up guy like this in 170 he hits so hard and he's so fast and accurate....scary
bls1919
4/6/08 11:15:26PM
this guy puts the hurt on dudes. he hass all the tools standing, his ground game needs work. to me he is like a 170 lb kimbo. Fast Strong punches, suspect ground game. Johnson willbe a handful for anyone at 170
cowcatcher
4/7/08 12:28:51AM
who has he beaten? thats my big issue here, if he walked in and beat a guy like karo or alves then id be more inclined to give him big praise. he does have a lot going for him, length(height and reach), explosiveness, ko power, and decent wrestling. but these things are also possesed by guys like guillard, alexander, randleman and lesnar and the achilles heel that all of those guys share with him is sub defense. time and time again us guys that are keyboard warriors come out and say "if he improves his sub defense he will be a force", yet that hasnt happened with any of them, so is this even possible with guys that rely so heavily on their natural athletic ability? im not sure but so far its been a resounding no. the point is he hasnt done a whole hell of a lot yet, but he definately has an upside, i just need to see more before i call him a contender.