Andrei Arlovski vs Brandon Vera

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Andrei Arlovski vs Brandon Vera
POLL: Who wins....and how....?
Arlovski by KO/TKO 60% (28)
Arlovski by Submission/Tapout 2% (1)
Arlovski by decision 13% (6)
Vera by decision 6% (3)
Vera by Submission/Tapout 11% (5)
Vera by KO/TKO 9% (4)
veritas
9/1/07 1:54:26PM
With Brandon Vera recently signing his new contract with the UFC they should be throwing him right into the mix again.
I think Vera vs Arlovski could be a potentially incredible battle, one where Vera could prove his legitimacy by defeating a top notch competitor, and also one where Arlovski has the opportunity to be the exciting fighter we all know he can be. By fighting Vera, I dont think he will be able to coast on through by playing conservative.
Who do you think wins...and how...?
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
DJDark41
9/1/07 1:55:32PM
SicJits
9/1/07 1:59:34PM
isn't vera signed to fight sylvia?
veritas
9/1/07 2:01:42PM
ya hes gonna fight tim sylvia, but after that hopefully these two will meet.
Porch28
9/1/07 2:08:34PM
Vera will DOMINATE!!!!!!!!!
shawneth
9/1/07 2:10:31PM
Why on earth is this in the News section?
silverbullet
9/1/07 2:31:55PM
Twenty20Dollars
9/1/07 9:36:33PM
either love'em or hate em. I like andrei, Vera is overrated I'd have to see how he does againest contenders and then I would believe into the hype if he beat contenders.
Pitbull09
9/2/07 12:10:32AM
Andre is getting underrated with all these neew heavyweights and a KO to Vera would help him move up.
veritas
9/2/07 3:29:01AM
My bad about posting this in the news section guys. I just went to recent polls, clicked on one of em, then clicked on start a new poll. Apologies...
warglory
9/2/07 2:11:11PM
I would give the edge to Arlovski in this match.
skinnyb
9/2/07 6:26:58PM
great matchup but i think that vera takes it because of his better ground game and superior knees and muai thai clinch.
xchickox
9/2/07 6:35:06PM
this would be a good fight but i'd still rather see the vera vs slyvia fight, especially after arlovski's last performance
gamez0932
9/3/07 6:06:52PM
I think vera would be able to pull it off, hes fighting good right now.
Cladrix
9/3/07 10:41:32PM
Although Vera is a fantastic fighter..... He hasnt fought championship caliber fighters...... I think the only one was Frank Mir...... I think Arlovski will take this one.
mkiv9secsupra
9/3/07 10:50:01PM

Posted by skinnyb

great matchup but i think that vera takes it because of his better ground game and superior knees and muai thai clinch.

hes a Sambo world champ. The ground game is his forte. Kickboxing is just his favortie way to fight.
adamal
9/3/07 11:31:23PM
That would be a cool match. But I think it looses something since Vera is fighting Tim. I think it could have been a great match since it would be both of their first fights in a while.

I like Arlovski if they go at it but in no way would I count Vera out he has so much talent and is so versitle.
JWils
9/4/07 10:50:58AM
I really hope this fight happens someday.

This fight would be very entertaining. Right now I'd take Arlovski just because of his experience in big fights. Both are very athletic, smooth strikers that could end it at any time.

This is definitely a fight that I would pay to see.
LightsOut33093
9/4/07 7:43:20PM
why are u guys talking about this fight that might not even happen

he is fighting tim sylvia and i see vera getting knocked out in the 2nd round
Jackelope
9/4/07 8:31:16PM
I'd love to see the fight but I don't see it helping either fighter much no matter who wins. Due to recent inactivity both of these guys wouldn't prove much by beating each other. I'd like to see Arlovski and Vera both fight someone established currently.
LightsOut33093
9/4/07 9:45:14PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'd love to see the fight but I don't see it helping either fighter much no matter who wins. Due to recent inactivity both of these guys wouldn't prove much by beating each other. I'd like to see Arlovski and Vera both fight someone established currently.

