Andrei Arlovski Wants to Fight Before Negotiating New Deal

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Andrei Arlovski Wants to Fight Before Negotiating New Deal
wolfgarnaud
11/9/07 2:49:36PM
It’s not the salary demands that has former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski sitting on the sidelines. The Chicago-based fighter, who has one fight remaining on his current deal, just wants to fulfill the terms of his contract before he considers negotiating a new one.

Apparently unwilling to do that, the UFC has kept Arlovski sitting on the sidelines since his UFC 70 victory over Fabricio Werdum nearly seven months ago.

Roman Modrowski shed some light on the situation in today’s edition of the Chicago Sun-Times (MMAjunkie.com also mentioned the Arlovski-UFC situation briefly on Wednesday).

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/11/09/andrei-arlovski-wants-to-fight-before-negotiating/

cmill21
11/9/07 3:12:00PM
I've read alot of reports about AA lately, and to me it all sounds like he'll be leaving.
KOright89
11/9/07 3:23:20PM
It would really suck if Arlovski left. They should give him his last fight ASAP so that his mind could be made up sooner whether or not he's leaving...
loonytnt
11/9/07 3:26:59PM
i hope he does leave, i love to watch him fight but if the UFC is tryin to pull a you fight here or you fight no where thing like they are tryin to do with randy i think he needs to go

WAR AA
wrona666
11/9/07 3:27:37PM
Well if he does leave i hope he signs with M1 and fights Fedor.....that would be a match i would like to see...!!
wapttn
11/9/07 3:50:55PM
Thats a shitty situation, and i would hold it against ufc management if it wasnt what every organization with exclusive contracts did. If money isnt the issue.. then why not sign? I have a theory that he wants a contract that is everything he wants, or to hold out and get in there with m1. His soviet blood is probably telling him that he should go fight fedor and collect a massive pay day there.
cmill21
11/9/07 3:55:16PM

Posted by wapttn

Thats a shitty situation, and i would hold it against ufc management if it wasnt what every organization with exclusive contracts did. If money isnt the issue.. then why not sign? I have a theory that he wants a contract that is everything he wants, or to hold out and get in there with m1. His soviet blood is probably telling him that he should go fight fedor and collect a massive pay day there.

I agree and it's tough for all these guys, with mma booming, there are orgs popping up with the money and since pride was folded there's talent spread all over, so now it simply becomes, who's going to give you the most freedom, and who's closest to home. We've seen japanese fighters sign in K-1 for the same or less, Russians sign in M-1 for the same or less, and I think it's going to continue, and we might end up with a bunch of orgs all over the place, one big one may pop up in brazil, which would be a disaster for the UFC IMO.
wolfgarnaud
11/9/07 4:01:55PM
that makes sense
xAcidburNx
11/9/07 4:53:25PM
id love to see arlovski fight brandon vera before he goes. vera has talked about fighting him and i think with both these guys styles it will be a fantastic fight. then after arlovski wins he can take off to fight fedor in mother russia no. ...
xAcidburNx
11/9/07 4:56:21PM
come to think of it. If randy actually ends up leaving. then if tim silvia manages to beat big nog. itd be retarded for arlovski to stay. no matter what he does. no ones gonna wanna watch another silvia/AA champ fight.
Rush
11/9/07 5:07:09PM
Andre probably wants another chance for a better performance before the possibility of (re)negotiating his contract. Let's face it, 3 of his last 4 fights have not been stellar performances.

pv3Hpv3p
11/9/07 5:51:21PM

Posted by Rush

Andre probably wants another chance for a better performance before the possibility of (re)negotiating his contract. Let's face it, 3 of his last 4 fights have not been stellar performances.

Just to add my $0.02... The only really 'bad' or boring fights he's had have been the 3rd fight with BigTim and the Werdum fight...

Sure he lost the second fight to Sylvia, but it was good non the less.... And the fight with PdPa was entertaining to say the least... How often do you get to see a guy KO someone while he's sitting on his ass???

I agree with most folks who say that the UFC should stop keeping their fighters hostage... Either that or fighters have to start signing 1 fight deals or something...
roman
11/9/07 9:40:19PM

Posted by KOright89

It would really suck if Arlovski left. They should give him his last fight ASAP so that his mind could be made up sooner whether or not he's leaving...

That's why they won't give him a fight. The UFC doesn't want him to go to the competition.

