Anniversary dinner suggestions and/or recipes?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Anniversary dinner suggestions and/or recipes?
emfleek
9/30/09 2:21:32PM
I'm going to make dinner for my girlfriend tonight. Today is our 6 month anniversary and I already feel like a big douchebag because I didn't realize it until she pointed it out to me. Sooo...

I need suggestions. What should I make her for dinner? I have quite a few hours to prepare. She doesn't get off work until 11pm, so I have plenty of time to prepare.

Any suggestions? Fish is not an option, FYI, and all meat must be prepared "well done" (which is a shame, I know...).
kopower
9/30/09 2:52:56PM
Don't get to fancy. It's only been six months. When the 1 year rolls around you'll have to top the previous dinner.

Maybe some sort of pasta dish and a bottle of wine if you are the romantic type
emfleek
9/30/09 2:55:08PM

Posted by kopower

Maybe some sort of pasta dish and a bottle of wine if you are the romantic type

I thought about that but I made spaghetti for her last week.

I'm thinking cheese pizza and bondage.

jae_1833
9/30/09 3:06:04PM
Keep it relaxed and make her something that doesn't require a lot of skill so that if you mess it up it won't be a total bust. Try grilling up some chicken and serving it in a salad with some sort of cool dressing. A little wine added to it, and cheesy garlic bread (no kissing after ) try buying a nice piece of chocolat fudge brownie or cake as well for desert and eat it off of her.........
Rush
9/30/09 3:08:12PM
Try this.

Buy some ribs. Wrap them in saran wrap really well. Put them in the oven in a roast pan with a bit of water for about 4 hrs (300 deg F). This slow cooks them so the meat just falls off the bone. It is important to make sure they don' t dry out. After the ribs are slow cooked, they can either be marinated or sauced and stored in the fridge. To finish them, throw them on the grill to char them a bit and make sure they are hot.

Buy some small red potatoes (ping pong ball size). Mix them in a bowl with some chopped garlic, olive oil, FRESH rosemary, and green beans. Roast the mixture in the oven for about 45 min.

Serve with some red wine, candles.

Even if you buy the best quality ribs, this will only cost you as much or less than an equivalent meal in a decent restaurant.

emfleek
9/30/09 3:13:38PM

Posted by Rush

Try this.

Buy some ribs. Wrap them in saran wrap really well. Put them in the oven in a roast pan with a bit of water for about 4 hrs (300 deg F). This slow cooks them so the meat just falls off the bone. It is important to make sure they don' t dry out. After the ribs are slow cooked, they can either be marinated or sauced and stored in the fridge. To finish them, throw them on the grill to char them a bit and make sure they are hot.

Buy some small red potatoes (ping pong ball size). Mix them in a bowl with some chopped garlic, olive oil, FRESH rosemary, and green beans. Roast the mixture in the oven for about 45 min.

Serve with some red wine, candles.

Even if you buy the best quality ribs, this will only cost you as much or less than an equivalent meal in a decent restaurant.

That's exactly how I cook my ribs only I add homemade BBQ sauce.

The pototo dish sounds quite tasty, too. I may give that a try.
StorminYourman
9/30/09 4:11:50PM
Bacon wrapped scallops with cherrry relish and rice pilaf.

It is easy and you will look like the man.

mix 1 package pitted cherries(dried,frozen, or fresh no worries) and 1/2 cup cherry jelly or preserves with 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar,teasoon of mustard,1/2 chopped onion,1/2 can red roasted peppers(chopped) in oiled pan and cook at med heat for 5-7 minutes

Cook bacon halfway
wrap applewood bacon around lightly seasoned(old bay preferably)sea scallop
use skewer or toothpick to keep bacon on scallop
bake in preheated oven at 425 for 10-14 minutes on a greased tray

top scallops with relish and serve aside rice pilaf.

next step eat then get some
breakdown5
9/30/09 6:04:13PM
Order take out from a nice place, throw it on a plate, heat until warm when she gets home. Nice and easy.

kopower
9/30/09 6:47:04PM

Posted by breakdown5

Order take out from a nice place, throw it on a plate, heat until warm when she gets home. Nice and easy.

I agree!!!

Just make sure and throw away the evidence to make it look like you slaved away all day in the kitchen.