i don't see why evry1 is in love with vera, he has proved nothing
TOP 3 WINS:
1.assuerio silva
2.mike whitehead
3.frank mir (way past his prime)

i bet tim sylvia is shaking right now
Jackelope
9/5/07 2:00:15AM
^^ Haha, I'm not disagreeing with you. Vera has mad potential, everyone knows that. But I see where you're coming from. That's why I'd like to see both of them fight someone established so we can know if they're really still as good as they once were
LightsOut33093
9/5/07 11:20:26AM

Posted by Jackelope

^^ Haha, I'm not disagreeing with you. Vera has mad potential, everyone knows that. But I see where you're coming from. That's why I'd like to see both of them fight someone established so we can know if they're really still as good as they once were

so, who are you picking in the sylvia/vera fight?
Jackelope
9/5/07 2:47:59PM
Honestly it depends on how hungry Sylvia walks in there. If Sylvia walks into the octagon pissed about his loss and isn't afraid to put it on the line to bang big on his feet then I'll give it to him.

mkiv9secsupra
9/5/07 4:30:01PM

Posted by Jackelope

Honestly it depends on how hungry Sylvia walks in there. If Sylvia walks into the octagon pissed about his loss and isn't afraid to put it on the line to bang big on his feet then I'll give it to him.

even if Sylvia doesnt have the drive he is still a monster of a guy and can jab out a decision over lots of top guys and Vera isnt even a top guy.

Im hoping Sylvia gets a title shot after CC wins the title. I honestly think that would be a good match.
Jackelope
9/5/07 4:44:22PM
The thing is that Brandon Vera is a good boxer. Sylvia's reach would definitely help him if he would choose to try to jab out a decision. Sylvia's not a bad boxer, either, but if Brandon could get up in his grill and throw some punches from in close I could easily see him scoring a couple of knockdowns. Plus, Vera's a pretty strong guy and Tim's not the fastest when it comes to getting back up on his feet.

I'm not a Tim hater at all, btw. That's why I think if Tim came in hungry and utilized a good side step to punch vs. Vera (like he did against Gan McGee and against Arlovski) then I think Tim could destroy him.

On the flip side if Tim came in tentative and Vera rushed him I could see Vera having enough power in his hands to really daze Tim and possibly pull out a finish. (As long as he could get side control after the knockdown)
mkiv9secsupra
9/5/07 4:54:50PM

Posted by Jackelope

The thing is that Brandon Vera is a good boxer. Sylvia's reach would definitely help him if he would choose to try to jab out a decision. Sylvia's not a bad boxer, either, but if Brandon could get up in his grill and throw some punches from in close I could easily see him scoring a couple of knockdowns. Plus, Vera's a pretty strong guy and Tim's not the fastest when it comes to getting back up on his feet.

I'm not a Tim hater at all, btw. That's why I think if Tim came in hungry and utilized a good side step to punch vs. Vera (like he did against Gan McGee and against Arlovski) then I think Tim could destroy him.

On the flip side if Tim came in tentative and Vera rushed him I could see Vera having enough power in his hands to really daze Tim and possibly pull out a finish. (As long as he could get side control after the knockdown)

Its going to take a lot to finish Tim. Arlovski rocked the hell outta Sylvia in their second fight and put Tim on his back and before AA could even capitalize on it Sylvia stood right back up and countered him....didnt knock him out but if Sylvia puts his weight on you its going to either wear you out getting him off or your just not going to be abel to get him off. If Vera can get Sylvia in guard/half guard he can probly catch something
Jackelope
9/5/07 5:07:42PM
The problem I see with grappling Tim is that his reach and weight is just so intense it'd be hard to do anything from anywhere but the side mount. Having a high side mount on Tim would probably allow Vera to rain down the punches hard enough to knock him out or at least have a ref stoppage.

You're definitely right about Tim, though. He's hard as hell to KO and just so damn big.

With him weighing so much, being so strong, and having that much reach advantage getting him in your guard is begging to get stacked, rolled, and mounted a la BJJ day 1. I could see someone like Big Nog working the hell out of Sylvia in his guard by grabbing one of those tasty long ass arms or a long ass leg for a delicious arm bar or knee bar, but not Vera. Especially since Vera isn't known for his submission skills haha. At least when you're in Tim's guard you can put your head low to avoid his upswings, push him against the fence, and work his body like Couture did.