The UFC is really starting to sound like scumbags to me. How can they just hold him in this contract like this? They talk about respecting contracts and fighters but I don't see it. Dana lies right to everyones face when he says "we want AA to fight but he hasn't came up to us." They really seem to treat their fighters like shit and if they don't turn it around I think they are going to lose more and more of there top talent (and they won't turn it around because they feel this is how you should conduct business).
jgordon85
11/9/07 10:02:56PM

Posted by roman

Posted by KOright89

That's why they won't give him a fight. The UFC doesn't want him to go to the competition.

The UFC is really starting to sound like scumbags to me. How can they just hold him in this contract like this? They talk about respecting contracts and fighters but I don't see it. Dana lies right to everyones face when he says "we want AA to fight but he hasn't came up to us." They really seem to treat their fighters like shit and if they don't turn it around I think they are going to lose more and more of there top talent (and they won't turn it around because they feel this is how you should conduct business).

that is true. i think that is why the tuf guys are starting to be there foundation and might pretty soon be all the talent that they have. the guys who dont win the contract but still fight in the ufc get paid crap if they did not win like two or three matches.
arlovski needs to stay and fight only good things and good matches can happen.
Rush
11/9/07 10:15:14PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Just to add my $0.02... The only really 'bad' or boring fights he's had have been the 3rd fight with BigTim and the Werdum fight...

Sure he lost the second fight to Sylvia, but it was good non the less.... And the fight with PdPa was entertaining to say the least... How often do you get to see a guy KO someone while he's sitting on his ass???

I agree with most folks who say that the UFC should stop keeping their fighters hostage... Either that or fighters have to start signing 1 fight deals or something...

Pe de Pano (PdPa?) he never fought this guy. edit -- yes he did. I got mixed up with another Pe de Pano.. --

Vs. Sylvia 3 and and Werdum were 2 of his last 3 fights. Sure he won 2 of those three, but these two were so bad people were complaining.

I wasn't saying that Arlovski is in danger of losing his contract. In fact, the way it was worded "Arlovski wants to wait until after his next fight" gives me the impression that the UFC has already contacted him for negotiations. I was only saying that Andre probably thinks that he has a chance getting better terms if he can put up a good performance for his final fight.
Boo_Radley21
11/9/07 10:35:56PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Pe de Pano (PdPa?) he never fought this guy.

He did actually. It was at UFC 66 when he kicked him in the face in a heel hook and as soon as the ref gave him the ok he drilled him in the face and knocked him out. I loved that fight and had a pretty good laugh at the look on Arlovski's face right before he hit him. He had the biggest grin like he knew Cruz was going down.
Rush
11/9/07 10:57:49PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

He did actually. It was at UFC 66 when he kicked him in the face in a heel hook and as soon as the ref gave him the ok he drilled him in the face and knocked him out. I loved that fight and had a pretty good laugh at the look on Arlovski's face right before he hit him. He had the biggest grin like he knew Cruz was going down.

You're right. I made a mistake. I got him mixed up with all the other Pe De..... guys.
nubby
11/10/07 1:16:24AM
Yup but what if his next performance is lack luster again. Basically he will still ask for a raise and if he doesn't get it he will leave. Arlovski is looking for a raise even if he doesn't deserve it.
xAcidburNx
11/10/07 3:39:54AM
honestly i dont think fighters should get raises for being exiting. thats what the bonuses are for. raises should be dealt to guys who win and so far arlovski has only lost to tim recently. I dont see why people blame arlovski for being boring anyways. with tim 3 he broke his leg in the second round for damn sakes. if i broke my leg and my corner man told me to go out there and be more exciting id punch em in the nose. then he goes and puts on a pretty good fight with pe de pano and like someone else said KO's him while sitting on his ass! lol. after that he fights werdum and yes it was boring but it takes two to tango and werdum didnt make it easy for him to get goin. plus unless a KO happens in the first round with big tim its bound to be a boring fight so id place the blame more on tim. Arlovski knows people dont see it like this and most people would be like "pfft broke his leg my ass. excuses excuses." so he does the smart thing and wants to fight to redeem himself before he ends up signing for a shitty contract. the only way i see AA fighting soon is if he caves in to douchebag white. other weise were gonna have to wait till his contract runs out and personally i think he can wait considering he has a lot of other things on his plate atm.
Rush
11/10/07 10:24:03AM

Posted by nubby

Yup but what if his next performance is lack luster again. Basically he will still ask for a raise and if he doesn't get it he will leave. Arlovski is looking for a raise even if he doesn't deserve it.

Wouldn't you look for a raise regardless? I would.

I'm sure he has a backup plan, some other org might have already made him an offer. Considering Andre is from Belarus, it might be M1. You never know.

All in all, I like the fact that talent is spreading out. There are enough good fighters out there you cannot have them all in one org.