Andrei Arlovski May Have Recently Tried To Kill Himself

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Andrei Arlovski May Have Recently Tried To Kill Himself
DCRage
8/6/09 11:17:33AM
Seriously. According to a fighters.com article posted yesterday, the former UFC Heavyweight Champion confessed to playing Russian Roulette recently, and it wasn't the first time. Apparently he has been having trouble dealing with his last 2 fights, losses to Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers, and returned to his native Belarus to get help.

Article
emfleek
8/6/09 11:19:21AM
Wow...hopefully he did seek some professional help if, in fact, this is true.
cowcatcher
8/6/09 11:23:37AM
jeez what do you say about that...these guys get a lot of crap from people on different forums, and that coupled with the fact that they are all high level competitors makes losses that much more painful. this is the kind of stuff that makes me glad we dont allow fighter bashing on here, sometimes we forget that these are real people and having thousands of people talking down about you is a real blow to the normal persons psyche. i hope he makes peace, i dont want to read a follow up article to this one.
DCRage
8/6/09 11:53:46AM
It seems to have helped based on what he said, seems now like the question is whether more MMA or boxing is next for him.
dangerfield
8/6/09 12:25:05PM
Poor guy...

Its easy to forget that when a guy starts losing and isn't in the limelight or what have you that that's everything they've lived and worked for, just slipping away.

To us they jsut get replaced and we concentrate on the replacement but for them thats life.

Reminds of something I heard once, 'you don't cry for the toys in the cupboard when you've got a new one in your hand'.

It was actually about girls but it sounds deep here.

Hope he feels better, its a lame thing to say but I do.
slapshot
8/6/09 12:51:54PM
Hope this is BS, never want to see a fighter off himself......
prozacnation1978
8/6/09 1:04:57PM
i will always stand by arlovski
he still is one of my favorites no matter how many losses he has
george112
8/6/09 1:07:43PM
i to hope this isnt true.

i say he just needs to keep training and jump back on the horse.get some confidence back.
sparky
8/6/09 1:56:42PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I couldnt have said it better myself!!!
Nightmare27
8/6/09 2:45:45PM
I hope that he gets all of the help that he needs, cant wait to see him get back in the win column. Definetly in my top ten favorites.
joshryanshepherd
8/6/09 4:23:01PM
That's shoking and sad at the same time. but at least his last two fights weren't as bad as Sylvia's, so that's a plus
Edwards
8/6/09 4:35:14PM
i hope arlovski gets his life together and gets back to fighting because i think the guy is a amazing fighter but most important i hope the guy is ok
whardin19
8/6/09 5:10:20PM
This is really sad if its true. Arlovski is a good fighter that has just had a string of bad luck. I hope he gets his life back together and gets resigned by the UFC. I'd love to see him back.
SmileR
8/6/09 5:41:55PM
Andrei said a while ago that he played it when he was 16 and it was a stupid move which he'll never repeat.
Other pieces of the interview I have already read word for word which leads me to believe its a mash of different interviews.

EDIT: Its not exactly trying to kill yourself either.
MMA-San
8/6/09 8:42:32PM
This isn't true...I think if anything this is just some stupid intenet rumor. Like th time it was spread around that Lee Murray escaped Morrocco, highjacked a plane and flew to Cuba...that story made it to teh cover of Sherdog back in 2007...I hope this one doesn't do the same.
warglory
8/6/09 9:25:05PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I agree
Art_Jimmerson
8/6/09 10:58:19PM

Posted by cowcatcher

jeez what do you say about that...these guys get a lot of crap from people on different forums, and that coupled with the fact that they are all high level competitors makes losses that much more painful. this is the kind of stuff that makes me glad we dont allow fighter bashing on here, sometimes we forget that these are real people and having thousands of people talking down about you is a real blow to the normal persons psyche. i hope he makes peace, i dont want to read a follow up article to this one.

It's like being a celebrity, if you put yourself into the spotlight you have to be prepared to take the criticism.
bigbubbano23
8/6/09 11:09:32PM
i know he was recently at the ny mma expo and he appeared fine. if it is true i hope he realizes that he is an important part of peoples lives and he has forever made an impact on some.
Jimbo
8/7/09 2:15:17AM

Posted by SmileR

EDIT: Its not exactly trying to kill yourself either.

this. the aim of the game is to NOT kill yourself.

but still a stupid thing to do.
Rush
8/7/09 1:33:01PM

Posted by Art_Jimmerson

Posted by cowcatcher

It's like being a celebrity, if you put yourself into the spotlight you have to be prepared to take the criticism.

If for one minute anyone thinks that fighters give two shits about average people's opinions on them or their skills they are totally mistaken.

When these guys lose I am banking on two things being of concern in their head.

1) Not being able to handle the fact that they are not the best of the best and/or not having an answer to the question. Was I not performing up to my best or was my opponent better than me despite me doing my best?

2) Where their next paycheque is going to come from. Because their career hinges delicately on their performance/record, it can be a great source of stress. This is especially the case considering the win-loss thing is more black and white than it should be. That is, you can still be a great fighter and lose to only top guys, but it ends up looking much worse on paper.