I've always found my gal loves a nice c*ck meat sandwich at the end of a long day
Ordep
9/30/09 6:55:48PM
Bacon Explosion?
You're the one who discovered it(for us) now it's time to use it.

or maybe that's one for the 6th year and not month.
three_days_of_grey
9/30/09 7:11:06PM
Ha! You should feel like a douchebag for feeling like a douchebag about this. Ribs are good, but if you're going for romance, you don't want that meat stuck in your grill with sauce on your face. And since she hates red meat and wants it destroyed by cooking it well-done, I would serve chicken. Here is a good recipe that I have tried a variation of:
You will need:

1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1/3 C. chopped onion
2 garlic cloves minced
1 bunch fresh spinach or 8 oz. frozen and thawed, drained
6 T. feta cheese
4 T. chopped black olives
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 C. dry white wine or chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil and butter together in a saute pan. Saute onion and garlic until soft but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add spinach and saute for another 5 minutes. (fresh spinach should be wilted) Cool slightly and add 3 T. of the feta cheese and 2 T. chopped olives.

Wash breasts and pat dry. Cut a pocket in the side of the chicken, being careful not to cut through the other side. Divide the spinach mixture and stuff the pockets, squeeze together openings.

Brown in a hot skillet, about 3 minutes per side. Mix remaining feta cheese and olives together with the wine. Pour over the chicken breasts. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven or until the juices run clear.

As a garnish I would recommend some sauteed asparagus.

Appetizer: Beef Stuffed Mushrooms

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound lean ground beef
2 pounds fresh mushrooms-stems removed, chopped and reserved
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup soft bread crumbs
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine and stir in the mushroom stems, green bell peppers, garlic, parsley and basil.
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, mushroom stem mixture, dry bread crumbs, soft bread crumbs and Cheddar cheese.
Place the mushroom caps, upside down, on a large baking pan. Generously stuff each cap with the mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until the filling is golden brown.

This oughta keep her mouth shut until your ready to put your...dessert in it.

-OUT-
emfleek
9/30/09 7:46:44PM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Ha! You should feel like a douchebag for feeling like a douchebag about this. Ribs are good, but if you're going for romance, you don't want that meat stuck in your grill with sauce on your face. And since she hates red meat and wants it destroyed by cooking it well-done, I would serve chicken. Here is a good recipe that I have tried a variation of:
You will need:

1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1/3 C. chopped onion
2 garlic cloves minced
1 bunch fresh spinach or 8 oz. frozen and thawed, drained
6 T. feta cheese
4 T. chopped black olives
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 C. dry white wine or chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil and butter together in a saute pan. Saute onion and garlic until soft but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add spinach and saute for another 5 minutes. (fresh spinach should be wilted) Cool slightly and add 3 T. of the feta cheese and 2 T. chopped olives.

Wash breasts and pat dry. Cut a pocket in the side of the chicken, being careful not to cut through the other side. Divide the spinach mixture and stuff the pockets, squeeze together openings.

Brown in a hot skillet, about 3 minutes per side. Mix remaining feta cheese and olives together with the wine. Pour over the chicken breasts. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven or until the juices run clear.

As a garnish I would recommend some sauteed asparagus.

Appetizer: Beef Stuffed Mushrooms

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound lean ground beef
2 pounds fresh mushrooms-stems removed, chopped and reserved
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup soft bread crumbs
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine and stir in the mushroom stems, green bell peppers, garlic, parsley and basil.
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, mushroom stem mixture, dry bread crumbs, soft bread crumbs and Cheddar cheese.
Place the mushroom caps, upside down, on a large baking pan. Generously stuff each cap with the mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until the filling is golden brown.

This oughta keep her mouth shut until your ready to put your...dessert in it.

-OUT-

That sounds f'ing wicked. I've already decided on something (Pepper Steak) but will definitely use this recipe in the future (minus the feta, I think).

Thanks!
breakdown5
10/1/09 12:01:37AM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Wash breasts and pat dry.

I thought this came after dinner.
CanadianCripplr
10/1/09 6:18:01PM
My wife was the same, well done. Over the years I got her to now eating med, med-well. Cook it med well and let it rest. If you have peppercorn sauce that can cover some of the slightly pink juice that scares her.
I used to hate making filet mignon well done. what a disgrace. Bernaise sauce is always a plan with steak. I rarely have steak without it or peppercorn sauce.
The small new potatoes are never a bad thing, especially if you can get a small bag with 3 colors, white or yellow, red, purple. Tossed with EVO and garlic and spices never fails.
A nice bottle of wine before dinner never made anything taste bad Im aware of....