Andre Arlovski vs Ben Rothwell at Affliction: Banned

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Andre Arlovski vs Ben Rothwell at Affliction: Banned
Mchubb316
5/12/08 9:55:51PM
Affliction just announced today that Andre Arlovski and Ben Rothwell will fight each other at Affliction: Banned on July 19.

The “Banned” fight card will be the first show promoted by Affliction and has one of the best fight cards of the year. Both Rothwell and Arlovski are under contract with Adrenaline MMA but are fighting with permission on the Affliction card. Since the inaugural Adrenaline event is just a month earlier, both fighters will not be available for the Adrenaline show. The Adrenaline website does say both fighters are still scheduled to compete on the second Adrenaline fight card on September 6.

Source
bullettdodger
5/12/08 10:01:24PM
sweet mmaplaygrounders in socal UNITE!
cmill21
5/12/08 10:04:21PM
So this is up for card of the year.
GrandMaster313
5/12/08 10:07:07PM
This looks like a pretty deep fight card so far. This line up looks better than anything i've seen UFC put together in a while. We'll see how it plays out
SmileR
5/12/08 10:07:24PM
Thats just a blog man! And then when you click on the link they used it says Rothwells opponent its TBA!
The Affliction site still says Rothwells opponent its TBA too.

I was so excited to see this an now i'm back waiting for news.

I wish the UFC or anyone would sign Andrei so i can see him fight again.
wolfman
5/12/08 10:10:20PM

Posted by SmileR

Thats just a blog man! And then when you click on the link they used it says Rothwells opponent its TBA!
The Affliction site still says Rothwells opponent its TBA too.

I was so excited to see this an now i'm back waiting for news.

I wish the UFC or anyone would sign Andrei so i can see him fight again.

Yeah, it looks like it is a just a rumor for now. I hope it does come true though!!! Definitely a sweet card so far.
GrandMaster313
5/12/08 10:11:20PM
Damn trickery !!!!
juanez13
5/12/08 10:14:51PM
doubt it, even more since Monte cox said it himself that he doesnt know if the match is possible at this point, since andrei still hasnt signed with anyone right now, and is in talks with UFC amongst others

Are they going to be heavyweights who fight each other in this upcoming Affliction show?

The only thing I can say is Rothwell is going to fight in Affliction. It’s up to them who he fights. I’d love it to be Andrei, but they’re the ones who ultimately get to make that decision. They had at one point talked about having Ben fight Aleksander Emelianenko, and then of course they talked about Andrei, but I don’t know what his contract status is. He was supposed to be free from his UFC contract on May 1, but I honestly don’t know if it will be Ben and Andrei fighting in that show. [Affliction] is supposed to have a press conference in the next week or two to announce some of that, but I honestly can’t say at this point..

LINK
prozacnation1978
5/12/08 10:49:08PM
looks like andre is out of the ufc. what a shame, the ufc heavyweight division is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!
krthll1
5/12/08 10:57:11PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

looks like andre is out of the ufc. what a shame, the ufc heavyweight division is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!

They'll fix it up. I have faith in Joe Silva and Dana White to find some more good talent out there.
jahdoug
5/12/08 11:48:39PM
If this comes true that will be 4 HUGE heavyweight matchups on this card, not to mention the other great fighters featured
Pitbull09
5/12/08 11:49:16PM
This is no doubt right now card of the year. Amazing how Affliction pulled this off on their first card but Im not complaining.

Im not a fan of HW fights but how cant you want to see these. Rothwell gets a chance at showing hes in top 10 for HW and Fedor gets better compeition. This card is crazy/
ufc88
5/12/08 11:58:37PM
Andrei Arlovski by destruction
MMAHQ
5/13/08 12:07:49AM
My story is legit guys. Ben Rothwell confirmed the bout himself both to me and in the Sherdog.net forums today
MMA
5/13/08 12:26:13AM
Ben's a solid fighter who has been on a tear lately. However, this will definitely be a big step-up for him, I'll be interested to see how well he performs.
MMAcca
5/13/08 1:17:06AM
With every fighter announced this card becomes more unbelievable.

I'll beleive it when i see it
bustin_mma
5/13/08 1:23:30AM
Arlovski is going to give Rothwell all sorts of problem, he is just as good of a striker, mabye better and much more explosive. his ground game is also much better IMO but Rothwell is a tough s.o.b. but i still think he doesnt make it to the 3rd round
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/13/08 2:24:59AM
Interesting fight...I take Arlovski
gartface
5/13/08 2:26:46AM
Rothwell will knock him out
DaMaGeInC
5/13/08 4:39:16AM
if this goes down AA wins via knock out. not saying rothwell isnt a haus or anyhing but what a mistake letting AA out of the ufc. if hes gone i think Werdum vs vera is the title contender really mir has a little more work> not sayin hes is possibly one of the best at top health but another win would be nice. AA is a ufc man i would love to see him back
Broknmunky
5/13/08 8:21:04AM
AA by viscious KO!
Twenty20Dollars
5/13/08 8:50:17AM
im taking AA via tko.
xburbx
5/13/08 9:22:38AM
No doubt Afflication is putting on a solid card, but the key will be putting up a card like that over and over. If Affliction can sustain its business, it will face all the growing pains of the other organizations, most of which really cant hang. Props to them for getting a card like this in place.
Darnok
5/13/08 11:00:08AM
At some point all of these fighters have to realize they are just pawns in the Randy vs. Dana fight. I mean look at the fighters on the card, Affliction is bleeding money just to try and steal as many of the HW's as they can.

I mean they must know that there is no way this company can stay afloat after paying these kind of wages to the fighters. So it is obviously a short term employment choice.

All the UFC has to do is ride out the first fight card from Affliction and the First two cards from Adrenaline and all of the fighters will be asking to come back after the cheque bounces.

If I was one of these fighters I wouldn't be chasing this one big payday over stable employment. Unless of course most of these guys are planning on retiring and this is there last fight then it would make sense.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/13/08 11:59:11AM
WAR AA!
Jipper
5/13/08 12:14:07PM
I love that the events being called "Banned" . The UFC gave them the name for there 1st event.
prozacnation1978
5/13/08 12:26:39PM
i will be amassed if they can pay all those top tier fighters money that they are over paying them, yes they might have a awesome show but that might be the last one they have ever,
sad to see aa go from the ufc, but i think alot of these guys like tim, andre, will be back in the ufc sometime in the future again,

i love the ufc, but i am hoping they realize what a problem the heavyweight division is and start making decisions to make it competitve again,
they need to sign some big names like barnett, maybe rizzo again,

they did good with middleweight division with emergence of maia, henderson, bisping dropping weight, couple other fresh young guns

now focus on heavyweights, only thing is guys aren't going to drop weight to help save that weight class!!!